Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current (Amps) bouncing while charging at 100% capacity: is this battery balancing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
I supercharged at Vacaville, CA yesterday evening and set the limit to 100% since I was going to have dinner while charging -- and before you ask, I did go out there about 40 min later (at 90%) to check that there were other spots available, just to make sure I wasn't preventing others from charging. There were 4 (half the SpC stalls), so I proceeded to 100%.

Upon getting back in the car, it was still around 99% and 249 rated miles, so I waited a few minutes to observe what would happen. After 2 more miles were added to the rated range, it looked like battery capacity hit 100%, and the time remaining changed from 5 minutes to "Calculating time remaining..." indefinitely.

The interesting part is that, while the voltage stayed around 400V, the current then started bouncing around quickly between 11 and 22 Amps -- something I had never observed before. I took a short video to demonstrate how fast this was occurring (see below).

Is this battery balancing at work? If so, why does the current change so dynamically?

Last edited by a moderator:
I supercharged at Vacaville, CA yesterday evening and set the limit to 100% since I was going to have dinner while charging -- and before you ask, I did go out there about 40 min later (at 90%) to check that there were other spots available, just to make sure I wasn't preventing others from charging. There were 4 (half the SpC stalls), so I proceeded to 100%.

Upon getting back in the car, it was still around 99% and 249 rated miles, so I waited a few minutes to observe what would happen. After 2 more miles were added to the rated range, it looked like battery capacity hit 100%, and the time remaining changed from 5 minutes to "Calculating time remaining..." indefinitely.

The interesting part is that, while the voltage stayed around 400V, the current then started bouncing around quickly between 11 and 22 Amps -- something I had never observed before. I took a short video to demonstrate how fast this was occurring (see below).

Is this battery balancing at work? If so, why does the current change so dynamically?

Yes, it was balancing. As the bleed off resistors bled away power as needed from the cells that were "over full", it would pump a bit more in to bring all the cells back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more inclined to think that this might be the DC-DC converter switching on and off or something like that. I know when AC charging, the amps include the power used to power HVAC/Heating and other systems in the car as well, in addition to the current being used to charge the battery. I suspect the same is true when DC charging and there's just something else using power. Next time it happens, try exiting the car and letting it shut down, then observe the current on the dash through the window.