Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Kennebunk, Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Want to spend some time in Kennebunk, Maine in August. With the new SuperCharger in West Lebanon, I should be fine getting from Montreal to Kennebunk (though it may be a tad tight). However, once I get there, I was wondering where to charge. The Hidden Pond where we'd like to stay doesn't have charging. There are a few resorts that do, but they are not to our liking. Anyone knows what the public charging infrastructure is like. Plugshare isn't showing me a lot. Thanks.

Last edited:
Kennebunk has two public chargers right downtown, one at the chamber of commerce and the other at the municipal utility. They're slow but reliable.

Another option is to come up to Portland for a day-trip; perfect rainy-day outing. The Fore St Garage has a 20 kW J1772 free to use with paid parking.

Kennebunk has two public chargers right downtown, one at the chamber of commerce and the other at the municipal utility. They're slow but reliable.

Another option is to come up to Portland for a day-trip; perfect rainy-day outing. The Fore St Garage has a 20 kW J1772 free to use with paid parking.

Thanks for this. The ones right in town are level2s?

Is the one at the public utility the solar powered one? Reliable?

Oh I very well know they do but we don't want to stay there but instead Hidden Pond.

What I'll plead ignorance on is whether or not they'd accept non guest charging. Though I'd suspect not?
Most places will let restaurant patrons use the HPWC, so perhaps go there for lunch or dinner?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this. The ones right in town are level2s?

Is the one at the public utility the solar powered one? Reliable?
They are NOT solar powered, but they are level 2. Kinda -- only 20A, so you're getting only about 4 kW. The Fore St Garage has solar panels (though it still relies on some grid power).

Kennebunk Light and Power District station:

Someday I wished they would upgrade to the Clipper Creek (HCS-60) 48amp EV Charging unit. When visiting family in Kennebunk, I need to leave my car at the station all day to charge.
Heck, I'll help pay for the upgrade, the run to the electrical box is short.

There's low EV awareness in Maine. There aren't many EVs registered in Maine, so business owners likely don't think about adding charging. I'd encourage anyone who vacations in Maine and drives an EV to call or write their preferred hotels, ski areas, etc. to request destination charging.

There's low EV awareness in Maine. There aren't many EVs registered in Maine, so business owners likely don't think about adding charging. I'd encourage anyone who vacations in Maine and drives an EV to call or write their preferred hotels, ski areas, etc. to request destination charging.

I agree. I'll mention it to Hidden Pond where I'm staying. Being an upscale place, they are the perfect candidate for Tesla destination charging.

They are NOT solar powered, but they are level 2. Kinda -- only 20A, so you're getting only about 4 kW. The Fore St Garage has solar panels (though it still relies on some grid power).

Robert,
There is a solar canopy over the utilities charger. I believe they even added a sign that talks about charging from the sun.

To the OP I drive by these chargers almost daily. If I had a charger at my house I wouldn't you charger there. Hopefully when the Model 3 is released.

The outlets are probably 120v. There may be limited power to each cottage, and the outside outlets could be on a 15amp circuit with other outlets and/or lights, so charging the car at 12amps would trip the breaker.

You could dial down the current, but the amount of charge you will get is pretty minimal.

A better approach for them might be a single higher-power charging location shared for all guests - presumably close to more robust electrical infrastructure.

The outlets are probably 120v. There may be limited power to each cottage, and the outside outlets could be on a 15amp circuit with other outlets and/or lights, so charging the car at 12amps would trip the breaker.

You could dial down the current, but the amount of charge you will get is pretty minimal.

A better approach for them might be a single higher-power charging location shared for all guests - presumably close to more robust electrical infrastructure.

Could be though these cottages have full fledge gourmet kitchens, AC, etc. I doubt it's limited in power.

Either way, I clarified and the front desk person didn't seem to realize I could charge on a regular outlet, and is now saying I could do it provided the cable is long enough. I could just bring an extension I guess.

Anyone got experience with their Model S at Hidden Pond?

Yup. I have pitched both (in person) the Samoset in Rockport and the Harborside Hotel & Spa in Bar Harbor along with a follow-up e-mail with zero results. I may cancel my annual stay at Harborside this year as I am getting pissed off.:cursing:

Yup. I have pitched both (in person) the Samoset in Rockport and the Harborside Hotel & Spa in Bar Harbor along with a follow-up e-mail with zero results. I may cancel my annual stay at Harborside this year as I am getting pissed off.:cursing:

I'm taking the family to the Samoset in mid-July; I'll pitch again. I hoping the more people complain they will reconsider. I'll bring the Destination Charging material as well.