Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it Conceivable to Go Back to ICE After Driving a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

I am planning on purchasing a Model 3 when they are finally released. I know it's a ways away, but I can't wait (for many, many reasons).

I thought to myself "if I buy a Tesla, I don't think I will ever go back to a "regular" car again."

Can anybody vouch for this? Is it even possible to return to an ICE vehicle after owning a Tesla?

Thanks.

I have a small Renault Zoe with a range between 60 mi (winter) and 90 mi (most ideal summer weather). I would hope my next EV will have more range, but I will never go back to the gas station. Well, unless I want to use their bathroom... or want to buy something to eat or drink.

Seems like an overwhelming agreement. So what is "it" about Tesla or EV that makes you never want to go back?

- The driving experience. I'm not just talking about acceleration, it's the vibration free and instantaneous response.
- The convenience of filling up at home.
- The simplicity of the drive train.
- The absence of the hot engine.
- The absence of a noisy engine.
- The absence of a tank full of highly flammable liquid.

Seems like an overwhelming agreement. So what is "it" about Tesla or EV that makes you never want to go back? And is this the beginning of the end for ICE?

Let me add...
No plug, No deal.

The general EV advantages:
Convenience - it is simply so very convenient for me to wake up every morning with a full "tank".
Drive quality - quieter, smoother, more predictable.
Performance - 100% torque at zero RPM, instant response (no valves to open, no turbo to wind up, etc.)

Tesla specific
Best performance and drive quality of any EV.
User interface is remarkable.
Service is outstanding, far better than any I have experienced with Mercedes, Chevy, Saturn, Lexus, Oldsmobile.
OTA updates that add to the functionality of the car, simply amazing.

I don't expect to ever buy anything but a Tesla in the future, I feel safe stating I will never buy another ICE. If I am feeling nostalgic, I'd sooner buy a horse.

No. Actually pretty much true for any EV. Leaf owners and Volt owners are not willing to go back to ICE either. Most Volt owners really dislike it when they run out of EV only range and the ICE "range extending generator" kicks on.

TRUE! Our Volt that was initially used for long distance travel, I dislike the generator so much that we (now) only the Tesla for long distance travel and the Volt for short day trips where the generator is unlikely to kick on.

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like having both and going back and forth--the effortless, quiet, perhaps somewhat sterile Tesla experience, and the visceral experience of a two-seater with a V8, a manual transmission, and a throaty exhaust.

Attachments

• aston.png
    aston.png
    815.9 KB · Views: 919
Hi All.

I am planning on purchasing a Model 3 when they are finally released. I know it's a ways away, but I can't wait (for many, many reasons).

I thought to myself "if I buy a Tesla, I don't think I will ever go back to a "regular" car again."

Can anybody vouch for this? Is it even possible to return to an ICE vehicle after owning a Tesla?

Thanks.

It's pretty easy to use an ICE after having a Tesla. I prefer to drive my gas powered VW Rabbit around town, especially in crowded areas (parking lots, downtown SF, etc.). There's a lot of things I like the Tesla for, but there's a lot to be said for an ICE too. My Rabbit has a manual transmission and while instant torque is nice, racing through gears is something I'd never give up. Plus, I'm looking at a 100 mile round trip to get to and from SF, which is not in the range of a small EV.

Maybe one day things will progress to the point where an ICE is no longer superior for certain uses, but that day is pretty far away as far as I'm concerned. And the ICE driving experience is a joy in and of itself. Driving enthusiasts (which I am) value things like the sound of a car's engine and the challenge of working a manual transmission for top performance.