Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blink / Chargepoint Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious...

I ordered the HPWC, but afterward caught me thinking. In terms of versatile, let say if the household get a leaf or some other EV as well. Is it better to put in a home BLINK charger or home Chargepoint charger? Other than it will be slower than HPWC, any advantages?

Or will the HPWC have an adapter to use on other EVs?

Just curious...since i got an email from Blink about their Blink Home charger.

So far as I know, there's no way to adapt an HPWC to other charging standards. OTOH, the Model S comes with a J1772 adapter that fits between a J1772 EVSE cable and the Model S charge port. So if you don't need the faster charge rate an HPWC affords and you do plan to add another, non-Tesla EV, it might just make sense to install the home J1772 EVSE instead.

Check out Clipper Creek's web page for home charging. You can get a 32A J1772 for about $565, plus your costs to have it installed. They are made right here in the good ol' US of A (I know they have a place in Auburn, California.)

ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging

They also have plugs from 15A to 48A.
They go all the way to 80a, but the price does not compare to the HPWC:

ClipperCreek | EV Charging Stations | EVSE | Electric Vehicle Charging

THanks. From this thread and other i've seen on googling around, it seem NEMA is the best approach to be versatile. I might end up with that.

The electrician quoted me $600.00 for the NEMA 14-50 on a 50a switch with permit. To install the HPWC he said around $800 on a 100a switch. I'll have to ask him how much more if i do both at the same time. If even 1k, I might go that route.

I just installed a Chargepoint Home, since I share a charger with my wife's Leaf.

It replaced a 4 1/2 year old Blink that was giving me intermittent 'faults' and making a weird buzzing noise.

The setup was super easy. It took almost as long to remove the Blink as it did to set up and install the Chargepoint.

I have a NEMA 6-50 socket, so I simply bought the plug type model on Amazon. It screws into the wall stud with 3 screws. A drill socket is included, so I simply drilled the 3 screws into place, hooked up 4 wires from the 25' J1772 into clips, placed a securing clip to the wires, put on the front of the case and plugged it in. Seriously it took less than 10 minutes.

Since I already had a Chargepoint account and the Chargepoint app, it instantly found my Chargepoint Home. I provided our WiFi password, then my Nest username and password for Nest integration, and I was done. That took less than 2 minutes.

Charges at 32amp 240v without any hiccups. Looks prettier than the old Blink. The Blink was de-rated from 30 amps to 24 amps, so this gets my charging rate back up too.

Reactions: rpez021
I just installed a Chargepoint Home, since I share a charger with my wife's Leaf.

It replaced a 4 1/2 year old Blink that was giving me intermittent 'faults' and making a weird buzzing noise.

The setup was super easy. It took almost as long to remove the Blink as it did to set up and install the Chargepoint.

I have a NEMA 6-50 socket, so I simply bought the plug type model on Amazon. It screws into the wall stud with 3 screws. A drill socket is included, so I simply drilled the 3 screws into place, hooked up 4 wires from the 25' J1772 into clips, placed a securing clip to the wires, put on the front of the case and plugged it in. Seriously it took less than 10 minutes.

Since I already had a Chargepoint account and the Chargepoint app, it instantly found my Chargepoint Home. I provided our WiFi password, then my Nest username and password for Nest integration, and I was done. That took less than 2 minutes.

Charges at 32amp 240v without any hiccups. Looks prettier than the old Blink. The Blink was de-rated from 30 amps to 24 amps, so this gets my charging rate back up too.
Seriously considering this if Im limited to 40A breaker in my new house. If I can go to 80A, then I will go with a Clipper Creek 60A. I'm giving up on Nest since they refuse to support Apple integration. Does the Home connect to any other home automation, specifically Homekit? Will it with a future firmware update (i.e. any announcements)?

What exactly does the Nest integration do? The website says "track usage and save on energy costs". I don't quite understand how integrating with a thermostat will save on energy costs. I suppose if a Nest Protect had a smoke alarm it could stop charging the car?

Seriously considering this if Im limited to 40A breaker in my new house. If I can go to 80A, then I will go with a Clipper Creek 60A. I'm giving up on Nest since they refuse to support Apple integration. Does the Home connect to any other home automation, specifically Homekit? Will it with a future firmware update (i.e. any announcements)?

No word on connecting to other home automation. Their iPhone app lets you control charge schedules. It appears to have performed a firmware update after connecting to my wifi, so it could have future capabilities. I would think it would depend on letting others access it's api.

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly does the Nest integration do? The website says "track usage and save on energy costs". I don't quite understand how integrating with a thermostat will save on energy costs. I suppose if a Nest Protect had a smoke alarm it could stop charging the car?

If you have a Nest account, you already get an energy utilization report emailed to you monthly.

The chargepoint sends info to nest, and the monthly report simply includes your monthly charging stats.

You can also see your activity on the iPhone app.

As as far as a charger, I get the full 32 amps at 245v , and it starts faster than Blink. It also doesn't make any loud clunks like Blink. It is elegant and quiet.

You buy an extra J1772 adapter?
I have a similar setup - a NEMA 14-50 (50 A circuit) with a Clipper Creek 32A EVSA plugged in. Use the J1772 from the UMC and pretty much leave that one on the Clipper Creek unless I know I'll need to do 1772 charging when I'm out and about.
Advantages: J1772 is the "universal donor" for EVs. NEMA 4-50 can still be used for the UMC for rare occasions I need the slightly fast 40A charging.

32a is slower than the UMC or the Leviton 40a a bit right?

It's slower, but not noticeably slower in most cases. The 8 amps difference doesn't increase the speed by all that much. My setup is a 14-50 for the Tesla (which I usually set to 33 amps) and a Clipper Creek 32 amp for the Leaf. In an emergency, I could charge the Tesla from the Clipper Creek and the Leaf from the wall. That gives me a backup for both cars.

You buy an extra J1772 adapter?

No, not initially. I just leave the adapter that Tesla supplied when I bought the car next to the charger. I take it off when I'm done, so my wife can plug in her Leaf later.

I did later buy a spare J1772 adapter on eBay for travel purposes that I keep in the glove box. My travel stuff has gotten pretty extensive,,, the Tesla charger (which is used only when out of town) , 6-50, 14-50, 5-15 Tesla adapters,plus a L6-20 to 14-50 adapter , NEMA 6-20 to L6-20 , 50 ft extension cord with L6-20 , and a NEMA 10-30 to L6-20 adapter. I can charge almost anywhere there is 240v now.

HPWC is just too sexy and convenient of a solution to miss. If I ever need a J-plug in my garage, I'd be happy to pay just to get a secondary Clipper Creek 30A charger. Then again, there is no way I would buy anything else than a Tesla after my current ownership experience. Then next car will probably be a Model 3 to add to the S if a second car is needed.

- K