Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the huge metal threaded thing in the charging cable bag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - that's mine. They were supposed to send it to me...very strange that you got it, 'cuz it's of much more use to an Alaskan.
It'll be very obvious: the increased coriolis effect of someone in tropical environs like Atlanta means that you'll definitely not be able to thread it onto your southern-localed car. If you don't believe me, try it out: the ring is supposed to be threaded into a site below your nose cone. Remember, of course: righty-righty.

See? It didn't work.

So you can send it on to me.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just picked up my wife's new S70D. There is a forward production change mostly due to the dual motor S losing most of the frunk space, and also losing any reasonable access to the space under the trunk floor (the fuzzy mat does not remove easily). Originally there was a space/compartment under the frunk floor in non-D cars to stow a tow hook. Many early Model S however did not receive the hook, nor was there a threaded receptacle behind the nose cone to thread it into even if you had one. My May 2013 S85 does not have a hook or a receiver. What TM has done is revise the black mesh UMC tote bag. It has a separate side zippered compartment which contains/holds the tow hook (nicely done pocket and Velcro to hold it securely). I assume all new S come with this UMC/tow hook setup. The problem for me is that I leave the UMC plugged into the NEMA 14-50 at home and keep the black UMC bag hooked over the cord holder. Thus on a routine local daily basis, we do not drive around with the UMC bag in the car. Thus, for my wife's S70D, I put the tow hook into a separate bag inside the frunk, so it is always with the car.

The new D cars still have a space under the frunk floor to stow a tow hook; a co-worker (I am a temporary contractor at the Seattle delivery center; two days left) recently showed me where it is. It is a bit of a pain to pull up the frunk carpet to get at it.

However, most of the cars I have been delivering are shipped to the delivery centers with the tow hook just sitting in the frunk. So before delivery, we typically put them in the dedicated back-pocket space that most UMC tote bags have. There is also a place to stow the J1772 adapter in there.