Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla video looks to be shot in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Does anyone else think that the recent Tesla video appears to have been shot in Australia.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwlX4_nkaE[/video]
The car is driving on the left and the grey green of the landscape looks Australian.
I'm thinking south Coast below Sydney.
Does anyone recognise where this is?

Does anyone else think that the recent Tesla video appears to have been shot in Australia.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwlX4_nkaE[/video]
The car is driving on the left and the grey green of the landscape looks Australian.
I'm thinking south Coast below Sydney.
Does anyone recognise where this is?

Looks to me like the Great Ocean Road just past Lorne, in Victoria.

Great Ocean Road. Tesla had an event down at the RACV resort last weekend, test drives along the GOR etc, guess they filmed a bit too.

This footage is crossing the George River, heading west along the GOR:
Google Maps

I always thought they should film an ad along there, 12 Apostles, general GOR driving and amazing landscapes. Also film a bit up on the Black Spur or Acheron Way around Marysville for some tall trees and animals.

Last edited:
Great Ocean Road. Tesla had an event down at the RACV resort last weekend, test drives along the GOR etc, guess they filmed a bit too.

This footage is crossing the George River, heading west along the GOR:
Google Maps

I always thought they should film an ad along there, 12 Apostles, general GOR driving and amazing landscapes. Also film a bit up on the Black Spur or Acheron Way around Marysville for some tall trees and animals.

The camera man was obviously filming from a helicopter. Those few seconds of footage must have cost a mint. Helicopter timed to pursue the Tesla sweeping left and right and no other cars on the road. Doubt it was done on the first take too.

The camera man was obviously filming from a helicopter. Those few seconds of footage must have cost a mint. Helicopter timed to pursue the Tesla sweeping left and right and no other cars on the road. Doubt it was done on the first take too.

Probably filmed using a drone, a lot cheaper than a real helicopter. Also there was another car driving past from the opposite direction ;)

Due to the fact that the grazing white cow or whatever it is seems quite unperturbed, I'm guessing it's a drone that captured this footage...cost, permits, organisation etc. are orders of magnitude less than choppers too.

Whoops didn't see cynic's post but obviously I agree!

There are several official Tesla videos already shot as far back as late 2011 showing the model S driving on the right hand side of the road.

For an international market, it would seem biased to keep shooting videos in that format.

Remember, the UK and Hong Kong and possibly others I cannot think of are also LHD markets and Australia has some unique and nice looking areas to drive to so why not shoot here for the international market

As for the one billion miles, as an American company, it would be weird for them to use kilometres as a reference as in my opinion, all the data they collect worldwide would be converted back to the imperial system for them to calculate a distance from a single frame of reference

Otherwise they would have to say that Model S has driven 780,000 miles and 354,200 kilometres worldwide for a total of 1 billion miles

Some original Australian TV cop shows were exported to the US - the chase scenes were inverted so the cars looked like they were on the right side of the road!
Yes I imagine that happens often.

Apparently when the T2 was chasing the young John Connor on his motorcycle, T2 was actually sitting behind a fake steering wheel in the truck on the passenger side. The real stunt truck driver was next to him, but they inverted the image to kick him back on the driver's side.

I am surprised that a drone can fly that quickly. It looks mighty fast. But I am no expert.

Definitely "drone" footage. Unmanned aerial vehicle with a camera on it. My money is on an inspire 1 and they can do 80 kms per hour easy. I'm getting used to spotting inspire footage (I fly one) as there's a problem with every 8 frames with a refresh and you can spot a slight glitch every time. Mostly people blame it on YouTube - if they even notice it.

One day I hope to drive that same route in my Tesla :)

Yup, they really need a super charger in Apollo Bay (197km & 3 hours from Tesla supercharger in Cremorne), that'd open up that whole region and make almost the entire GOR drivable, although you'd probably want a destination charger or two in both Portland, Port Fairy and Warrnambool for those staying the night.

Definitely "drone" footage. Unmanned aerial vehicle with a camera on it. My money is on an inspire 1 and they can do 80 kms per hour easy. I'm getting used to spotting inspire footage (I fly one) as there's a problem with every 8 frames with a refresh and you can spot a slight glitch every time. Mostly people blame it on YouTube - if they even notice it.

One day I hope to drive that same route in my Tesla :)

There is at least 1 HPWC in Warrnambool at the end of the Great Ocean Road - happy to share !