Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge EV's with pedestrianss kinetic energy (with Tesla click-bait title)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're definitely just coopting the Tesla brand.

They talk about stealing your kinetic energy to generate electricity, problem is, that has to come from somewhere, if they gain energy, you must lose energy, I imagine this would be like walking on sand, you wouldn't want to do it for very long.

They're definitely just coopting the Tesla brand.

They talk about stealing your kinetic energy to generate electricity, problem is, that has to come from somewhere, if they gain energy, you must lose energy, I imagine this would be like walking on sand, you wouldn't want to do it for very long.

Here's a more efficient way to move the car: put it in tow mode, get behind car, push.

Yeah, you won't want to do that very long.

If 10,000 people walk by the car, I suppose you might be able to extract enough energy. But if you're sucking energy from their steps they're gonna start stepping over the gizmo rather than on it.

But if you're sucking energy from their steps they're gonna start stepping over the gizmo rather than on it.

Depends upon what stepping on the gizmo feels like. When you walk on a hard surface, heat is increased in your muscles, shoes, and the surface (by a minuscule amount). If the gizmo is able to generate electricity rather than heat as people step on it, and if the feel is like walking on a softer surface rather than concrete, people might actually prefer it.

If the gizmo is able to generate electricity rather than heat as people step on it, and if the feel is like walking on a softer surface rather than concrete, people might actually prefer it.
For a step or two, sure, but not over long distances, and this tech only works if it's covering more than a few feet of sidewalk. hard surfaces use much less energy to walk on, so we prefer them. If it's "hard enough" that people will want to walk on it, there is no way you would ever generate a noticeable amount of electricity from it.

Hooking up bicycle generators (which generate at about 100W each) at gyms probably is far more effective than this. This thing says it makes 7 joules per step at a power rate of 7W, so it will take 14 of these to match a typical bicycle generator. And bicycle generators are largely gimmicks in the first place.

A stationary bicycle coupling is much more efficient than the sidewalk tiles. With reasonably efficient coupling, generator efficiency, and a reasonably fit cyclist, you can get 100 to 200 Watts of electrical power for hours. With that output, it would take 8-15 cyclist generators to to equal a single 5-15, 120V/15A outlet, or 50-100 cyclist generators to equal a 14-50, 240V/50A outlet. Another way to put it, is that each cyclist generator can charge a Tesla at 1/3 to 2/3 mph; just add them up!

I think we can do much better with solar...