Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
New Ford Focus design looks good to me.
Will Ford's Electric Car Strategy Succeed?
2012-Ford-Focus-electric-photo-011.jpg

2012-Ford-Focus-electric-photo-012.jpg

ford-new-focus-photo-09.jpg

ford-new-focus-photo-07.jpg

Last edited:
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/2011-ford-focus-electric-ces-unveiled/

01-ford-focus-electric-ces-live-1294411049.jpg

05-ford-focus-electric-ces-live-1294410720.jpg

Visually, the Focus Electric has an improved aerodynamics package to improve drag, incorporating a new front fascia that looks like something right out of the Aston Martin school of design. (Too bad this isn't the Cygnet, huh?) The only other major design changes are the addition of a charging port with an LED ring to the left of the driver's door and a new set of 15-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels wrapped in low-rolling resistance tires. And speaking of LEDs, while the gasoline-powered Focus' LED eyebrow above the headlamp is only available in Europe, Ford tells us that the North American-spec Focus Electric will wear this bit of accent lighting when it hits production.

From the Ford press release:

"More than any other electric vehicle on the market, Focus Electric loses none of the dynamics and quality of driving a traditional car," said Sherif Marakby, director of Ford's electrification programs and engineering. "It shares many of the same premium components and features as its gasoline-powered counterpart, while delivering distinct efficiencies and a uniquely exciting driving experience."

Coming fresh from the Model S videos, I think this shows either a short-sightedness in the ways an EV can be made *better* than gasoline-powered counterparts, or an intentional PR stance to try to slowly bring the masses into the fold of EVs (i.e. by not scaring them off, see the Volt's "more car than electric" tag).

The other reality is lowering cost- and time-to-market for traditional automakers by not building their first EVs ground-up from scratch. Chevy kind of does this with the Volt and Cruze relationship, though at least they market the two completely separately. And arguably, Tesla did something similar with the Roadster (drawing from Lotus chassis design and components).

But hey, at least they're jumping into the fray. The more the merrier IMO...

Did they announce a price?

It seems it has 6.6kW J1772 charging (2x the current 3.3kW leaf), but no provision for level 3 quick charge.

(I expect Leaf will get 6.6kW also when they update the models that come from their new USA factory.)

Last edited:
I would expect Tesla would want a bit more range, performance, and style out of even their entry level model.
No knock on Ford, but I would be a tad disappointed if Tesla offered something just like that.

The huge "bump" in the floor of the cargo space is awful. I think that (and the lack of DC fast charge) hugely hamper the Ford Focus EV versus the Leaf. On the other hand, active thermal management looks like a great positive over the Leaf. Overall I am unexicted by both, and await Model S.

Are there pictures of this bump? I must have missed them.

EDIT: OK found one

FocusElectric_39_HR_1.jpg

That's not good. In fact I think that is worse than the prototype they had at Frankfurt 2009.

This is the old one:

ford_focusEV_edrive_ghost.jpg

Not sure why they don't bring the battery forward a bit.

I find it interesting how both this and the Leaf have their electronics under hood (bonnet) arranged in such way that they resemble an ICE. I wonder how much room could have been saved by a more efficient packaging. I also wonder if the "battery hump" design is such to remind the customer the car has a "big battery"...

I was kind of excited for the Focus, but it seems they made some pretty bad packaging decisions. And them contracting most of the engineering out to third parties will likely mean its base price is higher than the Leaf.

Seems like they did the same design has the MINI-E & their previous Focus FCV, having the pack take up the trunk (or the back seat in the MINI-E's case). That design is okay for a rough prototype, but not for a production vehicle. Hopefully they still have time to change the design (assuming the platform allows for it, which if it doesn't would show the major disadvantage of not doing a ground-up design or at least a design with major changes to the chassis like Tesla did).

minie_trunk.jpg

ford_fcv.jpg

I like the way this charging port opens. Any idea what the four quadrants of blue LEDs are supposed to indicate?

Not blue LEDs, but 4 arcs of white LEDs with gaps in between.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/2011-ford-focus-electric-ces-unveiled/
...When the cord set connector is plugged into the vehicle's charge port, which is conveniently located between the driver's door and front wheel well, it activates a light ring that loops around the port twice in acknowledgement of connectivity. The light ring then illuminates in quadrants as the vehicle charges. Flashing quadrants represent charge in progress and solid-lit quadrants show stages of charge completion. In the unlikely event of a fault, the entire ring will flash. When the entire ring is solidly lit, the vehicle is fully charged...

50% charged:
5343136252_d9f2cf35e3_z.jpg

Last edited: