Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC turning on at random while parked and locked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday afternoon a few hours after I parked I went outside and heard my Model S Sig making a bunch of noise. Opened the app and found the AC on. It said it was 95 inside the car which isn't particularly hot for this region and I've never seen this happen before. Then this morning the security guard at work called me to tell me my car was making a bunch of noise. Couldn't get to it remotely (stupid crap app) and by the time I went to the car it was quiet. I opened the door and turned off the AC just to be sure. Anyone else had this happen?

Just a wild guess, but do you have Smart Preconditioning turned out? Perhaps it thinks you are about to occupy the car?

I have mine turned off because I don't keep a regular schedule.

I have it turned on, but both instances have been at times I almost never use the car. Late afternoon after coming home from work and mid-morning while at work. I asked Tesla to take a look at the logs. If it does turn out to be Smart Preconditioning, I would say they should lose the Smart part of the name.

Reactions: Quetal1
I have also had instances of AC coming on by itself while charging. Smart Precondition ingredients ON. This could be the culprit as I periodically check my car while at work and turn on AC and center roof if it is hot. I also move the car within 4 hours (charging limit at work). I think it is learning my habits

The battery thermal management is capable of turning on the AC and heating to cool or heat the pack as needed during temperature extremes, even while unplugged.

Do you park in the sun by chance?

I was asked by my co-werkers why my car is "peeing" so profusely. When we hopped inside to go fur lunch it was nice and chilled. It was inside a parking garage on a not particularly hot day and the smart preconditioning was off.

I was asked by my co-werkers why my car is "peeing" so profusely. When we hopped inside to go fur lunch it was nice and chilled. It was inside a parking garage on a not particularly hot day and the smart preconditioning was off.

If there is much stagnant air, I can imagine the BMS needing to cool the pack, especially if it was charging at some point while sitting. At least, that's what I tell myself to explain why sometimes I see over 1k Wh/mile when I first get in my car at the garage.

Where is it?
Smart Preconditioning (BETA)

With this release, Smart Preconditioning will automatically get the cabin climate ready for you, based on
the last set temperature and your driving schedule. Model S will observe your driving schedule and when
it’s confident in identifying a pattern, it will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or
at work.

Smart Preconditioning will be disabled by default. You can enable it via the SMART PRECONDITIONING
setting in Controls > Settings > Vehicle > CLIMATE.TESLA MOTORS - SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION 5

Note:
-If you do not have a regular driving schedule, Model S will not be able to confidently identify a pattern
and may not ever start Smart Preconditioning for your car.

-Smart Preconditioning is only available if you save home and work locations.

Mine also has turned on the AC at weird times..... yesterday 10:37pm and the day before at 5am..... I do think it's preconditioning, even though I may have only gone out once a bit after those times it really shouldn't think that's the new schedule because I did it once....?

-m