Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New interactive range calculator (now tops at out 70MPH)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
Planner is a few pages down here: Model S | Tesla Motors

This seems a little disingenuous to me. Around here with the top posted limit at 65 MPH It's almost expected to get on the highway and drive at least 80 MPH, or you better get out of the way in the right lanes. This happens even when 55 is posted.

What happened to driving an electric car without compromises? I want to see what range I have driving 80-85.

Planner is a few pages down here: Model S | Tesla Motors

This seems a little disingenuous to me. Around here with the top posted limit at 65 MPH It's almost expected to get on the highway and drive at least 80 MPH, or you better get out of the way in the right lanes. This happens even when 55 is posted.

What happened to driving an electric car without compromises? I want to see what range I have driving 80-85.

On the other hand, east coast speed limits are 55mph.
At 90 degrees, AC on (most of the times),

45mph -
70D - 346mi
S85 - 329mi
85D - 344mi
P85D - 344mi

55mph -
70D - 296mi
S85 - 290mi
85D - 300mi
P85D - 296mi

60mph -
70D - 272mi
S85 - 273mi
85D - 281mi
P85D - 274mi

Even at 70mph, the real range difference between 70D and 85D is only 20 miles.
Practically speaking on long trips,
- An 85D will have to stop at every supercharger that the 70D will have to stop at,
- And the stop will be 5 minutes shorter with 85D
- And the faster accelaratoin that you'll rarely ever use.

Y'know, you can keep that bigger battery. I'll keep the 10K.
And if the bigger frunk is not important to you, why would you ever get a S85!

Last edited:

45mph -
70D - 346mi
S85 - 329mi
85D - 344mi
P85D - 344mi

55mph -
70D - 296mi
S85 - 290mi
85D - 300mi
P85D - 296mi

60mph -
70D - 272mi
S85 - 273mi
85D - 281mi
P85D - 274mi

- An 85D will have to stop at every supercharger that the 70D will have to stop at,

Way to threadjack the thread!

I agree OP, there should be up to 155mph. That's the top speed of the car, right?

- - - Updated - - -

The 21" wheels have the least effect (% wise) on the 70D as compared to all the other models.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if it's 0F outside and you're doing 70mph. Then it's almost a 50mile difference.

Normal highway speed limit here is 110km/hr (68mph), common convention around here is to go 10km/hr over the speed limit, which takes us up to 75mph. They just upped the speed limit on a few of the highways in the next province over to 120km/hr (75mph) which makes the expected speed 130km/hr (80mph) (over a high mountain pass at that)

Why would I want to calculate my range at 70mph (112km/hr) when NOBODY drives that slow on any of those roads?

Normal highway speed limit here is 110km/hr (68mph), common convention around here is to go 10km/hr over the speed limit, which takes us up to 75mph. They just upped the speed limit on a few of the highways in the next province over to 120km/hr (75mph) which makes the expected speed 130km/hr (80mph) (over a high mountain pass at that

This is what the speed limit signs look like in Ontario. Why is it that people see the word "Maximum" and interpret it as "Minimum"???

1334518355717_ORIGINAL.jpg

This is what the speed limit signs look like in Ontario. Why is it that people see the word "Maximum" and interpret it as "Minimum"???
Ontario is not all of Canada, and a large portion of the rest of the country has higher speed limits than that posted. As for why people drive over the limit, it is because failing to do so is extremely dangerous and makes you a hazard on the road. The safest speed is always the same speed as everyone else.

That said, I wish that behaviour would change, I'm all for upping all speed limits by 20km/hr and then setting that to be a true maximum enforced properly. But as long as speed limits remain comically low, often unchanged in many decades despite big improvements in both vehicle and road design, people won't have any respect for them.

Because the posted limit is ridiculously slow, it's for a 60 year old grandmother driving a car made in 1950. It's hard for people to imagine how bad those cars were. You could hit something at 15 mph, flip over burst into flames and kill everyone inside.

45mph -
70D - 346mi
S85 - 329mi
85D - 344mi
P85D - 344mi

55mph -
70D - 296mi
S85 - 290mi
85D - 300mi
P85D - 296mi

60mph -
70D - 272mi
S85 - 273mi
85D - 281mi
P85D - 274mi

Something is wrong with the 70D data here. Raising the outside temp from 70 to 90 with AC on increases the 70D range (while decreasing all the others). That doesn't seem right.

Also, based on the old data, 0-degree range with heat on @70MPH is ~50 miles more on the 85D than on the 70D. That could easily be the difference between having to SuperCharge and not on ski trips here in the northeast.

I agree that in most cases the 70D is the best value, but certain commuting habits still make a strong case for the 85D.

Ontario is not all of Canada

Wasn't trying to be Ontario-centric... just pointing out that most, if not all speed signs have words like "Maximum" or "Limit" in them.

The safest speed is always the same speed as everyone else.

I don't necessarily agree. There are also legal Minimum Speeds. Some jurisdictions post them. I believe in Ontario it is defined as something like 30 km/h below the posted Maximum. Transport trucks, RVs, people towing trailers all generally are moving slower than the posted Maximum and are hardly a hazard. Someone driving below the legal Minimum Speed... sure that can be hazardous.

To bring this back on topic, often I will drive at or below the posted Maximum to extend my electric range. In doing so, lane discipline is very important and I always stay to the right except when passing. What I do find annoying, and dangerous, is that sometimes when I move left to pass a slower vehicle, with every intention of moving back to the right when I'm done, is some idiot will fly up behind me while I'm half way through the pass and drive 6" off my rear bumper. Clearly that's not got anything to do with traffic moving at different speeds, because we both are now moving at exactly the same speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Because the posted limit is ridiculously slow, it's for a 60 year old grandmother driving a car made in 1950.

North American speed limits were lowered in the 1970's due to the so-called Energy Crisis as a way to improve fuel efficiency. An unintended consequence was that accident and injury rates also declined. As such, when the "Energy Crisis" ended, it was difficult for the politicians to raise the limits back up knowing full well it would lead to more carnage.

North American speed limits were lowered in the 1970's due to the so-called Energy Crisis as a way to improve fuel efficiency. An unintended consequence was that accident and injury rates also declined. As such, when the "Energy Crisis" ended, it was difficult for the politicians to raise the limits back up knowing full well it would lead to more carnage.
And cars and highways became safer, and there are fewer DWI. Correlation does not equal causation.
We're not seeing carnage on the road in Texas where speed limits have gone up to 75-85 mph on appropriate highways.

Hate to say it, but it's just classic salesmanship I would think (kind of like the pricing "after gas savings").

Say you have a speed demon potential customer who gets on there and cranks it up to 85mph for a "what if" and sees the range drop precipitously, he goes "What?! 1XX miles? Fuhgetaboutit!" However, since it stops at 70 he probably just erroneously infers "Hmm okay, 231 miles at 70mph on 21"...I bet 85mph is only like 225 or something....."