Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expanding UK Supercharger sites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We’ve Got You Covered

Expanding the UK Supercharger Network

June 17, 2015
Tesla’s UK Supercharger network continues growing to enable routes to the West of Scotland and Eastern England. Seven Supercharger stations will be added at motorway services with additional UK motorway locations in the works to be announced soon. The Supercharger network extends across Europe as well, so Model S drivers can drive from Edinburgh to Venice or from Tenby to Trieste.
In just one year, Tesla Superchargers throughout the United Kingdom have powered more than two million electric miles. Starting with the first Tesla supercharger location in Royal Victoria Docks, London, there are now 68 Superchargers at 22 Supercharger stations across the country. They have enabled Model S drivers to save more than 350,000 litres of petrol and 1,000 tons of CO2.
With a range of up to 310 miles and Tesla’s worldwide fast charging network, Model S makes road trips a pleasure. Supercharging is free for long distance travel on any properly equipped Model S and provides half a charge in as little as 20 minutes. New UK supercharging stations will be conveniently located on motorways. Existing Superchargers are on major routes near amenities like hotels, business parks and restaurants to allow travellers to stop for a quick meal or coffee break.
Building a dense network of charging solutions is just one of the ways Tesla is proving the benefits of owning a Model S, whether the road takes you to Loch Lomond or Ljubljana.

Tesla and Ecotricity have settled out of court, so I would expect to see a lot of superchargers at motorway service stations reasonably quickly.

South Mimms and Hopwood Park will finally get commissioned, but no idea where the other 5 are as yet...

Curious that they say "East of England" and "New superchargers will be conveniently located on Motorways". We don't have many motorways in the East of England, and the one we have got (M11) doesn't have any formal service areas. Ecotricity also don't have any charging here either, apart from the "Cambridge Services".

I'll put £7.50 on the Extra Services at Peterborough.

Completely agree! A1 opened up as an alternative to the M1 when it gets clogged, and logical route if coming from down here to the Euro tunnel.

Is it enough for me to agree to pay for Supercharging, which to date has been better off in my pocket... tough decision.

I'm still torn, I'm two years before swapping, and not having it has not caused me a single problem I couldn't resolve by using my ICE instead, so for 2 trips a year the sums don't work out.

So did I at first, which is why I posted in here but quickly deleted again. You quoted me before I deleted it.

No idea about the stalls thing though...
Problem solved! The Calais SuperCharger seems to be upgraded to 4 permanent stalls. That's what seems to be happening.

The roundabout is also LHD orientated, so this seems to be in France.

Tesla and Ecotricity have settled out of court, so I would expect to see a lot of superchargers at motorway service stations reasonably quickly.

South Mimms and Hopwood Park will finally get commissioned, but no idea where the other 5 are as yet...

I think it was that for sure, but a bit more too.
Ecotricity invested in charging stations at many Motorway services with an exclusivity period to help them recover the cost of their forward looking investment.
Tesla not unreasonably said it was anti-competitive to prevent them installing their much higher spec'd Superchargers.

At the end of the day sense has prevailed to the benefit of all EV owners.
And it's not often that happens these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Where's the best and most up to date UK supercharger map?

The Calais SC seems to be confusing people because it is so unannounced. From what I can tell you have the current 2 SCs at Coquelles outside terminal, but now there are 4 new SCs built, but not powered at the Calais terminal / duty free / waiting area.

Also, people are surmising that some groundworks at UK side of Eurotunnel is for SCs (or maybe DBT Chademo).

The Calais SC seems to be confusing people because it is so unannounced. From what I can tell you have the current 2 SCs at Coquelles outside terminal, but now there are 4 new SCs built, but not powered at the Calais terminal / duty free / waiting area.

Also, people are surmising that some groundworks at UK side of Eurotunnel is for SCs (or maybe DBT Chademo).

Yes it appears that in addition to the existing Calais supercharger site (which has 2 bays live as well as planned space for 4 more), an entirely new SC site is being installed inside the Calais Eurotunnel Terminal, with 4 SC bays (and 2 x DBT chargers).

I've also seen a photo of some groundworks in the car park at the Folkestone Eurotunnel Terminal but they don't look like they're for a supercharger (or any kind of charger) to me. There are no cable ducts for a start.

Where's the best and most up to date UK supercharger map?

Arguably the one in the car ;) In theory it should also know which ones are in use and route you optimally. (Though without wanting to further bash the sat nav more, without way points it's still fallible :( )

In a perfect world we shouldn't need to know, and just be able to drive anywhere safe in the knowledge we are never outside range of one. In other words exactly the same way as I've never needed a complete map of the UK's petrol stations ;) :D

Hopwood Park M42 j2 is being installed currently

Hopwood is being commission, I will let you know when it is online.

Can everyone keep this post updated as new sites are being installed?

Great news for Tesla Owners

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 191