Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Options - show with traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the navigation have any options for quickest route with traffic taken into account? I don't see anything but Google definitely can handle this. I also didn't see any options to select highway only or non toll options.

I'm curious about this too. I *think* Tesla nav is based on minimal kwh usage. Because when I compare the Tesla Google maps to my phone's google maps, my phone often takes me through different routes that would be faster (though probably higher kwh usage).

My rule is to use Waze on my phone. Although Waze can be viewed on screen, it updates very slowly and is, to me, useless. Waze does work very well for optimal routing, traffic alerts and other factors. I plug the phone in a usb so it does nto discharge and usually place it on the dash so I can easily see it and make reports myself. IT would help to have it onscreen but we'll need 4G for any reasonable updates anyway.

Reactions: CHL
Does the navigation have any options for quickest route with traffic taken into account? I don't see anything but Google definitely can handle this. I also didn't see any options to select highway only or non toll options.

This is under 'controls' then 'app' then navigation where you can select changing the route based on time savings.

My rule is to use Waze on my phone. Although Waze can be viewed on screen, it updates very slowly and is, to me, useless. Waze does work very well for optimal routing, traffic alerts and other factors. I plug the phone in a usb so it does nto discharge and usually place it on the dash so I can easily see it and make reports myself. IT would help to have it onscreen but we'll need 4G for any reasonable updates anyway.

+1. Waze seems to be better at rerouting as well.

Reactions: CHL
In the past Waze had always been much better than the Tesla nav. On my last road trip though, Waze and Tesla matched very closely. I did notice that when the Tesla first calculated the route it seemed to choose the shortest path, but then after a few minutes it updated to take traffic into consideration, and usually ended up matching Waze. It also changed routes based on changes in traffic around the same time that Waze would.

I was very happy with the Tesla nav now, and am glad I can put away the phone.

Is this new? Mine did not update with traffic.

In the past Waze had always been much better than the Tesla nav. On my last road trip though, Waze and Tesla matched very closely. I did notice that when the Tesla first calculated the route it seemed to choose the shortest path, but then after a few minutes it updated to take traffic into consideration, and usually ended up matching Waze. It also changed routes based on changes in traffic around the same time that Waze would.

I was very happy with the Tesla nav now, and am glad I can put away the phone.

Is this new? Mine did not update with traffic.
I confirm that my nav behaves the same way and re-routes for optimal time taking into account traffic. I agree also it is pretty close to Waze/Google. What I have learned by experience is that it underestimates time on streets as opposed to highways; I usually add a few minutes to any projections on surface streets. I'm not sure why this is...

Yeah, it definitely takes traffic into account when determining routes. However, it has a (configurable) margin it uses to decide if an alternate route is worth taking. So it won't, for example, reroute you to only gain an extra couple minutes.

That being said, one thing it doesn't do is actually factor in traffic when showing its travel time estimates. I do wish it would do that, and/or show both with and without traffic time estimates.

In estimating an alternate time-saving route, when slow traffic is detected
along the current route, it appears to use average city street speeds, or
possibly even speed limits, but not properly estimate time for traffic lights,
left turns, or stop signs. So a through-town route MIGHT take a lot longer
than just staying in the slow traffic on the freeway. Or, the nav's suggestion
might be a substantial time saver, and it is difficult to know which is better.

Helpful information would be the amount of time to traverse the "slow" section
that it is trying to avoid, and how much time it expects the alternate route to take,
along with the distance of each path.

Then one could better evaluate its estimates and make a choice.

Sometimes, if fuel is an issue, the shorter, slower path will use less energy.