Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation anomalies with 6.2 and the marvel of Waze

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

During the last few weeks I have had numerous instances of quite odd misnavigation, including:
- going to the correct street but to a street number more than two miles away from the one selected and confirmed;
- when navigation on a given street to a point further along the same street, navigates via minor streets away from the direct route to the correct address, and to a point on a divided street exactly opposite the correct location, showing a left turn over a dividing boundary;
- navigating along interstate highway routes more than thirty miles out of the way going on a toll road when the direct shorter route was much more efficient;
-insists on routing far out of way in opposite direction in order to visit supercharger completely unnecessary given state of charge. This one has had several comments and is easily solved by eliminating Superchargers from the route, but it is still irritating.
-navigating to my home location almost never chooses any reasonable option.

Given that Waze is owned by Google and presumably uses Google Maps it is odd that Waze nearly always provides quite superb directions, even including the optimal route through highway construction sites. How I wish Waze on the Tesla could work with the efficiency it does on a smartphone! Local area highway construction is constantly changing the best connections between two roads i often use. Waze always guides me through the morass it seems within a few hours of a given change.

The Tesla navigation definitely leaves much to be desired. I too have experienced the destination discrepancies and other issues you described. I don't get it either, since it uses Google navigation, and Google Maps is always spot-on with the destination and provides good routing. The same goes for Waze. Don't even get me started on the oddities of the trip planner...