Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ with 20k miles or Inventory 70D with 2k miles...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which would you choose?

Option 1: Decked out 2013 P85+ with 20k miles from a private owner (not CPO).
Option 2: "New" Inventory 70D with 2k miles. This option is about $4k cheaper than Option 1.

Both cars are in excellent condition.

Go.

Go for option 1-the P85+ is a great car to drive. They were top of the line until the P85D came out. The P85+ will have better range and be more fun. I was quite impressed with the P85+ loaner I had a week ago.

I'd go with Option 2. The future-tolerant hardware in a later model will mean ability to take advantage of more features later (autopilot, for one), and longer warranty (miles will hit first before time).
I have a P85, and the number of times I use the "P" part is pretty small.

I calculated the 70D price after the $7500 rebate. So bottom line it would be $4k cheaper. I would also have the option to lease the 70D, which would benefit my business write offs. I'm not too worried about the 0-60 as the 70D was plenty fast for me. I just can't decide if the bigger battery along with the options will save me money in the long run. It's already listed at $30k less than sticker, so I'd image it will depreciate slower than a new 70D. Always have to think resale.

I look at it this way - would I trade in my 2013 P85 (without autopilot and 26K miles) for a brand new 70D (0 or 2k miles)? No way, not even for the extra $4000 in cash. I also would not do this for an 80D.

So my answer would be option 1.

Humm, I also would not trade my P85 for a 70D. Warranty is 8 years on battery and drive so it still has at least 6 years left. You might not even keep it that long. For the longer range and performance I would go for #1 or as other people mentioned #3. Test drive the P85+ and see if you think it's worth it. You might find some of those options to be pretty nice.

I have the adaptive cruise control and it's great. I wonder if the auto pilot will be as useful. You can tell the system makes mistakes on the speed limit signs etc.