Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Took my 70D supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Supercharged the 70D today. Mainly to check charging times for future trips.

I got there with 28RM, roughly 10%.

Time (mins) RM
0 28
5 54
10 83
15 109
20 129
30 162
45 198
Less than an hour 10%-90% charged.

Based on TM.com the 85D charged 170 miles in 30 mins. The 70D took 45 mins, but I didn't start from 0%...

The official website claim of 170 miles in 30 min is unrealistic. Under best conditions I have never been able to get that. I think 150 miles in 30 min is the best I ever got.

I don't think it's useful for Tesla to use the percentage for the battery display and use that as a reference. 70% is a different amount of energy on a 60, vs 70 vs 85. And after a few years of driving each of these will have a different amount of batter degradation. Using percent is really not helpful.

I wish Tesla would give us actual kWh numbers.

When Tesla Motors states "Tesla Superchargers provide 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes", they are outlining charging under optimum conditions, not for each and every time you charge.

Charging rate and time depends on a lot of factors.
** How much charge your pack has when you arrive. Zero rated miles in your pack would be very best, but the least I have arrived with is 20 miles of rated range.
** Type of Supercharger equipment. The first ones were smaller kW and thus relatively slower, some of the newer ones are 135 kW, but cars are limited to charge @ 120 kW. A Supercharger tower is capable to charge the second arriving car at a much slower rate than the initial car.
** Ambient temperature
** Size of your battery pack. 60s and 70s initially charge at the same rate as 85s, but once they get to 80% capacity (quicker since the packs have less capacity), it tends to slow down.
** Utility grid restrictions
** Charging traffic

YMMV

The way you have to understand this is : after 30 minutes, your battery will be charged to the level that gives you 170 miles of range, whatever the state of charge was when you plugged in.

Chademo communicates the same way. It is somewhat confusing.

I don't think it's useful for Tesla to use the percentage for the battery display and use that as a reference. 70% is a different amount of energy on a 60, vs 70 vs 85. And after a few years of driving each of these will have a different amount of batter degradation. Using percent is really not helpful.

I agree.

When Tesla Motors states "Tesla Superchargers provide 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes", they are outlining charging under optimum conditions, not for each and every time you charge.

Charging rate and time depends on a lot of factors.
** How much charge your pack has when you arrive. Zero rated miles in your pack would be very best, but the least I have arrived with is 20 miles of rated range.
** Type of Supercharger equipment. The first ones were smaller kW and thus relatively slower, some of the newer ones are 135 kW, but cars are limited to charge @ 120 kW. A Supercharger tower is capable to charge the second arriving car at a much slower rate than the initial car.
** Ambient temperature
** Size of your battery pack. 60s and 70s initially charge at the same rate as 85s, but once they get to 80% capacity (quicker since the packs have less capacity), it tends to slow down.
** Utility grid restrictions
** Charging traffic

YMMV

I understand that, thanks. This was more of an observation rather than a complaint.

FTR, there was 1 other Tesla when I left to the store, and when I came back there was another one there. No one was paired with me (8 stalls total)

The way you have to understand this is : after 30 minutes, your battery will be charged to the level that gives you 170 miles of range, whatever the state of charge was when you plugged in.

Chademo communicates the same way. It is somewhat confusing.

lol, that's one to think of it.