Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for community input on Model S Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting ready to order a Model S and want to get some opinions on the various options. I’ve read a lot on the Tesla forums but want to run my thoughts past the community.

I'm considering the 85(D) over the P85D because I know I’ll rarely if ever use the acceleration available on the P.

Dual Motor vs Single:
I’m leaning towards the dual motor but have 2 questions and a comment.

1. Do I really need all wheel drive if 95% of all my driving will be in southern California? Does it have other benefits that I’d notice/want?
  2. Does the second motor add to the overall noise?
  3. It seems to complicate the front end mechanics based on the animated graphic on the website showing the underside of the car change as you select a dual vs a single motor.
Wheels: 19”.
I prefer a more comfortable quiet ride and a more reasonable tire life. I’m looking for a good balance between sport and luxury - precision handling while being comfortable and quiet.

All Glass Panoramic Roof: Not for me.
It seems to me it would be a source for added heat from the sun. I know it’s tinted but it’s very sunny in Southern California and I’d wonder how much UV is actually getting through. I don’t care about the sun roof”. I rarely use one and wouldn’t miss it. I’m not concerned about it affecting resale. Another benefit of the standard roof could be improved interior acoustics from having a padded ceiling liner instead of a large area of solid glass. The padded liner should dampen internal noise and maybe reduce some of the outside noise. Does that seem like a reasonable assumption? If the ceiling liner does improve cabin acoustics, it could also help improve the how the audio system sounds (fewer reflections off the glass ceiling).

Ultra High Fidelity Sound: Probably.
I'm usually willing to pay for better sound options because I want the best I can get fully integrated with the car but there’s a lot of debate about its value and what you actually get for the extra money. I’m going to have to listen for myself. I know the Sirius-XM receiver won’t function without the glass top but that doesn’t bother me. I can use the Sirius-XM app on a phone. Can someone provide a link to where I can read about what’s added to the premium audio system? The threads I’ve read seem to have conflicting information. Maybe the option changed over time but it seems from what I've been reading, no one really knows for sure what’s included compared to the standard system.

Autopilot Convenience Features: Yes. Seems cool and will probably get some added features through updates.

Premium Interior and Lighting: Not sure.
Based on forum comments, this option seems to offer the least value though it’s dropped in price over time (I think mostly because some of the added benefits where added to the standard interior - I was told that alcantara accents on the dash are now standard).

Smart Air Suspension: Yes. Seems to be consistently recommended on the forums.

Next Generation Seats: Yes. Also seems to be consistently recommended on the forums.

That’s all I can think of at this point. Let me know if I’m missing any ‘must haves’.

I personally don't feel you need AWD in SC. I live on the coast and have had no need. Also I don't see the need for AAS. Just me

BUT, I do find the looks and performance of the pano roof IS valuable. I think if you ever re sell it will be very helpful and it gives the car a totally different look. I get more compliments on the pano roof then the big screen LOL.

JMO

Enjoy!

I like the "feel" of AWD vs RWD.
In addition, I have heard it suggested that the tires will last longer and wear more evenly with AWD.
Performance is better, and you get slightly more range.

We have an 85 and a new 70D. By far, I enjoy the 70D more even though it doesn't have the pano roof, air suspension, upgraded audio or even leather that the 85 has.

AFAIK, the pano roof is the only way to get roof rails. No idea if you need them or not. (Keep in mind it is not possible to tow anything with the S)

For example, if you want to take a bike with you, the only way is to put it in the trunk or the roof.

Everyone is different, here are my thoughts,

- Get the D. Improved handling, range, acceleration, its worth the extra 5K. If you are skipping the D, look at inventory S's or CPOs. I have test driven both S and D, and when taking a fast turn or exit even on dry pavement on a sunny day, you can clearly tell D vs S. S's tires will spin, D you cannot make them spin, thats the difference. P85D tires may spin around turns. I would think the D's tires will be less forgiving to tire rotations too, but so far Tesla's recommendation is the same for D or S - rotate every 5K miles.
- I got 70D, P85D is a bit over the top. After you are done having fun a few times, 99% of your driving will be normal, and 85D is plenty fast (almost equal to P85).
- 19" - nicer ride, better range, cheaper, tires last much longer, are much more durable, cost much lesser. 21" look nicer. 21" are the high heels for Model S.
- Pano roof - everyone says heat is not an issue. Solid roof is going to be quiter. I got pano because I like the open feel and light. Also the car looks hella sexy with it, and well it's less surface area to wax :).
- Sound system - base audio sucks, ultra audio sucks lesser, but still sucks.
- Autopilot - I got it, and its almost a new generation of a car. Future proof for 2 years I think.
- I got prem. package. At 3K its worth it, at 5K, I'd grumble but I'd still get it. For a 100K car that lacks premium interior, this little bit helps.
- Air suspension: I got coils. Air is less reliable, costs a lot more to fix, and I couldn't discern ride difference. With 21" air suspension may be worth it. The extra clearance is only plus minus 0.8", and around here (east coast), I wouldn't dare drive the car at high speeds with low clearance (too many potholes esp. in winter).
- Next gen seats - I got them, I think they are way nicer looking and comfier.

Other thoughts,
- Single charger vs. dual charger, and home plug installation, 50Amp vs 100Amp, everyone's needs are different but you should do your research on that also.
- After market paint protection is another cost item you should consider.
- And service plans is another cost item you should consider.

Finally, I know your choice is between 85d and p85d, but 70d is a very compelling car. If the extra 1 second and 30 mile range difference is not a huge big deal, 70D is much better value than 85D. I bounced back and forth between 85D and 70D, and I'm glad I settled on 70D. I should get my car this week and I am so damned looking forward to it.

If I were you, I would look into the Pre-Owned CPO website (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/preowned). Since you won't 'require' AWD in SC, I would look around on that CPO website and see if there's an S that suits your desires, could save tens of thousands.

Unless you want AWD, then I'd just go for a new 70D.

I live in Golden, BC Canada. AWD and SubZero are a requirement for the car to work in a safe manner up here in Canaderp. Below is my ideal S setup!

It used to be that there was more rear head room with the pano roof. Don't know if that has changed or not.

I'd get black (next gen.) seats. Less maintenance and easier to keep looking mint. For the same reason I'd get a black headliner. A lot easier to keep looking mint.

I'd get a light exterior color. It reflects more sunlight. White is too unpractical though. I'd check if sliver metallic is still available to order 'off menu'. Otherwise I guess there's only titanium metallic left. I you really want to splurge it seems to be possible to order the car with a custom color.

I'd also get the Premium Front Console.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Premium Front Console

And I'd look into what Tesla charges for the Chrome Trim Inserts to be installed at production.

Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Chrome Trim Inserts

I'd also look into what Tesla charges for the aluminum (or whatever metal) pedals (and dead pedal) to be installed at production. As I understand it, they're standard with the P85D, but I don't know about other configs. I may be completely wrong here though...

Metal or rubber pedals | TMC

I've owned an 85 for 2.5 years and in polar opposite climates, so I'll add some opinions you may find helpful.

AWD vs RWD - I've had the RWD in snow and ice a lot. The car handled better than my parent's Toyota Highlander. The traction control works very well and I think the weight of the car really aids in control. The only reason you may want AWD, IMO, is for the faster acceleration. I've driven the P85D and found the front motor noise to be very minor. What I DIDN'T like was the loss of storage space in the front. The Model S has mini-van-like storage, and we often use it. Losing that little bit isn't a deal breaker but is certainly a negative for us.

19" vs 21" - I LOVE the 21" look. However, the tire life is about half and the cost is about double. The ride is noticeably stiffer and the road noise a bit louder. As much as I love the 21" wheels, I will always have 19's. I have the air suspension.

Pano vs solid roof - Again, purely my opinion, but I went solid for a few reasons. Quieter, less heat/cold transfer, no chance of future leaks/problems, and we never use a sunroof when we have one. However, the pano gives a couple more inches of headroom and it does make the car feel much more spacious.

Standard def vs high def audio - this one has more opinions than you can imagine. You just have to go test it out yourself. I have the early standard def which wasn't so hot. I planned to do aftermarket but then found settings that made it pretty nice. Just test them out first.

Autopilot or no - I say just do it because that's where all the advances in this car are going. You'll miss out on a lot of improvements, all free.

Next gen seats vs standard - I'd say next gen although I haven't experienced them(the P85D I drove didn't have them installed yet). The standard seats are ok but they definitely are lacking compared to other luxury carmakers

Bottom line...when I got ordered mine, I foolishly listened to people on this forum that said there was no noticeable difference in acceleration between the P85 and 85(there were no 85's to test drive at the time). Couldn't be any further from the truth. However, the 85 is still plenty of fun and if I owned an 85D or P85D, I'd be even more obnoxious on the road and likely chew up my tires even quicker. If you need to know you can dust a Lambo at a stoplight, get the P85D. A standard Corvette, get the 85D. If none of that concerns you but you still like beating 99% of the cars at the light in order to maneuver lanes or get up the on ramp for position, get the 85. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Dual motor (for range, safety, and resale value)
19" wheels. I love mine, I love being able to rotate them, and I love the less harsh ride and road noise (especially with Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season Plus!)
Pano roof is nice, and if you ever want to put a roof rack on, it's a must since it's the only way to get mounting points. Also, who in Cali wouldn't want a pano roof??
Sound? I skipped it since it didn't sound too different than the non-premium. Yes, there's a sub in the back with the package.
Autopilot, if it's the same price to enable later, just wait.
Lighting, skip it.
Air suspension is great in my opinion. It lowers the car at highway speeds for more range, it gets you up entryways that are steep, any offroading is easily handled by Very High.
Seats, it depends on how big your ass is, and which ones will be more comfortable for you with longer rides. You can only get leather in the new seats.

Hello Geobrick

Since you have left 70D out of the question, it would appear that for the 5% of your driving outside SoCal, you think an additional 25 miles of range is worth $5,000.

So, for another $5,000 above an 85 you get AWD, which for you (or me) would be of no real value. Even most trips to the local mountains do not involve snowy or even muddy roads. 85D would use less power than 85, but at most a couple hundred dollars per year at SCE tiered rates. If you plan to install solar that difference goes away too.

I'm planning to get Pano roof, not because i like sunroofs - I have never used the ones in our Lexus or my previous Audi - but I found that I could not sit in the back seat of a standard roof MS without my head being in contact with the headliner; and I'm only 5' 11". So, who is likely to sit in the back seat of your car? Short people or tall? Pano provides another 2" of headroom. From all accounts, Pano is a little noisier at freeway speeds but even Arizona owners do not find it a significant source of heat inside.

I'm going with Premium package because I am getting tan seats and the light colored headliners do not match and I think similar, but not matching colors, adjacent to one another look bad. The only way to get black is with Premium package. Black looks better with Pano roof too.

Just for fun, I'll add a few of my own comments.

Pano: I'd be lying if I said it didn't add a little to cabin heat, but I don't think it is much. I love it mainly for the additional headroom (I have a 6 foot 5 son and I'm pretty sure the non-Pano roof would have been a bit of a problem for him. Also I'm considering at some point adding a roof rack for SUP boards and that is only possible with the Pano.

Premium sound - I've tried really hard but don't hear that much difference between the standard and premium systems. Wouldn't get it if I ordered again. Maybe it's my choice of music or its source (mainly various internet options)

Premium interior package - maybe not worth it, but I like it. Would order it again.

19 inch tires - definitely. Better wear and somewhat smoother ride, and I live in an area where potholes take over in the sprintime, but keep in mind these are still 45 psi tires so don't expect them to be cushy. I got air suspension, but nobody who ordered coils seems to complain. My father's driveway is sloped in such a way that I really wanted the extra height, even if it was not much.

Enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah I forgot - to get the white headliner (alcantara) you now have to get the premium interior package. Since I love the light headliner with my tan interior than than I will revise my earlier comment to say it is definitely worth it. Along with the other enhancements that come with it, none of which are earth-shattering but in total are nice to have.

Also I forgot to mention the cold weather package - worth it just for the heated steering wheel, probably not for anything else. Even if you don't live in a really cold climate.

We kept it pretty simple. 70D, with the pano roof. It really opens up the car and for us it was the only "must" have item. We have two small boys and their car seats did not work with the next gen seats, so we have the standard seats. We had the windows and pano roof tinted at the Dania SC which stops the heat transfer. After we get the front window filmed we will be all set. Our only regret is that we waited so long to get the Tesla. Its amazing and fun.

Pano - get it - no real heat problem just got home - was out for 2 hours in 108 heat - no issues.

Sound - I got standard very disappointed- added the NVX sub now it sounds great

Seats - I would consider textile - my tan leather got pretty discolored In 6 months and no I was not wearing new jeans

Premium interior - I could not give up the automatic lift gate - everything else I could live without

I'm amazed at all the comments posted in just 7 hours. It will take me a while to read through them all before responding. Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I was able to edit the thread subject to fix the spelling of 'community'.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the "feel" of AWD vs RWD.

Thanks, I'll have to drive both before ordering to compare. I'm sure the feel is different.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone is different, here are my thoughts,

Thanks for the full set of comments/suggestions. I'm not considering the P85D. I was really wondering about the 85 compared with the 85D. Based on your suggestion, I'll also consider the 70D.
It's good to know you think heat isn't an issue with the pano roof. The other advantage to the glass (besides not needing wax) is it should be more durable than paint over the years. I'll have to compare in a test drive on a hot day.
I'll look into the charger options. I didn't see that on the website's ordering section.

- - - Updated - - -

It used to be that there was more rear head room with the pano roof. Don't know if that has changed or not.
I'd get black (next gen.) seats. Less maintenance and easier to keep looking mint. For the same reason I'd get a black headliner. A lot easier to keep looking mint.
I'd get a light exterior color. It reflects more sunlight. White is too unpractical though. I'd check if sliver metallic is still available to order 'off menu'. Otherwise I guess there's only titanium metallic left. I you really want to splurge it seems to be possible to order the car with a custom color.
I'd also get the Premium Front Console.
Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Premium Front Console
And I'd look into what Tesla charges for the Chrome Trim Inserts to be installed at production.
Tesla Accessories and Charging Adapters Chrome Trim Inserts
I'd also look into what Tesla charges for the aluminum (or whatever metal) pedals (and dead pedal) to be installed at production. As I understand it, they're standard with the P85D, but I don't know about other configs. I may be completely wrong here though...
Metal or rubber pedals | TMC

Thanks, I do like the idea of black next gen seats, black headliner and grey/silver/titanium exterior. I'll look at the links you provided.

Pano vs solid roof - Again, purely my opinion, but I went solid for a few reasons. Quieter, less heat/cold transfer, no chance of future leaks/problems, and we never use a sunroof when we have one. However, the pano gives a couple more inches of headroom and it does make the car feel much more spacious.

I'm glad to see some confirmation of my thoughts on the pano roof. I'll still have to try the car with both before I order. Thanks for your other inputs as well.

For me, I went with a 70D rather than a 85 non-D, which is basically 5k different.

I went with D because from reading all the specs, reviews, and feedback, they all say

1) D have better handling
2) D have better efficiency, thus better range
3) D have more HP and better acceleration

I think the UHFS system is fantastic. If you want pound-your-ears-out bass, you are better off going aftermarket; but if you want clarity and high fidelity to the master, the UHFS package is a great value even at its high price point. I listen to acoustic guitar, rock, and jazz/classical piano, and when I A/Bed the standard and UHFS systems I found them night and day. Don't take my word for it, but don't take the naysayers' words either. If you are generally happy to pay for great sound, you owe it to your ears to let them be the judge. Give both versions a listen and see for yourself.