Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increasingly difficult not to harbor INTENSE resentment.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
I REALLY REALLY hope things shift soon.... I'm finding it more and more difficult to be cordial with fossil fuel addicts..... :cursing:

“Never have we mistreated and offended our common home as we have in the last two centuries” - Pope Francis

I REALLY REALLY hope things shift soon.... I'm finding it more and more difficult to be cordial with fossil fuel addicts..... :cursing:

“Never have we mistreated and offended our common home as we have in the last two centuries” - Pope Francis

I think the shift is happening as we speak. It starts a bit slow, but when it picks up the pace it's going to be like an avalanche. People tend to overestimate how much will change or come to take place in the year to come, but severely underestimate how much things will change in the next 10 years to come.

Solar, stationary storage, green technologies. The fossil fuel industry won't know what hit them. They should have been smart enough to see it coming, but they are too emotionally attached to their oil/coal/gas and even if the have a plan to devest and unwind their industry it's going to be too little, too late (for them). But I'm optimistic. In a wider sense though I'm still very worried, since we (humanity) may be a bit late, and that global warming and other important associated environmental effects may be in self-reinforcing positive feed-back loops that keep going even after we stop adding so much CO2 to the atmosphere. My personal hope here is new technologies for active reversal of these climate effects that are under development or can be developed.

Have you had a chance to read the encyclical? I tried.... Non riesco a leggier italiane

I'll just have to wait 'till Thursday....

Here people don't read too much the encyclical. Imagine that the electric FIAT 500, which is sold in the USA, is not sold in Italy. Marchionne (FIAT CEO) considers the electric FIAT 500 a waste of money.......

- - - Updated - - -

Would like Hawaii Government to govern in Italy for some years to issue laws like that mentioned in the above link.

I drive a Volt which still uses a little bit of gas on road trips and such. I completely agree with the OP, and dont understand people that use gas on a daily basis. And they look at me like I am crazy when I say that my car is better than most everything out there because it doesnt burn gas!

I don't understand why people get so upset about fossil fuels and the transition to renewables.

Solar and wind are gaining ground exponentially and most new capacity is not only renewable, but economically viable. The worlds 4th largest economy went from 0% solar to about 8% in a matter of a few years with almost zero effort. The best performing personal transport vehicles are pure electric and already ON THE ROAD. Most logical humans are on board and progress looks to be coming MUCH faster than we thought possible only 10-15 years ago.

Hell, the Pope just said oil needs to go. What's with all the doom and gloom?

Because such a transition is late.

VERY late; We're winning a few battles but still losing the war. My pessimism and anger stem from....

- Still the ONLY person in my pathetic town with solar PV OR an EV.
- Only ~1% of the people where I work have solar (IN NM!!!!!! 2x the sun of Germany!!!!) ... PLUS... I'd be the ONLY one if I hadn't installed the others.
- ~70% of the vehicles used for commuting where I work are trucks.... beyond pathetic.

It doesn't help that I see this everyday....

mb01_jd_27apr_2hobbs-400x255.jpg

The transition to renewables is inevitable... but it's looking more and more like that transition is going to happen FAR FAR too late for the simple reason the people are terrible.

I keep asking the people at my work why they drive trucks as daily drivers. All I get is "I love my truck". I need a truck. Its way better than a sedan.

Yea, except for the 15 mpg. They dont care. Cost of gas doesnt factor into their budget.

Then what would you do if you lived in Italy?
Here when I mention the fact that we should get rid of fossil fuels people look at me as if I came from Mars......

I remember when international flights became non-smoking. But my flight had a stopover in Italy and the pilot said "due to Italian law this flight has to be a smoking flight when in Italian airspace!"
Is it still that way? (My flight was in the 1990s)

[ Comment meant to provide some confirmation that Italians may be slow to accept international sentiments towards emissions restrictions. ]

Searching on such rules, I found this:
AIRLINE NEWS
"03/12/97 United Airlines will go completely smokeless, including flights to Asia, as of July 1, 1997. United currently bans smoking on flights across the Atlantic and within Europe (except between Washington Dulles International Airport and Milan, Italy). United also bans smoking on trans-Pacific flights and those within Asia except certain flights to Tokyo."

I wonder what is so special about the flight between Milan and Washington, DC that it would be the lone exception to their non-smoking policy. Some rather influential chain smoker must have used that route.

I guess lighting up in the lavatory is a slap-on-the-wrist type offense:
Wanna smoke in the toilets? Come to Italy! It's cheap! - PPRuNe Forums

Last edited:
VERY late; We're winning a few battles but still losing the war. My pessimism and anger stem from....

- Still the ONLY person in my pathetic town with solar PV OR an EV.
- Only ~1% of the people where I work have solar (IN NM!!!!!! 2x the sun of Germany!!!!) ... PLUS... I'd be the ONLY one if I hadn't installed the others.
- ~70% of the vehicles used for commuting where I work are trucks.... beyond pathetic.

It doesn't help that I see this everyday....

View attachment 84351

The transition to renewables is inevitable... but it's looking more and more like that transition is going to happen FAR FAR too late for the simple reason the people are terrible.

Hard to be angry at that though. Many people are focused on their day to day lives and getting by. EVs are expensive and solar tends to be as well (around here anyway). If folks are struggling to pay bills or just living comfortably, chances are they aren't going to be splurging on an EV or solar unless they have a personal reason (conviction) to do so.

Hard to be angry at that though. Many people are focused on their day to day lives and getting by. EVs are expensive and solar tends to be as well (around here anyway). If folks are struggling to pay bills or just living comfortably, chances are they aren't going to be splurging on an EV or solar unless they have a personal reason (conviction) to do so.

That's kinda the thing ain't it? Folks 'round here ain't 'struggling'; They just prefer the rumble of their Ferd F-Teen-fifty... screw everyone else. It's pathetic.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Yea, except for the 15 mpg. They dont care. Cost of gas doesnt factor into their budget.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]One of the sad lessons I've learned is that available alternatives isn't enough. People need to become uncomfortable with the status quo.[/FONT]

Well in those cases their ride is part of their identity. It's more about the rumble and power than killing the environment. Again, kinda hard to fault 'em for doing what they like. There's a LOT of things we ALL do that we could cut back on or change to better something or another. F150 guy could be an animal-lover spending weekends picking up stray cats to get them spayed.

Crazy, I know, I'm just saying we shouldn't assume folks are out to do harm when it just might be that they aren't aware or don't care enough to change.