Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable cord reel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out how to install a ceiling-mounted retractable charger cord reel?

The best way to do this is with a counter weight system.

The Roadster HPC (70A) cable is a lot heavier than the Model S HPWC (80A) cable. I did the counter weight system for the Roadster HPC cable, but it has never been an issue for me with the Model S HPWC cable.

I will try to take and post a picture later of my Roadster counter-weight system.

There is a picture in some thread of a custom installation that appeared to be very expensive.

I did it and it was not expensive at all. Search for a "tool balancer" they usually go by weight. From memory, the cord is about 12 lbs but I found that info in the forum and bought a used one on eBay for $45. Attach it to the ceiling with a "J" hook like you use to hold a bike to the ceiling.

If you run into problems, I can take a picture of mine, but very easy and effective.

I did it and it was not expensive at all. Search for a "tool balancer" they usually go by weight. From memory, the cord is about 12 lbs but I found that info in the forum and bought a used one on eBay for $45. Attach it to the ceiling with a "J" hook like you use to hold a bike to the ceiling.

If you run into problems, I can take a picture of mine, but very easy and effective.

I'm glad you were able to do it without spending much money. I found the "expensive" custom installation I had been referring to. I'm guessing this one cost quite a bit more than $45! :)

Overhead Cable Reel Install for the HPWC

I'm glad you were able to do it without spending much money. I found the "expensive" custom installation I had been referring to. I'm guessing this one cost quite a bit more than $45! :)

Overhead Cable Reel Install for the HPWC

No doubt. I finally got off the couch and took some pics. Cheap and effective!

IMAG0025.jpg
IMAG0026.jpg

can't find that on Amazon. Where u get that reel?

You're kidding, right?

Amazon.com: tool balancer

As I mentioned, I bought a used one on eBay, but they are readily available, just do a search on Google for "tool balancer". Grainger has them, eBay, Amazon, etc. Make sure you get one that locks in place, though almost all should. Also, you need one that holds the weight of the cord. You can weigh it or do a search, but I think it is 12 lbs. Probably can use one that handles less weight as the entire 12 lbs. will never be on at once.

With the extra cord, I also got those large "J" hooks for the ceiling.

There is a commercial product called eVoReel, but between the 30A limitation, and not being a fan of running power through coiled cords, I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Personally, I'm using a cheap retractable dog leash (added some weight to the handle), allowing me to easily raise/lower the J1772 handle.

I did buy a tool balancer a long time ago (check eBay, you can find some really good deals on these), but never got to installing it.

The tool balancer approach should give you the same results as the cable management system ChargePoint uses with their public charging stations (works really well).

• Love
Reactions: Cmer