Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 70D & CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters CHAdeMO Adapter

Take advantage of the global network of DC charging stations by enabling onboard hardware and purchasing an external adapter. CHAdeMO stations enable charging at up to 150 miles of range per hour.
This adapter is specifically for the North American and Japanese versions of Model S. A separate adapter is required for European, Australian, and Chinese versions of Model S. For Model S without Supercharging enabled, onboard hardware must be activated to use the CHAdeMO adapter. Every 85 kWh Model S is already Supercharging enabled.

I assume that for the 70D since it is Super Charger enabled, I don't need to pay 1900 bucks for the CHAdeMO charger and only 450 for the adapter?

How useful is it for around Southern California?

There is no charging account link BLINK or CHARGE POINT huh?

That is correct. Since Supercharging is enabled on your car, you won't need to enable it.

Now, not too sure how Supercharging is out in southern CA, but CHAdeMO can be helpful on those trips where Supercharging is a bit rare, but a Nissan dealership is close by...

There are HUNDREDS of CHAdeMO stations in SoCal. Unless you like driving way out of your way to only use Superchargers, I recommend the adapter.

I would NOT waste my time getting a Blink card, as those chargers are troublesome and becoming quite rare. But, the card is cheap to get, just in case. I think the price is 49 or 59 cents per kWh... not cheap.

I recommend for SoCal:

1) NRG / eVgo
2) ChargePoint
3) Greenlots app