Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Panoramic Roof Sun Shades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine for almost 6 months. It's two pieces. You can leave them in place when you open the roof. I think they fit and look great and I actually leave them there all the time. Only minor complaint is they are a little tricky to install especially the first time.

I'm not sure if you need to remove them to open the pano roof, but there are 2 separate sun shades. I don't own a set, myself. I do have the heat shield for the windshield, but I haven't felt that enough heat comes in through the sunroof to warrant purchasing the sun shades for the pano roof (yet anyway). Good luck in making your decision!
Anyone bought this from Tesla? I can't seem to find review on this.

questions

• Is it single or two pieces shade?
  • do u need to remove it if u open the pano roof?

Any other feedback or pics?

I've had mine for almost 6 months. It's two pieces. You can leave them in place when you open the roof. I think they fit and look great and I actually leave them there all the time. Only minor complaint is they are a little tricky to install especially the first time.

Thanks for the report.

Do you have the hatch window shade? That one seems like a more necessary item to minimize interior heat buildup.

I've had mine for a year or so (I can't recall for certain). I leave them in all the time and they work great. The only reason I can think of to not get them is if you are so tall that you need that extra one inch of headroom.

Should I consider a rear sunshade even with a dark rear ceramic tint?

I have a 40% ceramic tint on the front and rear windows plus the liftgate. After getting it installed, my car is very comfortable and heat intrusion is not a problem. I have the pano roof, but didn't get the sunshades or add more tinting to it. That said, I don't have 3rd row seats to have passengers back there to provide feedback while out driving. I always feel cool air when I pop the trunk though.

Should I consider a rear sunshade even with a dark rear ceramic tint?

If bright lights from the car behind you bother you, get the hatch sunshade. Otherwise, I doubt there's any need as you have additional tinting.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 40% ceramic tint on the front and rear windows plus the liftgate. After getting it installed, my car is very comfortable and heat intrusion is not a problem. I have the pano roof, but didn't get the sunshades or add more tinting to it. That said, I don't have 3rd row seats to have passengers back there to provide feedback while out driving. I always feel cool air when I pop the trunk though.

The sunshades reduce the light when the pano is open (even at 20% it's a big help). They also keep bugs out when camping.

This is an interesting thread with thoughtful replies. I would have thought that since these shades are internal to the glass any heat they absorb would still add to the heat of the cabin such that the net energy gain to the cabin would be the same with or without the shades. Can anyone comment on the physics? I lack the sophistication to figure this out.

This is an interesting thread with thoughtful replies. I would have thought that since these shades are internal to the glass any heat they absorb would still add to the heat of the cabin such that the net energy gain to the cabin would be the same with or without the shades. Can anyone comment on the physics? I lack the sophistication to figure this out.

Even though they are black, there will still be some heat reflected back to the glass. There will also be a minuscule amount of heat captured in the netting. Mostly they are light blockers.

I really like the airy feel of the pano. Do these shades significantly darken the interior? Also, is there any buffeting of the front one when the roof is totally open? I am considering them for the summer months.

When closed there's no difference shade or no shade. I've never heard of any buffeting, but I never drive with the pano open, even partially, at speeds higher than ~20 mph. As they are inside and out of the airflow, I don't see how there could be any difference in noise level.

So how are they in place with the roof open to 75% and traveling at 60mph? Is this feasible or desirable?

Thanks for the report.

Do you have the hatch window shade? That one seems like a more necessary item to minimize interior heat buildup.
Just my 2 cents - I live in Phoenix, AZ, and we're getting into 116+ degree weather. I feel heat coming through the windshield, but not through the roof panel. There appears to be highly reflective chroma coating on it that reflects the heat extremely well.

I had the other windows tinted as soon as I got the car. The windshield will be done in July. Is it possible the heat you're feeling is coming from the windshield?

Just my 2 cents - I live in Phoenix, AZ, and we're getting into 116+ degree weather. I feel heat coming through the windshield, but not through the roof panel. There appears to be highly reflective chroma coating on it that reflects the heat extremely well.

I had the other windows tinted as soon as I got the car. The windshield will be done in July. Is it possible the heat you're feeling is coming from the windshield?

I noticed the same with cooler temps here. I could feel the heat coming off windows and windshield, not the pano. This also explained why when driving loaners, the tops of my arms got warm, but my ears didn't.

I noticed the same with cooler temps here. I could feel the heat coming off windows and windshield, not the pano. This also explained why when driving loaners, the tops of my arms got warm, but my ears didn't.

Windshield adds huge heat to the car! More than you would ever imagine, but then again, look at the area of that baby. Here in Las Vegas, I tinted the windshield when I got it and the car has been very comfortable. Had to replace my windshield last week and really noticed the effect of no tinting. Have an appointment on Thurs to have the 3M tint reinstalled.