Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D stuck in production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far my emotions around my Tesla have went from excitement to pure frustration.

I ordered my car on May 1, it went into production on June 4th, and is still stuck in production. It was supposed to be a Late June delivery, but I don't see how that's happening at this rate. My DS has been good communicating with me, but there's only so much he can see too. It appears that my Model S was never shifted in the line and it's stuck in the paint department. 22 days in production is a little long. It also makes me nervous that there are some major QA issues with my car. There's no option that I have that hasn't been built and delivered before and after my car.

My DS has reached out to a program manager at the factory to try to get an update, but haven't heard anything yet.

Anyone have any similar experience? Is there anyone outside of my DS I should be talking to?

Zer0cool? Are you the guy that crashed fifteen hundred and seven computers in one day?

- - - Updated - - -

Not to scare you, but there was a TMC member whos car (I think 70D) failed the QC process, and he was issued a new VIN and had to get back in que to restart production.
That doesn't scare me. Not knowing is the only thing that bothers me.

I am aware of one instance where a MS P85D did not pass factory inspection due to that car's particular paint job. Eventually, the fellow was issued a new VIN and the new car restarted in the queue and production process. The paint color was the pearl white mettalic. He eventually did get the new car and was happy with it.

I have no idea what happened to the original car that failed inspection.

I empathize how frustrating your situation is. But speculation just feeds frustration. Your DS will let you know when he learns more. Additionally, My Tesla is not always current or accurate. Just hang in there as best you can.

I empathize how frustrating your situation is. But speculation just feeds frustration. Your DS will let you know when he learns more. Additionally, My Tesla is not always current or accurate. Just hang in there as best you can.
You're right about speculation. We definitely can tell ourselves stories and rarely is it positive.

I think from now on I prefer to think that my Tesla has escaped the factory and is free range living on solar. Once they wrangle it back in and domesticate it then they can send it off to me to take care of for the rest of it's life. :biggrin:

if it was a do-over car (there have been some) - and if they knew it couldn't get to you by June 30, then what I would guess is they would put it off until now so that they could have made more cars that would make it to customers by end of Quarter. However, I did see some European destined cars enter production in mid-June and surely they will not make it by EOQ.

I was pretty much where you are a year ago. The threads showed quite a few cars ordered after mine were delivered by the end of the quarter. A California car with a VIN 3000 higher than mine got bumped up from August to June 30. Picking up in Chicago doesn't help any at quarter end unless there is a shipment of cars they could add yours to.

It won't help to talk to someone other than your DS.

As others have said, frustrating but worth the wait.

My DS got back to me today with a good update. My car was held up in a portion of the line that had some manufacturing issues ahead of it. He had it moved to another line and now it's in NVH, which I believe is the last step. It shouldn't be long now!

No panic, just an update. I'm happy to see any changes at this point since it shows things are moving.

Well, hopefully they toss it on a truck for you and have it to Chicago within 2-3 days, then delivery next day. Mine didn't get stuck, but it did go back into the production queue status for a few days - means it is sitting in the massive lot outside the factory waiting for transit.

Hopefully though you also get put on a truck and sent in if you want it fast. It was a surprise when mine did that as it delivered early a bit. Trains take 1-2+ weeks sometimes and are less predictable, but a truck to Chicago takes 2-3 days and a day to prep the car for you usually.

-T

Hopefully though you also get put on a truck and sent in if you want it fast. It was a surprise when mine did that as it delivered early a bit. Trains take 1-2+ weeks sometimes and are less predictable, but a truck to Chicago takes 2-3 days and a day to prep the car for you usually.

-T
My DS said that it'd at least be here by mid-July, but he was going to try to pull some strings to get it on a truck. Here's to hoping!