Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customized electronics installs in the Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few customizations I'm planning to do to my P85D when it arrives. Blackvue cam is one, clean integration of stealth radar detector (buttons integrated into interior), more USB ports, etc. Since I want them modifying the interior for clean integration it is important they do good work.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the south or east bay that does really really good work?

HI Manis, My name is Joe and I own OCDetail in Walnut Creek. We share space with Walnut Creek Customs and they have done many radars/blackvue installs for my customers with great results. Feel free to email if you would like a quote. Thank you!

I highly recommend Sound Innovations in Union City. They added parking sensors to my Signature (and about 20 other early Model S's). Documented with pics here. And they recently installed a K-40 radar detector in my P85D. Great workmanship, easy to deal with and lots of Tesla experience. The owner Ernie now drives a Model S!

Address: 29400 Kohoutek Way #100, Union City, CA 94587
Phone (510) 471-9062

"HI Manis, My name is Joe and I own OCDetail in Walnut Creek. We share space with Walnut Creek Customs and they have done many radars/blackvue installs for my customers with great results. Feel free to email if you would like a quote. Thank you!"

I can vouch for (just about anything[!]) Joe posts here. He is a man of excellent integrity and...the best detailer I have ever met. And he KNOWS Teslas.

Well, I credit the community for helping me find a local resource. I talked to Dan/WC Customs (talk about a responsive business owner!) and I'm having the Blackvue 650 Front/Rear system installed on Friday. I'll have it at TMC Connect 2015 over the weekend if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure it'll look great since WC Customs is getting very good reviews on yelp.

Manis, good luck with your delivery tomorrow. Congratulations. I see things like window tinting, dash cams, and more in your future. :)

- K

Well, I credit the community for helping me find a local resource. I talked to Dan/WC Customs (talk about a responsive business owner!) and I'm having the Blackvue 650 Front/Rear system installed on Friday. I'll have it at TMC Connect 2015 over the weekend if anyone wants to see it. I'm sure it'll look great since WC Customs is getting very good reviews on yelp.

- K

I just spoke to Dan at WC Customs, he mentioned he was working on a Tesla on Friday. Nice guy.

What are you planning to do while they work on your car? Hang around there? Please post some pics of the install, I'd like to see it.

NY888, one of my company's offices is located nearby so I am going to take an Uber and work for the day. :) If you're thinking about waiting the 4 hours (Dan's estimated install time), I would recommend:

For working: Walnut Creek Library ... it's really nice and modern with wifi
Shopping: Broadway Plaza Mall
Coffee/lounging: Lots of Starbucks nearby
For going: WC Bart is only a 10 minute walk away
For Ferris Bueller style: there is a movie theatre within walking distance next to the Cheesecake Factory.

Sure, I'd be happy to post install photos and possibly a demo video afterwards. I'll also be at TMC 2015 if anyone wants to see how the final product in person.

- K

B
NY888, one of my company's offices is located nearby so I am going to take an Uber and work for the day. :) If you're thinking about waiting the 4 hours (Dan's estimated install time), I would recommend:

Coffee/lounging: Lots of Starbucks nearby
For going: WC Bart is only a 10 minute walk away
For Ferris Bueller style: there is a movie theatre within walking distance next to the Cheesecake Factory.

Sure, I'd be happy to post install photos and possibly a demo video afterwards. I'll also be at TMC 2015 if anyone wants to see how the final product in person.

- K

Thanks. Hopefully I'll have mine done next week.

Note the Walnut Creek Tesla Store is in the Broadway Plaza Mall if you find yourself going into Tesla withdrawal. :)

Manis, good luck with your delivery tomorrow. Congratulations. I see things like window tinting, dash cams, and more in your future. :)

- K

Thanks! Delivery was a nightmare and tint was delayed because of it, but I have my car and that's all that matters :)

I'd love to check out the install sometime. I won't be at TMC connect, but I'm south of you so maybe if we're in the same area on the same day we can meet up.

One of the members here pointed us to this thread after we installed his 9500ci radar detector + laser jamming system. There are many options and also many companies in the Bay Area performing these installs. Below are some photos of how we install the system.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm us or give us a call

Attachments

• IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
  • IMAG0775.jpg
    IMAG0775.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG0776.jpg
    IMAG0776.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMAG0777.jpg
    IMAG0777.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 353
  • IMAG0778.jpg
    IMAG0778.jpg
    869 KB · Views: 357
The install at WC Customs went well. The job was done super clean and there are no wires showing anywhere except for where they go into the Blackvue cameras. I had this wired for always on. Dan was attentive to my mount preferences and explained in detail how the install was going to happen.

From the front, power is drawn from the fuse box in the frunk. Wiring came up the A-pillar, inside the headliner trim, then out the black housing behind the mirror. The rear camera is connected to the front camera through the headliner, into the rear black rubber boot, then out of the aluminum inside the car (this required a hole to be drilled and grommeted) to the rear cam. The install is so clean, you can't even see either camera from the driver's seat or in the rear view mirror. No NVH issues so far.

So, how fresh and clean was the install? Like this: OutKast - So Fresh, So Clean - YouTube

... or if you like pictures better:

20150710_160652.jpg

20150710_160744.jpg

20150710_160804.jpg

20150710_160819.jpg

20150710_160838.jpg

20150710_160856.jpg

- K

16GB card that came with it works, but the date/time is screwed up. It will not upgrade firmware over the air. Records about 4 hours of content. GPS is spotty at detecting speed, and location is not showing up. Trying a 64 GB card this morning and doing the firmware update manually using the SD card plugged into my laptop. Power Magic Pro was not installed because there doesn't seem to be much of a point in a Tesla. I can see why you would use it in an ICE. Total time at shop was roughly 5 hours.

- K

16GB card that came with it works, but the date/time is screwed up. It will not upgrade firmware over the air. Records about 4 hours of content. GPS is spotty at detecting speed, and location is not showing up. Trying a 64 GB card this morning and doing the firmware update manually using the SD card plugged into my laptop. Power Magic Pro was not installed because there doesn't seem to be much of a point in a Tesla. I can see why you would use it in an ICE. Total time at shop was roughly 5 hours.

- K

I just bought a 64Gb Transcend card, will try to prep it before the install.