Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MA state residents... selling car out of state + temp tag issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really hoping someone can provide some insight on this. I am trying to sell my car to someone who lives out of state, who plans on flying to MA to buy the car and then to drive it back to their home state (Florida).

What we are finding is that MA will not issues a temporary license to this person. There is the "7 day transfer law" in MA, but that doesn't seem to apply out of state?

So then are there any options? I could leave my MA plate on the car and let him get it back to Florida, after which he could send them back... but what would be the downsides of that and risks for me?

The risk for you is the insurance situation, if the car gets into an accident it would go against your insurance and it will make things very complicated for you. It isn't recommended.
What I did when I bought a vehicle from Florida few years ago is I went down there, singed the paperwork and sent it overnight to MA and had someone register the car for me and mail me the plates the same day. It takes 3 days for the whole thing, but it was the safest way to do it.

In your case if the buyer have wired the funds, you could send him the title in FL and he can then register it and fly to Boston to pick it up with his new license plates from FL.

I went down there, singed the paperwork and sent it overnight to MA and had someone register the car for me and mail me the plates the same day. It takes 3 days for the whole thing, but it was the safest way to do it.

Yes, this is tough for MA buyers and sellers. I've bought out of state 4 times, and the issue always comes up as uniquely Massachusetts. Your seller may have to keep the transaction and transport separate, or do the above, or trailer the car. Those are the safe options.

You might check with your insurer, and cancel without returning the plate. That way, they are in a registered car when out of state, and possibly stopped. In state, I wouldn't be surprised if your insurer would be forced to cover any accident, regardless of your attempt to cancel without surrendering plates at RMV, or claiming they were lost. I don't know the requirements of other states, but it may also be possible to insure property without showing physical title, or by showing a purchase / sale.

GLWS!

- - - Updated - - -

I went down there, singed the paperwork and sent it overnight to MA and had someone register the car for me and mail me the plates the same day. It takes 3 days for the whole thing, but it was the safest way to do it.

Yes, this is tough for MA buyers and sellers. I've bought out of state 4 times, and the issue always comes up as uniquely Massachusetts. Your seller may have to keep the transaction and transport separate, or do the above, or trailer the car. Those are the safe options.

You might check with your insurer, and cancel without returning the plate. That way, they are in a registered car when out of state, and possibly stopped. In state, I wouldn't be surprised if your insurer would be forced to cover any accident, regardless of your attempt to cancel without surrendering plates at RMV, or claiming they were lost. I don't know the requirements of other states, but it may also be possible to insure property without showing physical title, or by showing a purchase / sale.

GLWS!

- - - Updated - - -

GLWS!

I'm a member of another car board that had a discussion on this topic a few years ago (its a small board, but a few of the members are in MA, and I was considering buying a car from one of them).

Conclusion was that the MA license plate and insurance law/process is really annoying...

The OP's buyer might want to check with FL to see if its possible to get a temp FL tag to use. AZ has a temporary registration that would have worked...