Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car has a Bell SIM. Didn't we get AT&T?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About nine months ago I heard they were in the process of switching service providers for the Canadian cars. I think the AT&T roaming deal was the easiest route when they had fewer cars in Canada, but they now have enough on the road to negotiate a better deal with a local provider.

Wouldn't that involve a swap of SIM cards for delivered cars? Also then the reverse of the current connectivity would happen with roaming in the US.

Yes, I would think so. Further, I thought I heard that there isn't actually a removeable SIM, at least in the early cars.

- - - Updated - - -

About nine months ago I heard they were in the process of switching service providers for the Canadian cars. I think the AT&T roaming deal was the easiest route when they had fewer cars in Canada, but they now have enough on the road to negotiate a better deal with a local provider.

Never thought about this before, but do the Roadsters have connectivity like the Model S???

What do you get when you try going to a site that geolocates your IP ( like whereisip.net)? I know that when I have done this in the past I get a US location - even the local news for news.google.ca would give me US news.

Or is that screwed up by web browser traffic going over Tesla's VPN and hitting the Internet from Tesla's servers rather than locally from the wireless service provider?

Wouldn't that involve a swap of SIM cards for delivered cars? Also then the reverse of the current connectivity would happen with roaming in the US.

Yes, but they could leave the delivered cars on the old contract for now and swap out the SIM cards over time.

Never thought about this before, but do the Roadsters have connectivity like the Model S???

Yes, Roadsters have GSM service to send log files back to the mothership, but no online navigation, Slacker radio or internet browser like the Model S. Last I heard they let the GSM contract expire on the Canadian Roadsters.

Yes, Roadsters have GSM service to send log files back to the mothership, but no online navigation, Slacker radio or internet browser like the Model S. Last I heard they let the GSM contract expire on the Canadian Roadsters.[/QUOTE]

Is is their a way to disable this? This is pretty intrusive. Eg: What if i went to see my girlfriend and my wife got a subpoena to see tesla records??

:confused:

What do you get when you try going to a site that geolocates your IP ( like whereisip.net)? I know that when I have done this in the past I get a US location - even the local news for news.google.ca would give me US news.

Or is that screwed up by web browser traffic going over Tesla's VPN and hitting the Internet from Tesla's servers rather than locally from the wireless service provider?

Apparently I am in Dallas, Texas.

Is is their a way to disable this? This is pretty intrusive. Eg: What if i went to see my girlfriend and my wife got a subpoena to see tesla records??

:confused:

Ha - I think you'd have a bigger problem with the Tesla app on your wife's phone!

Yes, you can opt out of data collection by contacting Tesla:

Privacy & Legal | Tesla Motors Canada

You may opt out at any time and free of charge from:

• Our collection of Tesla vehicle data. If you no longer wish us to collect Telematics Log Data or any other data from your Tesla vehicle, please contact us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section below. Please note that, if you opt out from the collection of Telematics Log Data or any other data from your Tesla vehicle, we will not be able to notify you of issues applicable to your vehicle in real time, and this may result in your vehicle suffering from reduced functionality, serious damage, or inoperability, and it may also disable many features of your vehicle including periodic software and firmware updates, remote services, and interactivity with mobile applications and in-car features such as location search, Internet radio, voice commands, and web browser functionality.
  • Our collection of real-time traffic feature data. We only collect this data if the real-time traffic feature is available to you and you elect to use it. If you no longer wish us to collect or share data from your vehicle for this feature, you can stop this collection at any time by simply turning the feature and the data collection off via the "TRAFFIC-BASED ROUTING" setting in Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation.

I wonder if the new Bell sims will roam in the US? Or, if it will be like when the US cars didn't roam in Canada?

Is is their a way to disable this? This is pretty intrusive. Eg: What if i went to see my girlfriend and my wife got a subpoena to see tesla records??:confused:

No need for those records since we have no fault divorce. Plus, extra-marital affairs have no bearing on division of assets. Plus, plus, all she has to do is read your posts here over your shoulder... ;)

No need for those records since we have no fault divorce. Plus, extra-marital affairs have no bearing on division of assets. Plus, plus, all she has to do is read your posts here over your shoulder... ;)[/QUOTE]

Doh :biggrin: There goes half my Tesla
Djp thanks for reminding me bout the app. I'll never be able to work late every again as she'll be honking the horn till I leave :biggrin:

I think having an option to be out is fair. I really don't care about Tesla tracking as I already have Google tracking everything thing I do.
Can anyone new 70d or 85d delivery confirm lte?

No need for those records since we have no fault divorce. Plus, extra-marital affairs have no bearing on division of assets. Plus, plus, all she has to do is read your posts here over your shoulder... ;)

Doh :biggrin: There goes half my Tesla
Djp thanks for reminding me bout the app. I'll never be able to work late every again as she'll be honking the horn till I leave :biggrin:

I think having an option to be out is fair. I really don't care about Tesla tracking as I already have Google tracking everything thing I do.
Can anyone new 70d or 85d delivery confirm lte?[/QUOTE]

My car was build late May and says 3G.

Jasper technologies is kind of like a MVNO (similar to old Virgin before they got bought out by Bell) for Internet of Things. They could simultaneously have relationship with all of the Big 3. It pretty much absolve Tesla from building relationship with every individual carriers in the world which would not be tesla's expertise.

So I just took delivery of my MS today. Awesome car. My DS shared with me that any cars being built after June first would have LTE. Now I didnt ask him if it was enabled or they installed the hardware. (should of asked i guess sorry)
IMG_20150701_005049.jpg
IMG_20150701_010641.jpg