Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics of three OTHER wonderful EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
...from the past.
Most surprisingly, Fairbanks AK has an absolutely topnotch automobile museum. It is quite focused: nothing later than early 1930s. Every single car is positioned so you can walk 360º around it; unlike most other museums you can photograph to your heart's content; they have period costumes for each era; topical slide shows or movies along the walls; you can dress up in costume and pose in one of their vehicles - it's really neat (no,this thread is not a shill for the museum).

Here are a some photos of three cars I took last summer from within their electric auto collection, and finally am taking the time to share. First up is a 1912 Rauch & Lang. See if you can find the feature it shares with the New VW Beetle.
IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg

That Rauch & Lang also presages what a lot of speculation concerning the Model X has centered on: rear-swiveling seats! I'll have to remember to ask what that salon's foot pedal is for, as it seems to be behind the driver, when facing forward.

Next up: a 1913 Argo. Apologies for the awkward double-shot of the descriptor. Note its "combination brake-and-speed foot control". Does that sound familiar, everyone?!?! Also: I can't seem to get rid of the double photos, even with the "Manage Attachments" edit tool.
IMG_0755.jpg
IMG_0756.jpg
IMG_0757.jpg
IMG_0759.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 640
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Third and final: 1903 Columbia
Another terrific feature of this museum is that not only is every single vehicle in the collection driveable, but each is taken out on a rotating basis to ensure they remain so. The first and only time we were there, I went out in a ....well, something that was noisy and red ;) ... but, with a little planning and coaxing, I'm going to try to make sure the ​next time, Jenny and I get to ride in one of these beauties. And pix will follow!

I love the line: "popular...especially in large cities where battery-recharging stations were readily available". 112 years ago!!!!!!!

IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg

That Rauch & Lang also presages what a lot of speculation concerning the Model X has centered on: rear-swiveling seats! I'll have to remember to ask what that salon's foot pedal is for, as it seems to be behind the driver, when facing forward.

Looking at the available information, I'm leaning towards the car being driven from the left rear seat (the left side of the rear couch.) I'm pretty sure the object at the extreme right side of the third picture is a folding tiller arm (for steering) - you can see it has such a thing in the first shot, a handle sticking almost straight up.

Why you would build the car to be driven from the back seat, I'm really not sure. How sure are we that the two rearward facing front seats swivel to face forward?

Actually, the description text tells you the driver is at the rear: "designed for conversation, with the front passengers facing the driver in the rear." Wacky. :)
Walter

Range 'up to 75 miles'.... hmm.... it only took Nissan and their Leaf another 100 years to get into the 80 mile range. Gotta love progress...! :cool:

Ironic, isn't it? Some in the era advertised 100 miles or more. OTOH, those cars were limited to 20-25 mph.

Thanks for posting these. I am going to be in Fairbanks in a couple of months, and will see about getting over to the museum.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the available information, I'm leaning towards the car being driven from the left rear seat (the left side of the rear couch.) I'm pretty sure the object at the extreme right side of the third picture is a folding tiller arm (for steering) - you can see it has such a thing in the first shot, a handle sticking almost straight up.

Driving position wasn't standardized back then. A lot of brass era (e.g. pre-WW 1) cars in the U.S. were RHD.

A different Walter

OK, one last auto - and although this is OT 'cuz it's ​not an EV, no one had better report me or I'll go all non-mild-mannered on ya....

This is the museum's 1927 Stutz Black Hawk Boattail with a straight-8 298cu in - "Guaranteed To 80mph" Notice the position of the side view mirror!
And, hey...I've got on a checked shirt. Hmmm....:rolleyes:
IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0766.jpg

Range 'up to 75 miles'.... hmm.... it only took Nissan and their Leaf another 100 years to get into the 80 mile range. Gotta love progress...! :cool:

I'm pretty sure that was a poor attempt at a joke.
Just in case any third parties don't recognize it as such, it is a huge amount of progress when you consider the max speed, power and weight of the early Electric's compared to the Leaf, or any other modern EV.

I'm pretty sure that was a poor attempt at a joke.
Just in case any third parties don't recognize it as such, it is a huge amount of progress when you consider the max speed, power and weight of the early Electric's compared to the Leaf, or any other modern EV.
I think the joke is really in how long it took. Imagine the progress that would have been made if we didn't take a century off from working on electric propulsion systems wasting our time with internal combustion.

Great quote! Have you also a pic of the entire list of advantages over horses, by the way?

No, unfortunately I don't. I had just zoomed in on that quote and didn't even realize that the list was talking about electric advantages. Will have to check my wife's phone to see if she captured it. Having looked at it now, I think #2 might be a stretch with a Tesla and it's vampire losses and all :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the placards from those two Studebakers:

IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG