Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC connected with a plug to a NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will a HPWC crimped with a plug to a NEMA 14-50 socket be safe? I am worried about heat, stability, breaker tripping, fire under 40 Amps

This way the NEMA 14-50 can be used as a backup in case the HPWC fails; anyone know the warranty on the HPWC?
HPWC to NEMA.jpg

-OL

Will a HPWC crimped with a plug to a NEMA 14-50 socket be safe? I am worried about heat, stability, breaker tripping, fire under 40 Amps

This way the NEMA 14-50 can be used as a backup in case the HPWC fails; anyone know the warranty on the HPWC?
View attachment 85203

-OL

There's a question specifically about that in the FAQ. Bottom line is that it isn't necessarily unsafe when properly provisioned and installed with the correct clamps, strain relief, torque, etc.

However, your installation is illegal. NEC 625 requires the unprotected (NEMA 14-50 side) portion of the power cable to be 12" or less.

FWIW, Tesla's position is that the HPWC is intended for permanent wiring methods only. For now, inspectors will likely consider it legal (as long as cord is < 12") because there are no explicit instructions in the installation guide requiring permanent wiring methods, but Tesla has told me that they are likely to change that in the future. They are concerned that longer lengths of 14-50 cord will tear live conductors out of the side of the HPWC. To me, that's not so much of a risk as physical damage to the live cord from tools.

HPWC warranty is 1 year unless purchased with the car, in which case it's covered under the car's warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Being out of spec with the NEC does not make something illegal.

In most jurisdictions, it is, indeed, illegal.

In fact, in some jurisdictions, it's more than a citable offense - it's a misdemeanor.

In most jurisdictions, there is generally a law or ordinance that states all construction must comply with the NEC. Village 5 miles from me allows for citation to be issued for each day the NEC is violated, fine of up to $750 per day per offense. I've pointed out some cities in the US where it's considered a misdemeanor, punishable with jail time and fines.

One example of local municipal code:
40-10-10 PENALTIES.
(A) Any person who is convicted of a violation of this Code shall be fined not less
than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Seven Hundred Fifty Dollars
($750.00), plus costs, including court costs and attorney fees. Each day that a violation continues
shall be considered a separate offense.
(B) Nothing contained in this Section shall prevent the City from taking any other
lawful action that may be necessary to secure compliance with this Code

Or, Olympia, WA:
A. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to knowingly erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish, equip, use, change the occupancy, occupy or maintain any building or structure in the City of Olympia, or cause or permit the same to be done, in violation of any of the provisions of this Code. Such a violation shall be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed One Thousand Dollars ($1,000) and/or imprisonment not to exceed ninety (90) days or both such fine and imprisonment. Each day shall constitute a separate offense. In the event of continuing violation or failure to comply, the second and subsequent days shall constitute a gross misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000) and/or imprisonment for not more than three hundred and sixty-five (365) days or both such fine and imprisonment.

B. As an additional and concurrent remedy, it shall be a civil infraction for any person, firm, or corporation to erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish, equip, use, occupy or maintain any building or structure in the City of Olympia, or cause or permit the same to be done in violation of any provision of this code. Each day shall constitute a separate civil infraction. Any person, firm, or corporation found to have committed a civil infraction shall be assessed a monetary penalty as follows:

1. First offense: Class 3 ($50), not including statutory assessments.

2. Second offense arising out of the same facts as the first offense: Class 2 ($125), not including statutory assessments.

3. Third offense arising out of the same facts as the first offense: Class 1 ($250), not including statutory assessments.

Last edited:
In most jurisdictions, it is, indeed, illegal.
In fact, in some jurisdictions, it's more than a citable offense - it's a misdemeanor...
I've pointed out some cities in the US where it's considered a misdemeanor, punishable with jail time and fines.
:

Did I say it looks like mine? What I meant to say it looks like a guy I know who knows a guy who it looks like what he has...

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it looked really familiar. I'll ask you then. Is there any reason you didn't rotate the 14-50 socket 180 degrees and just attach a short (12" or so) cable to the HPWC and mount it directly above the 14-50 socket?

The guy I know who knows a guy that has this in his garage already had the 14-50 socket there for his welder, and installed it with a 6' pigtail. Since he backs his S into the garage, the charger door is directly underneath the charger wand.

I just know that I sell houses all the time where something or another is not "up to code", and it's never an issue and certainly doesn't rise to a criminal offense. People DIY stuff all the time, not that they should, but I've never heard of anyone being criminally liable for a bad DIY job. I simply find it difficult to believe that altering your house in a way that is "not up to code" is a criminal offense. Since when do we live in a police state?

I am not in a position to dispute the citations you've provided, I am in shock.

Reactions: gabeincal
I don't think it's so much about it being a criminal offense more than it is about liability and how your homeowners insurance may react to such things, etc, etc...

While I don't doubt that some places may take this very seriously as a criminal issue, I would be more concerned about my liability.

Jeff

That misdemeanor provision is pretty rare; but citations aren't rare at all. They're just like speeding tickets - citable infractions. Of course, enforcement is another matter.

Even my county, which doesn't require permits or inspections for electrical work, has an ordinance mandating adherence to the NEC and spells out penalties for non-compliance in the form of citations. As to how they find out? Well, that's another matter. In nearly every jurisdiction in the US, whether at state, county, or municipal level, violating the NEC is unlawful.

So question for all you experts (because I sure as heck ain't). Can a TESLA HPWC rated at 48 amps be plugged into a 50 amp Nema receptacle. It seems to me it would kick the breakers which I thought were rated at max 50 and 80 percent of 50 constant. I have a 50 amp Nema in my garage that I have my 40 amp juice box plugged into. (We have a leaf and smart ed) Although a Tesla is probably a few years away for us will I be able to plug in a Tesla HPWC and use it without burning my Town house down? :)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Gracias de antemano. :)