Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alpine IVA-NAV-10 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
One question I had was when an iPod is connected and the Alpine is in USB mode, how do you keep it from automatically playing the first song on the iPod? It doesn't seem to let you select what you want to hear first but just starts playing song 1 out of a few thousand on my iPod. Thanks.

Also, this unit seems to have many user interface issues. I've noticed when you're trying to select a song and you have the navigation going, it'll cut back to navigation when an event (a turn is approaching) and you have to start all over with your song selection.

I wonder if that happens if you've sync'ed the iPod to the computer since it was last connected to the Alpine? I've noted both behaviors on the Alpine -- plays where i last left off and plays the first song of all the songs on the iPod. I know sync'ing it resets the current song pointer so perhaps that's it? You could queue up the song on the iPod interface before plugging it into the Alpine.

I hate the Alpine - I've pretty much given up on it. :(

Thanks. It's actually an iPhone 4 but not sure if that makes any difference. It does seem to pick up where I left off in the playlist once I've selected a play list but resets at some point. Maybe it is after I sync it. Not that I know that, I'll try and pay closer attention.

I agree. I think for the money, they should have gone with the better reviewed Pioneer unit but maybe they have a deal struck with Alpine or something. There is a firmware update out but don't know if we can install it yet.

I'm thinking about the Sony XNV-770BT with TomTom navigation software. It seems strange that a $1000+ system such as the Alpine unit has a less useful navigation system that a $300 Garmin or TomTom unit.

Nothing worthwhile that I saw from the CES coverage to bother upgrading to since my car is brand new anyway. Guess I'll wait until CES 2012 and take another look at what Panasonic or Sony has at that point. I love my old TomTom unit so hope someone like Panasonic adopts the TomTom software as well.

I made new speed records with my Roadster. According to my Alpine, i achieved 360km/h in a Tunnel? when i was setting my cruise-control to 80km/h. It simple does not see, that there is no GPS at all and sends you no nowhere then solid rock.

Translation assistance in case someone needs it:

His GPS showed his speed as ~220MPH when he went through a tunnel because the GPS signal was blocked by the tunnel.

---

Related, on some cars when I drive through a downtown with tall buildings the GPS coordinates on the map start jumping around.
I guess some of the signals bounce and confuse the system into thinking your car suddenly moved somewhere else.

EU guys. there is both a firmware and a map update for the EU mounted Alpine system that is not at all the same as in the US. I asked my dealer (Zurich) to get the updates from Alpine so they can install them when I get my car in mid march. So if you ask them they should have everything for the update by then in their location.

/fb

I get sick of my ALPINE. if a radiostation gets weak, the tuner produce a lot of noise - it simple did not stop as i was used for all my recent NAV/Radio systems.
The Alpine technologie looks like to be more then 10 years old.
It rebooted several times within the 2-weeks. If i drive through a tunnels it loose sync.

Does someone has experience with alternative NAV-System? When i talked to Tesla, i got the answer, the old one (JVS) were even worse.

The short answer is, at least from tesla, the carbon fiber body interferes with the signal. I'm a little dubious about that though. Were you using the AM or FM band on the tuner? I've had experience with my 2011 2.5 of the motor causing interference as well through the power lines.

I have had the screen go blank several times as well, and it gives an error saying No Songs from my iPod touch requiring a reboot of my iPod.

I'm fishing for solutions for these problems:

1) You are traveling somewhere you are not entirely familiar. You are using the NAV. The screen shows the map and turn directions. You get a call on your bluetooth linked phone. The map goes away! I had to pull over and beg to get off the phone with my Dad right away. I was late and at an intersection, and I wasn't sure which way to go. I hung up on him, and waited for the map to return. Does anyone know a way around this "feature?"

2) The single DIN NAV only shows a small map. The double DIN NAV should show more. I usually like my screen scale set to around 1 mile (sometimes more). When I have the NAV set to a destination, with each decision point I reach, the NAV zooms into the maximum zoom. The map shows what is inches in front of may car, but I'd like to see what is a few yards ahead. I find myself constantly pressing the "-" button to zoom out so that I can see what is coming up on the map. Is there a way to limit what the maximum auto-zoom is, or even to turn off auto-zoom?

3) Don't listen to talk radio when getting a little help inside the city. Some systems have a setting with which you can adjust the verbosity of the NAV. Seriously, when moving through the city, I don't need the exact step by step. Can I shut her up without turning her off?

The single DIN NAV only shows a small map. The double DIN NAV should show more. I usually like my screen scale set to around 1 mile (sometimes more). When I have the NAV set to a destination, with each decision point I reach, the NAV zooms into the maximum zoom. The map shows what is inches in front of may car, but I'd like to see what is a few yards ahead. I find myself constantly pressing the "-" button to zoom out so that I can see what is coming up on the map. Is there a way to limit what the maximum auto-zoom is, or even to turn off auto-zoom?
There is a setting for this in the Navigation preferences. I changed it and have never had a problem since.