Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Southern Supercharger "Arc of Doom"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, have y'all noticed that there is a group of superchargers missing such that any single one inserted into the area would help stitch things together. The combination of no Augusta, GA/Greenville, SC/Asheville, NC/Johnson City, TN/Wythesville, VA superchargers makes getting from anywhere in the south to anywhere else in the south a challenge. Columbia, SC and Commerce, GA get an honorable mention in this too. I'm hoping to see some action on this pretty soon. What do y'all think?

Southern_Arc_Of_Doom.jpg

Greenville, SC had a supercharger more than 50% complete a year ago May until some lawsuit tied it up. This "Arc" is really getting in a lot of people's way. I'm disappointed that Tesla hasn't added one somewhere in there. That's my only negative comment on Tesla. I just love my car - which is why I'd like to be able to drive it long distances! It's really frustrating. Our most recent road trip was a disaster as the CHAdeMO charger we'd planned on using in Greenville was down. We lost an unbelievable amount of time after loads of planning.

While nowhere near the same, haven't there been HPWC Destination Chargers put within the ARC? I thought I read of a Japanese restaurant getting one near Asheville. Plus there is the other forum member who is thinking of getting one put in at his business once his P85D is delivered (that he considered cancelling for a CPO instead to "save face", where we all shared out thoughts on it and he's keeping the P85D and investing in more EVs for the business).

"that he considered cancelling for a CPO instead to "save face""

Sorry - feeling kinda dumb - what is a CPO please?
Certified Pre-Owned. Basically, he was worried his employees and neighbors would look negatively on him for having a "lavish" expense. On the forums, we told him that a) they shouldn't care, b) it's not crazy expensive when you look at total cost of ownership including "fuel" (compared to other vehicles), and c) nobody who would be offended could tell the different between a two year old Tesla and the top of the line over $100k new one. If they were going to look at him negatively about the car, it wouldn't matter if it was new or used as all they will see is a over $100k car. Those of us who could tell the difference wouldn't care and would actually be excited for him.

I've actually been eyeing this area, especially I-81 through VA, for a while now. There weren't even any supercharger dots on the projected map until recently.

Missing supercharger routes? (End of 2015))

Superchargers in VA - Page 36

Hope they get on this because every time I have to take I-95 through VA for my NC<->NJ trips I curse Tesla a little for not being able to take I-81 instead (like I used to in my previous vehicles...)

Yes, our periodic trip from Cleveland OH to western North Carolina had to be made in the wife's Prius. West Virginia and western Virginia are still problematic. We couldn't spare the extra time to make the existing SpC structure work. Maybe next time.

Greenville, Asheville, and Augusta would all be useful places for SuperChargers.
But the central one, Greenville is certainly key. It allows easier access from Eastern NC, GA, TN and VA to everywhere. Plus it is an Automotive center with major presences of BMW and Michelin Tire.
It would be great if they redoubled their efforts to find a suitable site and get one up fast.

So, have y'all noticed that there is a group of superchargers missing such that any single one inserted into the area would help stitch things together. The combination of no Augusta, GA/Greenville, SC/Asheville, NC/Johnson City, TN/Wythesville, VA superchargers makes getting from anywhere in the south to anywhere else in the south a challenge. Columbia, SC and Commerce, GA get an honorable mention in this too. I'm hoping to see some action on this pretty soon. What do y'all think?
Agreed. We've moved past irritating well into ridiculous months ago. Some folks are saying they've done the Atlanta to Charlotte trek by taking it easy on the go pedal, but as far as I know those were all 19" wheel owners. I've got 21's and would love to visit my cousins in Charlotte with the car, but not if I have to draft semis or roll in the slow lane at 55-60. Planning a trip to Asheville to see Bruce Hornsby at the Biltmore in a couple months which would be an absolute breeze and very little charging time if Greenville was up... Now it's an hour at commerce, at an RV park, or one of the B&B's that are along the route. Not having a SC to hit along a route always brings the inevitable "why don't we just take my car?" from my GF... negative!! :cursing:

Last edited:
Agreed. We've moved past irritating well into ridiculous months ago. Some folks are saying they've done the Atlanta to Charlotte trek by taking it easy on the go pedal, but as far as I know those were all 19" wheel owners. I've got 21's and would love to visit my cousins in Charlotte with the car, but not if I have to draft semis or roll in the slow lane at 55-60. Planning a trip to Asheville to see Bruce Hornsby at the Biltmore in a couple months which would be an absolute breeze and very little charging time if Greenville was up... Now it's an hour at commerce, at an RV park, or one of the B&B's that are along the route. Not having a SC to hit along a route always brings the inevitable "why don't we just take my car?" from my GF... negative!! :cursing:

I did it in my P85D with 21" wheels last month. 65 MPH (which is the speed limit for quite a bit of the trip) - had 10 miles Range remaining when I arrived. (See my summary here.) The obvious drawback is you have to Range Charge - if you start from home not that big of a deal but Range Charging at a Supercharger means sitting there for 1 hour and 20 - 30 minutes.

I would not attempt it in bad (or cold) weather without stopping for a few miles charge somewhere.

Mike

Last edited:
My girlfriend just declared that we need to go on a trip to Myrtle Beach. I made the mistake of saying we'd have to spend a few hours at the Tanger Outlets in Commerce since I only have a 70D and can't make it from home even on a range charge.

She then said we absolutely HAVE to go because it guarantees her several hours of shopping time at the outlet mall both directions...HELP ME TESLA!

My girlfriend just declared that we need to go on a trip to Myrtle Beach. I made the mistake of saying we'd have to spend a few hours at the Tanger Outlets in Commerce since I only have a 70D and can't make it from home even on a range charge.

She then said we absolutely HAVE to go because it guarantees her several hours of shopping time at the outlet mall both directions...HELP ME TESLA!

Maybe, if the Tesla Gods are good to you and the stars align, you could take your car in for some sort of "service", and lo and behold you get an 85 as a loaner.
Any 85 would do, but if you want to avoid the shopping time (and ensuing costs), drive it like you need it to make it all the way on a single charge.
Be sure to set the Nav so it avoids Commerce.

"Whoops, just following Nav's directions..."

Best of Luck.

View attachment 84356

Oh, I have definitely noticed it! I just drove my kids to camp from New Orleans to Hendersonville, NC for camp. Had to take my old ICE. I told the kids I would try to pick them up in the Tesla, but I just don't see how it's doable, unless I want to rely on HWPCs that might be occupied. And entertaining kids for a couple of hours while the car charges is never much fun. If they would only open the Greenville, SC supercharger, we would be golden (Asheville would be nice too!) At what point do they just abandon the current Greenville site and find a new one?

I did it in my P85D with 21" wheels last month. 65 MPH (which is the speed limit for quite a bit of the trip) - had 10 miles Range remaining when I arrived. (See my summary here.) The obvious drawback is you have to Range Charge - if you start from home not that big of a deal but Range Charging at a Supercharger means sitting there for 1 hour and 20 - 30 minutes.

I would not attempt it in bad (or cold) weather without stopping for a few miles charge somewhere.

Mike

Good deal! Thanks!