Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erwin, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the new version of Supercharger | Tesla Motors shows that in 2015 Rochester is getting a Supercharger! Pretty cool for us folks who live in Rochester, though with Buffalo and Syracuse chargers I'm not sure how useful/what hole it fills for travelers.

I'd like to see one down around Painted Post as that's the route to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC and points South that many in Western NY would prefer. This would also help fill a big SC hole in North Central PA and the NY Southern Tier, but even 2016 doesn't show one there.

Maybe if enough people rally for it they'll move it onto the 2015 or 2016 calendar...

With all due respect, I would like to see Tesla use their limited resources to fill in the gap between Buffalo and Macedonia, OH. With a Supercharger under construction in the Binghamton area there would seem to be less of an imperative for one in the Corning area.

One can already make it from Buffalo to Syracuse without needing a charger in Rochester; I did it this past summer. However, assuming the Erie SC gets installed in the not-too-distant future, having a SC in Corning makes it possible to traverse NY from the west (Macedonia) without having to drive all the way to to Buffalo. So, I submit that with Binghamton going in, Corning & Erie become a higher priority than Rochester.

I agree that Rochester is a far lower priority than Erie. However, Google Maps shows the Erie, PA to Corning, NY distance via I86/13 as 232 miles. A rather challenging distance in the summer and not do-able in the winter at all. So again, I question the allocation of resources.

I agree that Rochester is a far lower priority than Erie. However, Google Maps shows the Erie, PA to Corning, NY distance via I86/13 as 232 miles. A rather challenging distance in the summer and not do-able in the winter at all. So again, I question the allocation of resources.

After Erie is built (soon, we all hope), I think BATH, NY (or better yet, Avoca) is a better choice. It's 169 miles from Erie, which is doable. It's also 96 miles from Binghamton. And it's at the junction of route 17 (excuse me, I-86) and I390. Hornell would be fine too.

What do you think of this as a site? Corning is at the junction of I-99 / US 15 and route 17, but I don't think it's necessary to have a Supercharger there if you put one in Bath.

For people heading south on US 15, the next priority is Lewisburg PA / Williamsport PA which also enables east-west trips on I-80.

After Erie is built (soon, we all hope), I think BATH, NY (or better yet, Avoca) is a better choice. It's 169 miles from Erie, which is doable. It's also 96 miles from Binghamton. And it's at the junction of route 17 (excuse me, I-86) and I390. Hornell would be fine too.

What do you think of this as a site? Corning is at the junction of I-99 / US 15 and route 17, but I don't think it's necessary to have a Supercharger there if you put one in Bath.

For people heading south on US 15, the next priority is Lewisburg PA / Williamsport PA which also enables east-west trips on I-80.

I would vote for Bath, since Corning, California, is already up. Less confusion.

Yes, much better.

Looks like Williamsport and maybe Harrisburg are showing up on the 2015 Supercharger map now. So Avoca really becomes a sweet spot. Also much more important than Rochester, unless I'm missing something?

Where is the map these days? The supercharger page on tesla's website now asks for a search address, and I don't see how to just bring up the future map?

Yeah, I thought it used to open to the map! Then I figured it might be "old-timers" setting in.

They keep changing the page. You have to page down twice. And supercharge.info is much more accurate for open today and opening soon. 2015 looks like it's going to be wildly inaccurate based on permits and under construction. In fact, they really need to update the 2015 to 2016, and the 2016 to 2017.

Yeah, I thought it used to open to the map! Then I figured it might be "old-timers" setting in.

They keep changing the page. You have to page down twice. And supercharge.info is much more accurate for open today and opening soon. 2015 looks like it's going to be wildly inaccurate based on permits and under construction. In fact, they really need to update the 2015 to 2016, and the 2016 to 2017.

Correct on all accounts. Only thing I really "use" Tesla's SC map page for is to see where they're HOPE to build SOMEDAY.

Reactions: ThosEM
It does look like that. Corning is a nice place but the better one would be in Avoca, near the intersection of 86 and 390. That would help the people traveling west to Ohio and NW to Buffalo. I have done the drive to Buffalo many times, and while the new chargers along 81 and the Thruway through Syracuse and Rochester help, the better drive is through SW NY, cutting through Batavia. A Corning SC would make that drive doable in the summer, but would probably be a stretch for 70s in the winter.

Reactions: mrElbe