Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance after sitting overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel odd asking this, but I don't enough about EVs yet (still waiting on my P85D) so I am curious.

With an ICE it is best to warm it up before you really open it up and there is usually a break in period when you first buy the car. With the motors in the Model S I can't see that being an issue, however I did see a thread about the roadster having a Red/White mode for performance and it seems like this has to do with the battery (guessing the temperature).

Does the Model S limit performance when you first start the car after it has sat for a long time or would it be bad for the battery or drive train if you did 0-60 in 3s straight out of your garage? I'm not really interested in doing that, just curious about the components of my new car compared to every other car I've owned.

That's a good question. Model S will limit power based on temperature, but it is normally in extreme conditions like sitting at night in the winter. It will limit power (region and/or acceleration) when necessary and show a dotted line on the dash. You can see some examples of this on the forum or on Youtube videos (search for power limiting, or cold battery). Since you are in the bay area, you will probably never see this.

The short answer is that the car will take care of the battery for you. So take it out and thrash it all you want.

If you ever find yourself annoyed by the "dashed yellow line" limiting your regen and/or power, just precondition the car from the app half an hour before using it (with "range mode" off.)

But as was already said, you don't need to (but it's great to come in a warmed up car !) The car will ensure the battery doesn't get damaged, whatever you do.

I drive it easy for at least the first few minutes to give the motors time to warm up. They're still mechanical devices after all and their bearing clearances in the motors, reduction gear, wheels will all change as they heat up. Maybe it's not necessary but with multi viscosity oil, the real reason your supposed to take it easy on ICE cars until the oil is up to temp is because that's when the pistons expand and bearing clearances tighten just a little bit due to temperature rise.

I dyno'd my car. It made the most power on the 3rd pull. I believe the thing needs some warming up but since we have zero instrumentation we have no idea how much or how long it takes.

Best immediate "meter" I've found is the power output meter... When you floor it, how high does it get up to? When I'm warmed up, and fully charged it goes higher than it would at 50% or when the car isn't warmed up.

I dyno'd my car. It made the most power on the 3rd pull. I believe the thing needs some warming up but since we have zero instrumentation we have no idea how much or how long it takes.

Best immediate "meter" I've found is the power output meter... When you floor it, how high does it get up to? When I'm warmed up, and fully charged it goes higher than it would at 50% or when the car isn't warmed up.

What MS do you have and what did it pull on the dyno?