Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with RHD accelerator position.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Right Hand Drive Model S there is a hard piece of trim next to the accelerator (see photo).

IMG_3850.JPG

When one floors the accelerator wearing shoes with an "edge", that edge will get stuck under the trim (see photo 2).

IMG_3852.JPG

and one will head for the horizon at a great speed - BEWARE!

In the Right Hand Drive Model S there is a hard piece of trim next to the accelerator (see photo).

View attachment 84347

When one floors the accelerator wearing shoes with an "edge", that edge will get stuck under the trim (see photo 2).

View attachment 84349

and one will head for the horizon at a great speed - BEWARE!
That should be grounds for a recall. I remember Toyota recalled cars for fear the driver's mat could curl up under the brake pedal or something

I've never even come close to snagging my foot on anything in the Tesla, in fact it has soooo much more space than other cars that I've owned.

After seeing the pic above I took one of my own without the foot in it to show just how much room there is. Are your cars different?

IMG_2142.jpg

You can see that the pedal arm doesn't drop vertically, it's skewed to the left to clear the wheel arch intrusion. If it had been able to drop vertically then that would be the natural position for my right foot. As it is now my foot sits between the piece of trim and the right edge of the pedal. It isn't a big problem, the main problem is that I'd prefer some space to the right pf the pedal for my foot when the cruise control is on and there isn't enough space. Again not a huge problem, a minor irritation that I'm happy to endure in return for the safety of a rigid strong body structure

As I said above, I have no problem and this is the first I hear about it. However a solution to the shoe catching would be to get some black cloth backed duct tape and seal the area between carpet and plastic trim. The floor mat should cover most of the tape and you most likely will not see a thing.

Earlier this month, I rented an older (LHD) Tesla Model S in California and noticed that there wasn't enough room between the brake and the wall for me to put my great foot on the accelerator without getting it jammed under the brake.
Model S must be made for those with genteel feet.

At the showroom this morning, I noticed that Tesla is now offering rubber floor mats. These are moulded with a well. The sides rise up presumably to contain water from say snow melt. However, these may be a solution for you as I think they cover the join by design.

Gudday Raynewman

I have tried to duplicate the effect you described but no luck. I have a size 11 shoe and spend much of my time with the pedal hard down :scared:. Adrenaline is a great thing!. I wonder if the side kick panel is misaligned.? I will quiz the service guys in Richmond today as I am heading off now to get new Boots! 17k kms has seen the rears deteriorate dramatically over the past 1000Kms. Even traction control cant hang on to it.!