Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Model S is in transit from the factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status changed today. FINALLY, took almost 3 weeks for them to make my car. Wonder what took so long, but I guess I'm glad it got the attention that it did.
So, how long before I get to drive it? How long does it take to transport my beloved from Freakmont to Freakazoid DC?

My MS has taken 20 days for transit. It has been frustrating to see other MS's in my area get delivered when they were ordered, confirmed, built, etc. after my MS. To make matters worse, my DS couldn't find the MS for 2 weeks (it would not "ping"). It showed up today at the Columbus, Ohio SC and will hopefully be ready for me to pick up on my birthday tomorrow. The MS was scheduled to arrive on 6/19 and that day went by with the DS telling me he didn't know where the MS was at. Not very comforting. Then on 6/23 the DS said he still couldn't locate the car via the "ping" method but he was pretty sure it was in Chicago.

The wall charger didn't ship within the timeframe listed on the Tesla store website and it wasn't until I e-mailed Tesla that I got a reply that it was shipping out.

I am a Tesla fan and have had the stock for a long time. I love EVs and have designed many charging station installations and own my own engineering firm specializing in energy efficiency and renewable energy.

I hope Tesla is able to improve their delivery notifications as I'm sure there are other anxious others out there waiting on their MS's and accessories.

Best wishes to grantgro, Max and everyone else waiting on their MS's for a fast delivery!

My 85D went "In transit" last Thursday evening, but did not leave CA until Monday morning. Today, It's in OK. It's supposed to arrive in Rockville, MD on Friday morning and I'm scheduled for pickup on Saturday. Your in transit may be longer if it goes onto a train. As I understand it, I got loaded onto a truck to make Q2 numbers as I "made the cutoff".

My 85D went "In transit" last Thursday evening, but did not leave CA until Monday morning. Today, It's in OK. It's supposed to arrive in Rockville, MD on Friday morning and I'm scheduled for pickup on Saturday. Your in transit may be longer if it goes onto a train. As I understand it, I got loaded onto a truck to make Q2 numbers as I "made the cutoff".

Are you able to track the location of the car yourself, or do you have to keep asking your DS for it?
My DS told me today that they are looking at end of NEXT week, which means I'll be car-less for a week.
That's 1 week later than they had originally told me.

Are you able to track the location of the car yourself, or do you have to keep asking your DS for it?
My DS told me today that they are looking at end of NEXT week, which means I'll be car-less for a week.
That's 1 week later than they had originally told me.

My DS never gave me any info unless I asked for it, even then I got very little. Good news is mine is at the dealership and I'm picking it up on Friday :)

It looks like the time "in transit" is extremely variable. Mine was listed as in transit on 6/4/15 and I took delivery on 6/23. The production time appeared to be only 7 days.

Okay Im picking my car on Wednesday July 1.
I was a bit worried about DS experiences etc but my DS has been very communicative.
Always replies quickly over email (within 24 hours or even sooner even at 9pm), and gives me no BS answers.
Also, when I ordered the car, it said late June delivery. DS told me first week of July.
Im getting it July 1. Now if they give me a decent trade in offer, I'd rate my tesla buying experience as pretty much flawless.

It looks like the time "in transit" is extremely variable. Mine was listed as in transit on 6/4/15 and I took delivery on 6/23. The production time appeared to be only 7 days.

I averaged out the 251 cars in the Q2 tab of the Google Spreadsheet:

Avg. Days from Order to Confirm: 7
Avg. Days from Conf to Prod Start 29.6
Avg. Days in Production: 6.25
Avg. Days from Prod to Delivery: 17
Avg. Days from Conf to Delivery: 54

My 85D moved to "In Transit" to North Carolina on 6/7 and (according the the MVPA) should be delivered on 6/28 (Sunday!) and, per my DS, on 6/29 (Monday), "plus or minus" - that's 22 calendar days in transit if things work out Monday.

Excepting non-North American deliveries, its been painful seeing most other East coast US deliveries get theirs more quickly, including to MD/VA areas which seem really rapid. It looks like there is fairly high variability for mid-West and East transit times.

In some ways - my anxiety has decreased as I've been waiting, from which I hope will lead even more pleasure when I finally get my hands on it.

My 85D moved to "In Transit" to North Carolina on 6/7 and (according the the MVPA) should be delivered on 6/28 (Sunday!) and, per my DS, on 6/29 (Monday), "plus or minus" - that's 22 calendar days in transit if things work out Monday.

Excepting non-North American deliveries, its been painful seeing most other East coast US deliveries get theirs more quickly, including to MD/VA areas which seem really rapid. It looks like there is fairly high variability for mid-West and East transit times.

In some ways - my anxiety has decreased as I've been waiting, from which I hope will lead even more pleasure when I finally get my hands on it.

Is your car being delivered to the Charlotte Service Center or the Raleigh Center (and then potentially hopping a truck ride to your house)? Charlotte area deliveries have had some elongated times b/c Charlotte isn't able to officially process through the state paperwork yet, so the cars have to go through Raleigh. But this may have changed recently so they can finally be processed locally.

Delivery is to the Raleigh Service Center (not my house). I haven't gotten the call/email from the DS on the final delivery date/time - when I pinged him last week he said that it was saying 7/29 was when it was to be "delivered". No mention of prep time. The MVPA says 7/28.

This is all of course still within the "late June" timeframe that I got when I confirmed the order. And even then the Salesperson told me that it might be early July despite what the system was saying.