Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-Sale Value - Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very Impressive ... :love:
Hopefully the USA is a guide for us.

http://img03.en25.com/Web/NADAUCG/{...48cd4aeb40da}_April_2015_NADA_Perspective.pdf

Resale.png

Last edited:
This is a pretty interesting topic. I've been reading threads here for a while and it has been interesting to juxtapose the resale values we see on the CPO thread with the arguably high lease rates in the leasing thread and the tweets here. And also to factor in the one time fed/state rebate first time buyers get. My gut reaction after following for a while - without any kind of rigor behind it, a pure guess - is that the resale value might just be industry average when one factors everything is.

But really have no evidence for that and would love to someone rigorously figure out how it compares to other luxury ICE and EV cars, factoring in everything.

I agree that you can't use MSRP for this comparison; you should use average selling price. That will compress the range. Also, while I have no doubt that the Tesla has retained it's value better when compared to other EVs, the real test is how it compares to other cars in it's class (large luxury sedan, 5 seater). Yes, I'd ignore the 3rd row for this.

It depends on what methods KBB used for these resale values compared to the Tesla calculation, but Model S appears to be right in line with the best resale values for luxury sedans:

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-luxury-car/

The trade-in value of 57% also exceeds Tesla's Resale Value Guarantee (50% of base price and 43% of options) they offered before leases were available. That would indicate few if any people will need to exercise the resale value guarantee to get a minimum resale out of their car.

One would think with an 8 year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty the Model S should be top of its class for resale value. What factors drag it down?
Maybe you hadn't noticed, but a 3 year old MS has a LOT fewer features than a new MS, but the price of a new MS isn't much more than it was 3 years ago. So regardless of what people are willing to pay for used vs new, and for condition of the upholstry, etc, you also need to factor in mileage, battery degradation, several years of that warranty already being gone, and then on top of that factor in the value of the better fit and finish of newer cars, the autopilot suite of sensors, the all wheel drive, and all the other things you can have now that you couldn't get 3 years ago. Then take off rebates and it's shocking the prices have held up so well, and it's basically only because of the delay to buy a new one I think.