Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting an S to wait for the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting an S to wait for the X...
I'm just wondering because I have convinced a family member to really considering ordering the X.
I was once told by a rep at the retail store that we could potentially just get an S now, then when the X arrives, we "sub" it instead of selling the car back to them,
has anybody asked that same question and went thru with purchasing the S? and how did they guaranteed that? :confused:

(or was this a car selling tactic that I've never heard of...?)

I don't think you should believe the sales rep as far as this deal making any kind of financial sense - unless they offer you some deal signed and in writing. Quite likely you would get a trade-in offer eventually, with the usual depreciation and so fort. Certainly I've never heard of Tesla having any kind of a "have a Model S on us while you wait for the X"... ;)

That said, I've been driving a P85 for the best part of the year and expect to do so until my Model X arrives. Financially, not the best idea, emotionally very satisfying. Your mileage may vary. Given the current schedule expectations, I'd expect Model X production unveil to be quite close to when you'd receive a factory-ordered Model S, if ordering now. Depending on what launches with Model X, it may or may not affect things.

As for when you could be in a Model X. For new orders, I'd think it may take a year or so to get a Model X if ordering now. Sooner, if you have an existing reservation.

I'm just wondering because I have convinced a family member to really considering ordering the X.
I was once told by a rep at the retail store that we could potentially just get an S now, then when the X arrives, we "sub" it instead of selling the car back to them,
has anybody asked that same question and went thru with purchasing the S? and how did they guaranteed that? :confused:

Here's the generic info that I think is what you can expect Tesla to do for you when going from S to X.
Trade ins | Tesla Motors

James, what do you mean by "sub it"?

That's what I wanted to know...because when I asked for the X's release he told me to just get the S now to anticipate when the X was out, because the X wasn't priced yet, maybe there was some pricing/tradein deal in place?

I just wanted to know if anybody brought up the same question, and got a similar answer.
I'm guessing the trade-in program mentioned should make the most sense, but for face saving I would think Tesla might've made some next level service for the unhappy reserves.

Since the X was delayed, I would assume people getting too hasty waiting for the X but just got an S instead and wanted a deal.

My advice: Do not trust vague forward-looking statements from individual Tesla reps, unless there is a policy on place (and even that may be risky, e.g. changes to ranger service or feared-by-some changes to Supercharger).

I got an S due to the delay. Brief discussion about the trade in, but in no certain terms would a deal be struck like "sub". It'll be strictly a trade. Given the short time line your trade in value might be really good, but do expect a normal depreciation hit. It won't be a cheap substitute to tie you over.

That being said, if you could get something in writing from an authorized individual about it being "sub" at x rate per month/mile, do let us know!

Also a few other people have been contacted about getting a S while they wait with the offer of a good trade in. But again that's nothing special above a normal trade.

No guarantee that I've ever heard, but I'm hopeful that they will be better equipped to handle trade-ins in general and Model S trade-ins specifically by the time the X comes out.

Like many, I wanted an X but the clock ran out so I have an S. (No sympathy needed!)

I suppose it will all boil down to how great the X really is versus the financial whack of first year deprecation on the S, sure to be extremely painful.

But some fortunate folks who always wanted an S should have great CPO choices once X production ramps up.

If you want to estimate the trade-in value for a Model S during the first year, try using the following formula:

1. Take your final purchase price, excluding tax.
2. Subtract all available state and federal EV incentives, whether you were able to claim them or not.
3. Subtract $1,000 for each month you own the car and $1 per mile driven.

The value you end up with is your best case trade-in price. Subtract another 5% to allow for profit & overhead and ask yourself if you'd be okay trading in for that price. Also consider taxes paid and whether your state gives you credit towards the taxes owed on a new vehicle.

If you want to estimate the trade-in value for a Model S during the first year, try using the following formula:

1. Take your final purchase price, excluding tax.
2. Subtract all available state and federal EV incentives, whether you were able to claim them or not.
3. Subtract $1,000 for each month you own the car and $1 per mile driven.

The value you end up with is your best case trade-in price. Subtract another 5% to allow for profit & overhead and ask yourself if you'd be okay trading in for that price. Also consider taxes paid and whether your state gives you credit towards the taxes owed on a new vehicle.

My understanding is that TMC adds a flat $7,000 for the sale of a CPO. I believe that is what you mean in the 5% profit but is is a flat number, not a %. They also add something for every month that they have to extend the warranty to reach the 4 years for the resale.

My understanding is that TMC adds a flat $7,000 for the sale of a CPO. I believe that is what you mean in the 5% profit but is is a flat number, not a %. They also add something for every month that they have to extend the warranty to reach the 4 years for the resale.
What I posted was just a guesstimate that's pretty close to the numbers I've seen.

I ordered an X then drove the S and decided it was such a great car that I would be very happy with it. Fortunately, they came out with the D before delivery so I was able to switch to an 85D. The main reason I wanted an X was the 4 wheel drive and now that I have the S and have driven it in snow, I don't think I need the X. The S is a beautiful car and the X seems a bit ungainly like all the other large SUVs (don't know for sure, I'll have to wait and see it in person).
So, I think I'll still keep the S rather than take a bath on trade in. I think I like it better than the X. I do have friends who would be interested in the X but as far as I know, there is no way for me to transfer my reservation to them.
Anyway, I'm keeping my X reservation until I can actually see the X and pricing, etc. to make my final decision but right now my thinking is that I will keep the S since it is such a perfect car.

I ordered an X then drove the S and decided it was such a great car that I would be very happy with it. Fortunately, they came out with the D before delivery so I was able to switch to an 85D. The main reason I wanted an X was the 4 wheel drive and now that I have the S and have driven it in snow, I don't think I need the X. The S is a beautiful car and the X seems a bit ungainly like all the other large SUVs (don't know for sure, I'll have to wait and see it in person).
So, I think I'll still keep the S rather than take a bath on trade in. I think I like it better than the X. I do have friends who would be interested in the X but as far as I know, there is no way for me to transfer my reservation to them.
Anyway, I'm keeping my X reservation until I can actually see the X and pricing, etc. to make my final decision but right now my thinking is that I will keep the S since it is such a perfect car.
Your points make sense to me.

The X will never be as graceful as the S, and that will be hard to reconcile after owning the S. The appeal of the X for me was to get the some of the SUV advantages of space, comfort, ride height, and capacity without the penalty clause of high center of gravity and sucking down great quantities of fuel. It seems the best of all worlds-a large vehicle without most of the large vehicle problems.

Your points make sense to me.

The X will never be as graceful as the S, and that will be hard to reconcile after owning the S. The appeal of the X for me was to get the some of the SUV advantages of space, comfort, ride height, and capacity without the penalty clause of high center of gravity and sucking down great quantities of fuel. It seems the best of all worlds-a large vehicle without most of the large vehicle problems.

The ride height should be almost the same as they are both built on the same platform. The other points are valid.

X will have Falcon Wings.

Grace. Pfft.

- - - Updated - - -

The ride height should be almost the same as they are both built on the same platform. The other points are valid.

Both competition precedent on same-platform cross overs as well as Model X mule photography suggests there will be a notable ground clearance difference, but yeah probably not dedicated SUV level.

Model X next to Model S:

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about - Page 5

Audi precedent:

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about