Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route cable under rear seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I want to route a 12V cable from the center console to the trunk (right behind the rear seats). Can I simply fish it under the rear seats? Have others done this and any input on whether it is straightforward? I am aware the chargers are located there, along with related HV wiring.

I've found the thread showing how to remove the rear seats (here), but I'd rather not have to go to the trouble of removing them if I can simply fish a small wire through.

Thanks!

What do you want to use the 12v for? Perhaps there is a place in the trunk you can tap into instead of routing the wire. That said, if you decide to route the wire, I would personally go through the headliner. Check out the Blackvue Dashcam threads about routing the wire to the trunk.

Thanks. I want to use it for a circulating fan to get air from back seat to 3rd row. The fan sits in between the 2nd and 3rd row. I want to route from center console because I have a controller up there to control the fan speed. Thus why I didn't want a power source in the trunk.
I posted in one of the 3rd row ventilation threads my setup.

artsci probably knows better, but I believe there is switched 12v in the right lower trunk behind the fuzzy trunk liner at the liftgate module. Some of us have installed his rear liftgate applique kit (lighted) and had to tap 12v there for the controller module.

For an electric car, I remain amazed at the lack of electric outlets! I would have expected 12v outlets in the Trunk and Frunk (for coolers and such) and maybe more than just one in the cabin. A 120 volt outlet (like my cheap Pontiac Vibe has) would have been nice too.

For an electric car, I remain amazed at the lack of electric outlets! I would have expected 12v outlets in the Trunk and Frunk (for coolers and such) and maybe more than just one in the cabin. A 120 volt outlet (like my cheap Pontiac Vibe has) would have been nice too.

That's a good point. Why isn't there a 12V outlet in the trunk?

Tesla, if you're listening please add one on the Model X if you haven't already.