Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardtop headliner sag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched, but couldn't find any info about this:

The felt headliner of my hardtop is starting to separate and sag on both sides close to where it meets the windows. Anyone else had this problem before? Is there an easy fix?

We had this problem on our CPO Sig#40.

We are still under warranty, so we just brought it into the service center and they fixed it. They had to outsource it to someone who does interiors, but it was taken care of.

One alternative I have used in the past is to remove the old headliner and just use a black spray on truck bedliner. The look is very similar, and it will literally last forever. It is slightly louder when it rains, but not much. I personally didn't notice a difference in the temp due to the loss of insulation either.

My headliner is pulling away in 2 areas. Any recommendations for an auto interior/trim shop in the Washington, DC area?

I just used Lim's Custom Top & Upholstery to reupholster my DEET - ruined seat; they did a very nice job. Since it's in their name, I'm sure they can help with your top. They were recommended to me by Michael, the Service Advisor at Tyco Tesla. Plus they're conveniently across the street from the SC, at 8455-I Tyco Road. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Just to let those know who might have a damaged seat covering, there's a seller on ebay who is selling two of them in the black and dark brown combination is seems. $200 obo a piece. From the looks of it they might be the original from Tesla.

Seats Covers Tesla Original Leather 2 Tone Front Rear | eBay

One issue I see is in the pic below the left one has a fold / crease in the leather which may not come out. However there's two sets so there may be one that's perfect as a set:

s-l1600.jpg

The headliner in my hard top is sagging now, any updated recommendations on how to fix it? Will Tesla fix it under good will?

I have the same issue with my hardtop headliner. I have not reached out to Tesla about it, but I was thinking of dong a DIY replacement job with a starry galaxy fabric. Since it is a small surface area with just a few sharp curves it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours when the old headliner is removed. 3M makes some pretty good adhesives like this one. You can get creative with the pattern options.

Many of us have gone through the sagging headliner issue. As stated above, a decent auto upholstery place will have no problem with this. Had mine done a few years ago for a few hundred. Came out great. No problems since.