Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shopping for new 19" tires for my P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I currently have Bridgestone potenza s-04 pole position tires on my car. They've been good performance wise, but they're not LRR. They are also currently dirt cheap. They're going to need to be replaced soon and I have a few long road trips coming up this summer, so I'm thinking about replacing them with LRR tires. I have separate snow wheels and tires, so normally I would be looking at just summer tires. However, changing the wheels is a pain, and there are a few all season tires out there now that have me tempted. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else is running a P85D with all-seasons, or has experience with any of these. The Primacy MXM4s are of course an OE tire.

Pilot sport 3
Pilot sport a/s 3
Primacy MXM4

The PS3 and MXM4 are "green x" LRR tires by Michelin. At the moment I'm leaning towards the PS3.

Last edited:
I have a set of the pilot sport a/s 3's and really like them. Great grip in the dry and very good grip in the wet. I am a pretty aggressive driver and it is difficult to even get them to chirp. They are also low rolling resistance. Even the surface of them feels sticky. I have only had them for about 7000 miles so far but I suspect they will last 40K miles like the previous primacy mxm4s I had. As a bonus they are very quiet, much quieter than any 21" tire I have ever heard but not quite as quiet as the primacy mxm4s were. Much quieter than the staggered Pilot Super Sports that were on the P85+ loaner I had, but not as much grip as that setup (is there anything grippier?)

Hm, the A/S 3 are not showing as LRR on tire rack. The P85D pretty much demands performance summer tires if you want to hit the 3.0/3.1 0-60. But the all season tires are getting much closer in summer conditions, and wear better. It might be worth giving up .1/sec or whatever it is.

In northern VA, with snows, it is still south enough that I'd probably stick to summer tires for the rest of the year. How much do you ultimately need the LRR? Do you have range issues?

My average is around 380wH/mile, much higher than my previous P85+. Part of that is the P85D and my right foot. The other part is the pole position tires. In general, I'd like to be more efficient, but to answer your question no, I generally don't have range issues. However, I'm taking two road trips this summer and I will be pushing the range on at least two segments. So that's why I'm focusing a bit on LRR.

Looking at the cost, tread life, and warranty, the A/S 3's are looking like a pretty good deal. They post respectful numbers in the summer; not quite summer performance tires, but really close. In the winter they are good, but not great, but I have dedicated snows so I probably don't care. The negative is that they're not designed to be LRR. Michelin's "Green X" label can be misleading. "[The Green X] is Michelin's guarantee that the tire provides a level of energy efficiency among the highest in the market for its category without compromising other key characteristics, such as traction and treadwear." So while the A/S 3 is NOT green-x, it's entirely possible it has a lower rolling resistance than say the pilot sport 3 which is Green X. It's just not "among the highest in the market" for that category.

I wish rolling resistance was a specification that all tire manufacturers had to list. It would make comparison on that dimension possible.

Last edited:
Have you considered Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires. I now have over 4k miles on these tires and have seen an improvement of 2-3% (wH/mile) over the stock Goodyear tires they replaced. They have great reviews on Tire Rack, a great tread wear rating and are LLR.

Admittedly, I don't push these tires hard and I drive a 85S, not performance orientated like the P85D. However, with the D's power to all 4 wheels, I suspect the 0-60 times with these tires would be in line with the other all season brands out there thou "handling" might suffer.

I was a Michelin for life man until my last set of Michelins' that were suppose to be LLR turned out be be on average about 2 miles a gallon worse than the tires they replaced.

The folks at Michelin have not indicated that the Pilot Sport AS3 has their "Green X" LRR compound, so that leaves the OE Tesla tire and Pilot Sport 3 as the options in 245/45R19. The PS3 is built specifically for Mercedes, and carries the "MO" designation on the sidewall for reference. As it is strictly an OE tire (all the PS3 models are OE as far as I know), we don't do any testing on that model. The PS3 was intended to be a replacement to the PS2, but soon after it was released Michelin decided to jump to the Super Sport as a better options. I'd say that if you factor in the longer (expected) life of the AS3, that would be the clear winner if we ignore LRR capability.

Tire manufacturers are not yet willing to share any specific info on their specific LRR rubber compounds as they still hold them as trade "secrets".......if we get to the point that there is a competitive advantage to advertise specifics, then we'll see what they have.

Both the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus (V rated) and the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus state they use LRR technology, and while they may not have the same level of (high performance) grip that the Pilot Sport AS3 has, both should be slightly more comfortable and slightly more durable.

Hope this helps !

Just looked at the Cinturato specs. Fairly impressive. They have a speed rating of V vs W, though. In the real world it probably doesn't make a difference. 149 vs 168. They don't have the same wet traction performance as the a/s the 3.

There is one fairly negative review from a Model S owner on tire rack.

Last edited:
The folks at Michelin have not indicated that the Pilot Sport AS3 has their "Green X" LRR compound
Well my PS3 A/S have the GreenX logo right on the side and the average wh/mile has not changed from the Primacies I had before.
PS3AS.JPG

Well my PS3 A/S have the GreenX logo right on the side and the average wh/mile has not changed from the Primacies I had before.
View attachment 85233

That's not the GreenX logo. That's just the Radial X. That being said, I have about 25k miles or so on my A/S 3 and love them. Treadwear is great too. Not even halfway through mine. While they are incredible in wet and dry conditions, they are not for the winter ice and snow though. I highly recommend them, as long as you have a good winter set too :)

That's not the GreenX logo. That's just the Radial X. That being said, I have about 25k miles or so on my A/S 3 and love them. Treadwear is great too. Not even halfway through mine. While they are incredible in wet and dry conditions, they are not for the winter ice and snow though. I highly recommend them, as long as you have a good winter set too :)

And what's your summer avg wH/mile and driving style?