Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Mode - What is this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when i browsing thru a dealer website for thier tesla i came across a interesting pictures showing as "Factory Mode" in Speedo. anyone know what this is?
FactoryMode_0.jpg
FactoryMode_1.jpg
FactoryMode_2.jpg

Prior to Tesla giving consumers the ability to reset all the settings in the car, factory mode was used while the car was being assembled, tested, and prepped. This was because the car tends to save information like navigation destinations, radio stations, slacker information, etc. Factory mode turns off a lot of that so that a customer gets a clean interface when the car is delivered.

There are probably other elements, but that's the major one that's been discussed previously.

Prior to Tesla giving consumers the ability to reset all the settings in the car, factory mode was used while the car was being assembled, tested, and prepped. This was because the car tends to save information like navigation destinations, radio stations, slacker information, etc. Factory mode turns off a lot of that so that a customer gets a clean interface when the car is delivered.

Interestingly, my car was delivered with a bunch of stored charging locations in and around the factory, including Tesla's offices in Palo Alto. It was like that for a year or so then after a service visit or firmware update, all of those locations except the Fremont factory site were wiped. My own charging locations were all there, though. I was curious about why I was seeing all those sites when my car was new, and even more curious when just those specific ones vanished.

In case you or anyone else is considering purchasing this car, here are couple problems with the listing that I noticed:

ULTRA HIGH FIDELITY SOUND HD Radio -- this car doesn't have the Ultra High Fidelity Sound option. The cars with this option have the right-hand-side niche in the trunk blocked out by the subwoofer. Look at this image on their web site: http://coasttocoastimports.com/image-custom/463564-700-525.jpg. The right-hand-side has the access to the subfloor storage area, just like on the left-hand-side. The UHFS cars only have access from the left side. This is/was a $2.5K option.
Satellite Radio -- only available in the cars with UHFS
Hard Disk Drive Media Storage -- does this option even exist? Did I miss the memo?
OBECHE WOOD MATTE DECOR ACCENTS -- this is Obeche Gloss Decor. Costs the same, but different option nevertheless.
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL -- only cars with VIN ~54XXX and after have this feature

Love it when the dealers don't know what they're selling.

----
edit: changed fonts to more readable version

With "factory mode" showing on the dash, and nobody seeming to know how one would even get in to that mode, I'd be suspicious that those pictures were stolen from elsewhere as it seems unlikely the dealer could put it in to that mode themselves...

It's easy to check - the top pic shows it was taken Feb 9 and has 581 miles. Does that car seem to match that?

It seems to have the newer, borderless speedo that came in later software.