Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deleting inappropriate Supercharger recommendation from route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
O.K., maybe I missed it.

I have seen discussions of "insane" or "inappropriate" recommendations for Superchargers stops on a routing in order to alleviate "range anxiety". But when it is obvious that particular Supercharger stop is wrong, I need a way to delete it from the navigation route. The only obvious choice the software offers is "removal of all Superchargers" on the route. But I just want to remove one! How do I do that?

My routing seems to assume that I always need to top off at a local Supercharger at the beginning of my trip, when, in fact, I have a HPWC at home and could do so there and skip the first Supercharger recommendation. I guess I could charge to 100% and maybe it would skip that Supercharger recommendation, but it still doesn't answer my question.... how to remove only one from the listing.

Is this a beta software issue, or is this an ESO problem? :confused: (Equipment Superior to Operator)

Thanks.......

O.K., maybe I missed it.

I have seen discussions of "insane" or "inappropriate" recommendations for Superchargers stops on a routing in order to alleviate "range anxiety". But when it is obvious that particular Supercharger stop is wrong, I need a way to delete it from the navigation route. The only obvious choice the software offers is "removal of all Superchargers" on the route. But I just want to remove one! How do I do that?

My routing seems to assume that I always need to top off at a local Supercharger at the beginning of my trip, when, in fact, I have a HPWC at home and could do so there and skip the first Supercharger recommendation. I guess I could charge to 100% and maybe it would skip that Supercharger recommendation, but it still doesn't answer my question.... how to remove only one from the listing.

Is this a beta software issue, or is this an ESO problem? :confused: (Equipment Superior to Operator)

Thanks.......

Good point... I've regularly seen extra short charger stops. Would be nice to remove one and have it recalculate a better route!

I've turned it off for now. I was trying to route a trip and it wouldn't map it beyond the first Supercharger on the route even though I knew I didn't need the stop and didn't want to stop there. I couldn't figure out how to get it to actually route me to the final destination I entered because it would end at that first unnecessary Supercharger.

I've turned it off for now. I was trying to route a trip and it wouldn't map it beyond the first Supercharger on the route even though I knew I didn't need the stop and didn't want to stop there. I couldn't figure out how to get it to actually route me to the final destination I entered because it would end at that first unnecessary Supercharger.

"Remove all charging" (or however it's worded) wasn't available?

I use it on long trips to see an overview of my entire route, but then I cancel the navigation and pick the next Supercharger and navigate leg by leg. The system just doesn't work. Always adds unnecessary stops and each time you get out of the car and back in, the navigation is stuck and only shows 'calculating...'. How good is a navigation system that adds charging stops but then locks up each time you do a stop?

"Remove all charging" (or however it's worded) wasn't available?

To be honest, I just got frustrated and turned it off.

I was trying to plan a trip from Point A to Point B and there was a Supercharger station mid trip. I didn't need the Supercharger stop. The routing would only go from Point A to the Supercharger and wouldn't show me anything between the Supercharger and Point B so it was pretty much useless. I wanted to see the total trip miles and time but, as I say, could only see it to the Supercharger. Once I turned the feature off, it did my A to B route just fine.

I sent the following feedback message to Tesla after my 2,700 mile trip the past 2 weeks:

FlasherZ said:
I just took my family on a 2,700 mile trip over the past couple of weeks, from the St. Louis area to Orlando and back via superchargers. I had to drive an additional 500+ miles out of the way because of the lack of a supercharger in Paducah, KY, but that's another matter. :)

There really needs to be a change in the Supercharger routing logic, or perhaps a dialog box that asks before changing the route to another charging stop. On more than one occasion, I left after the car reported that I had enough to make it to the next charger, only to accelerate onto the freeway and have the navigation system try to re-route me *back* to the supercharger where I was just charging (because my Wh/mi increased during acceleration). This happened on my way from St. Louis to Orlando - I left Indianapolis, headed for Lexington, KY, only to have the system keep trying to have me turn around and go back to Indy (prior to Blue Ash opening).

The only way to fix this is to cancel your trip navigation and select the individual supercharger you are headed toward, touch "trips", then "remove all charging stops", which isn't very user friendly.

This would also allow me to skip a supercharger. The car uses a very conservative 20% buffer in planning, and if you can't make it to a supercharger with at least 20%, it will suggest the next one (or return you to the one you just charged at). For example, between Knoxville, TN and Lexington, KY is London, KY. We chose to charge fully while eating in Lexington (going there) and Knoxville (coming back), and skip London in both directions, but the car kept wanting me to stop at London because I was going to go to 15% instead of 20%. Again, the only workaround is to cancel navigation and select the specific charger, then remove all charge stops.

Another suggestion is to allow us to tweak that buffer... I feel very comfortable with using 15% instead of 20%...

Finally, I *really* need a way to tell the Tesla to avoid a route. On our way home, there was a fatality accident between Greenup, IL and Montrose, IL that caused the car to attempt a re-route via US 40 (having me exit in Casey, IL, and travel north on US 40). Unfortunately, when I exited, I found that US 40 was closed east of Casey and I had to turn around. However, the navigation system kept sticking to that route, wanting me to turn around time and time again. I needed a way to tell the system to avoid that road and recalculate.

Thanks for listening to the feedback - if there's a better place for this, let me know. I feel as if I can trust the navigation system a bit more than before (although I still can't believe that over a year later, Navigon still hasn't put the new I-70 bridge over the Mississippi River in its system), but there needs to be massive improvement on the interface. I find myself using Waze along with the Tesla, and many times chosing Waze over the Tesla navigation.

Reactions: pilotSteve
It's interesting how much "anxiety" is caused by "doing away with range anxiety" isn't it? I wonder if Mr. Musk actually uses his navigation system.... I posit that if he did, this would have been fixed a long time ago. At least I am not alone in this.

I hope someone reads FlasherZ's feedback.

I use it on long trips to see an overview of my entire route, but then I cancel the navigation and pick the next Supercharger and navigate leg by leg. The system just doesn't work. Always adds unnecessary stops and each time you get out of the car and back in, the navigation is stuck and only shows 'calculating...'. How good is a navigation system that adds charging stops but then locks up each time you do a stop?
I use exactly the same method after some frustrating experimenting.

I use exactly the same method after some frustrating experimenting.
+1 same for me , either has me going to too many stops or does this weird routing which i know is way long than the normal route I drive to socal. So now i just plug into to the next SC stop i know i will need to hit. knowing the limitations I can go from 5 to 2 SC's if i fully charge at home before the trip.

With a full charge it wants me to hit a SC 60 miles into the trip. I think the calculation algorithm is so weak it just makes the decision to hit every SC along the route!

+1 on all of the answers, at least, regarding the fact that the algorithm (if you could call it that) which Tesla uses is weak, but no one has answered my original question... how to delete a single (or more if needed) Supercharger from the suggested Supercharger listing? My conclusion is that it cannot be done. :confused:.

Guess I have to keep my iPhone or iPad to use Waze for navigation, and use EVTrip Planner (written by an teenager who has not even entered college yet) to calculate refueling stops. I guess one day Tesla will get it right..... The kid who programmed EVTrip Planner asks for donations toward his college fund, maybe Tesla should buy his program and send a promising, deserving, smart young kid to college - maybe even offer him a job! Thanks for the feedback guys. :wink:

It's interesting how much "anxiety" is caused by "doing away with range anxiety" isn't it? I wonder if Mr. Musk actually uses his navigation system.... I posit that if he did, this would have been fixed a long time ago. At least I am not alone in this.

I hope someone reads FlasherZ's feedback.

It could also be that, like others components of the car, the software works amazingly well within California :wink:

Guess I have to keep my iPhone or iPad to use Waze for navigation, and use EVTrip Planner (written by an teenager who has not even entered college yet) to calculate refueling stops. I guess one day Tesla will get it right..... The kid who programmed EVTrip Planner asks for donations toward his college fund, maybe Tesla should buy his program and send a promising, deserving, smart young kid to college - maybe even offer him a job! Thanks for the feedback guys.

My thoughts exactly. The kid did a remarkable job, consequently it is my first step in planning each long distance route. Think of what he could do if integrated directly into Tesla's Nav Dept.

Guess I have to keep my iPhone or iPad to use Waze for navigation, and use EVTrip Planner (written by an teenager who has not even entered college yet) to calculate refueling stops. I guess one day Tesla will get it right..... The kid who programmed EVTrip Planner asks for donations toward his college fund, maybe Tesla should buy his program and send a promising, deserving, smart young kid to college - maybe even offer him a job! Thanks for the feedback guys. :wink:

I agree completely. EV Trip Planner works very well. It would be fantastic if Tesla would buy the code from the teenager who developed EV Trip Planner so it can be integrated into Tesla's Nav system.

Strange, I thought the planner looked at the route and take the current actual charge of the batteries into account. If you are near empty then it will send you to a nearby supercharger first. If you are fully charged skip you can skip the first supercharger. I would have thought that would not be too difficult to programme.

Strange, I thought the planner looked at the route and take the current actual charge of the batteries into account. If you are near empty then it will send you to a nearby supercharger first. If you are fully charged skip you can skip the first supercharger. I would have thought that would not be too difficult to programme.

Last Saturday I was in Paris (about 90 miles from home) with 160+ miles of rated range left. Selecting home as my destination, it routed to the Ardmore SC 135 miles away (and another 100 miles from home). After removing all charging stops, it still didn't route using the shortest way.

Exactly what I did on my recent trip to Fremont. I also had the 'calculating...' problem.

I have yet to take my first long trip in the S and this seems to be the best way mentioned thus far for avoiding the described frustrations. I will keep it mind for future use. Thanks.