Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S in Tasmania

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just read a story on ABC news concerning the motoring writer who took his Model S down to Tasmania and was unable to charge it, I'm sure there are better ways to highlight any lack of charging facilities on the Apple isle without giving the EV naysayers something to squawk about.
Sorry if I offend anyone on here buts that's my opinion.

I have just read a story on ABC news concerning the motoring writer who took his Model S down to Tasmania and was unable to charge it, I'm sure there are better ways to highlight any lack of charging facilities on the Apple isle without giving the EV naysayers something to squawk about.
Sorry if I offend anyone on here buts that's my opinion.

Yes given he could plug in to any 10A GPO he could find, and presumably would know any other charging options would require an appropriate adaptor (even if they existed) this sounds like a poorly thought out attempt to highlight infrastructure shortcomings. And as you say, the net result seems more likely to give ammunition to EV opponents since it emphasises all the problems and ignores the advantages. Not sure what he was thinking.

Last edited:
Agreed - trying to make a good point but with potential for bad press around EVs.

From what I can piece together:

He drove from Devonport to Hobart (280km) without needing to charge - with a few stops for photos, including one with a battery top up - no problem.

He charged overnight at a location which had a 15A plug, and while he was able to put a fair bit on the battery, it wasn't 100% of the return trip and therefore he wasn't confident at being able to make the distance. So while leaving Hobart on the back of a truck wasn't necessary, it's probably better than having to call said truck in the middle of nowhere.

Either it was intentional (to highlight the lack of facilities) or just poorly planned. Perhaps do some short day trips around Hobart on the second day and then head back north on the third after a full charge - would be better.

He also tried to charge at MONA (I assume using David Walsh's personal charger by prior arrangement) but had a technical issue (tweets didn't elaborate).

I found 1 charger in Hobart on Plug Share.
It's a J1772 at DJ Nissan at 235 Argyle Street, North Hobart
So you will need a converter, the permission of the dealer and it's only open business hours. :mad:

Yep - went looking there a few months ago.

Not only is it only open business hours, it's not like it is in a secure area or behind a gate or anything - they intentionally block it with a Patrol 4WD. What a joke!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - another article here, where you can comment, and also includes a poll: http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3169802/tasmanian-electric-car-trial-runs-out-of-power-poll/

Attachments

• giBcW0R.jpg
    giBcW0R.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 544
I have to do a sales run later this year in tasy. Think I might do it with Tes and prove a point. Launceston to Hobart is about 200km. Return is 200Km Total 400 Kms - Less than 1 charge approx 72KwHr total.
Use my handy dandy 16Amp dribble charger overnight in Launceston then do the return run to Burnie(300kms round trip 56Kwhr approx.)

What are these idiots at ABC on about - maybe its a cunning way to get attention on a subject by making ridiculous statements....Hmmmmm

I have to do a sales run later this year in tasy. Think I might do it with Tes and prove a point. Launceston to Hobart is about 200km. Return is 200Km Total 400 Kms - Less than 1 charge approx 72KwHr total.
Use my handy dandy 16Amp dribble charger overnight in Launceston then do the return run to Burnie(300kms round trip 56Kwhr approx.)

What are these idiots at ABC on about - maybe its a cunning way to get attention on a subject by making ridiculous statements....Hmmmmm

Please post on here when you do (in this thread or in the Tesla Tasmania group - under my profile pic)

Perhaps the best response is to organise a Tesla Destination charger in one of the Hotels in Hobart?

That would be a great start - also some of the more remote locations.

Related - the Tasmanian branch of the AEVA is going to be officially formed at a meeting in Hobart next month. One of the members has written up an "Electric Highway" proposal including a focus on the national highway. There are a couple of AEVA corporate members who have the ability to exert a bit of influence in this area so fingers crossed!

+1 to that! Anyone know of a nice hotel?

I'll road trip from Sydney if that was in place.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread but RACT (equivalent of RACV/NRMA/etc) owns four hotels in Tassie; one in Hobart, and three in remote (but popular tourist) locations: Freycinet, Cradle Mountain and Strahan (West Coast). They would have interest from both their motoring and tourism divisions :)

RACT are a corporate member of the AEVA and the Tasmania branch formation meeting is this Wednesday - I understand something like this will be on the agenda :) Tasmania | AEVA

Tasmania just like New Zealand is suited to EV's. They both have clean green power, both islands with limited drive distances. However they both lack good charging networks.
Both need to take advantage of EV's and push the sales to set the trend.

Very true! A point mentioned in this opinion piece in today's Hobart Mercury:

Talking Point: Our unique energy opportunities are waiting to be grasped | The Mercury

I encourage people to jump over there and post a comment - there are always backward thinking naysayers about ...

Very true! A point mentioned in this opinion piece in today's Hobart Mercury:

Talking Point: Our unique energy opportunities are waiting to be grasped | The Mercury

I encourage people to jump over there and post a comment - there are always backward thinking naysayers about ...

Even if you bought an EV with the qualities of a Model S with the enviroment as a factor I think it shuts the naysayers down when you don't mention the enviroment, most just don't want to listen/don't care/are selfish towards the planet, if you say you purchased the vehicle because it has a great warranty, a longer life span, far less parts that need repair/replacement/servicing, safer, far cheaper to fuel up and of course faster it stumps them, suddenly they look at EVs in a whole new light, it's about them and their wallet, eventually they may buy one because of the reasons mentioned above and improve the air quality without even realizing it.