Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question: Does the navigation system pick up addresses from the browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't have our Tesla (Model X) yet but I was curious if it was possible to click on an address in the browser and navigate to it.

My wife is a realtor and often goes out with customers to show houses. It would be really cool if we could create a web page that she could load in the browser of the car (a list of addresses) that she could simply click on to navigate to the next home. She now plans those trips at home and uses an external GPS unit. A web page (I could create a web app) which would show the addresses in sequence she could click on would be incredible helpful. She could even mark them off and track her mileage.

Another option of course would be if she could send a route with way points to the car but this would not even be as flexible.

Anyone know or care to try loading a web page with an address shows and see if they can click on it?

Thanks!

I'll sidestep your actual question and ask if you've tried just setting these addresses and times in a Calendar, because I know the car will nav to the addresses in calendar appointments, syncing the car's Calendar with the phone's Calendar via Bluetooth.
Easier than a web app.

Thank you. I can't try it yet until the X comes out :). That is an idea though. I would have to create separate calendar items and set them in the right order. Not undoable of course but not what I was hoping for

I believe it will, because if you press and hold a finger on the map, it will put up a blue location point (I've done this by mistake while showing the car). I believe you can navigate to that point--although I've never tried it.

I was more looking for a way to click on an address in the browser and not on the map. The address in the browser (on some web page) should then be used to navigate to that location.
The browser is very limited. It's just about good enough to use Yelp to find a restaurant or Trip Advisor to find a place to stay. I believe they are going to change browsers at some point (my guess is 7.x) and that may give additional functionality.

The web browser is pretty bad on the Model S. I have the same problem sometimes having to go to many different addresses in one day. What I do is create a calendar event for each address. The calendar in the car will sync from your phone and show all events as a list. You can now tap on each event and the navigation system will automatically start and lead you there. It is literally a one tap and go thing. Works great for me.

Thank you. I can't try it yet until the X comes out :). That is an idea though. I would have to create separate calendar items and set them in the right order. Not undoable of course but not what I was hoping for

Just for completeness, the other way (apart from calendar) to get external addresses into the nav is through the contacts/addressbook on your phone. Probably even less practical for your application, but another option.