Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock & unlock wheels by touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To avoid steal wheels, my Tesla DS in Italy wrote me:
“In addition to the 5 nuts, each wheel of the Model S (70D) is provided by another nut connected to the wheel hub. Therefore, to remove a wheel, in addition to unscrew the 5 usual nuts, you should unlock the additional nut through a specific touch-screen button.”

I didn't found it on user manual.
Could someone tell me if is true?

My Model S 70D will be delivered late July

PS: I apologize for my poor English

Wheel stealing is commonplace everywhere!

My friend had his OEM rims/tires stolen from his nissan maxima years ago (the car was left on cinder blocks)

I had an integra with its wheels replaced by cinder blocks and the seats taken too! It was left <1 block from the Police station....I think we have some crooked cops ;>

this from the OP is interesting and the first I've heard but S' change constantly

I have not heard of wheels being unlocked via a touch screen.
The best you can do is get a key, which is a special set of 4 lugnuts that you need a key to open with.
In reality, that key offers very little protection. Wheel theives just break the key in about 5 minutes.
Long story short, you really can't do much about this problem. Yup totally sucks, especially for 21" wheel owners.

OP: I don't believe this option exists and I cannot envision how such a thing could be implementet except at substantial cost. I think what he is talking about is "Jack mode" where the auto leveling of the air suspension is disabled, which is important to do before changing wheels. This is done on the toch screen.