Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 7 series bimmer v Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting video -
NEW 2016 BMW 7 Series Review - YouTube

Other than the obvious ICE vs EV debate, few things,

1. Tesla I still feel is more hitech. If you like technology, Tesla still wins. The gesture thing I feel is gimmicky.
2. Headlights on BMW are better.
3. The interiors of BMW are FAR better.
4. Tesla is more practical (more carrying capacity).
5. BMW is more $ than Tesla.
6. Model S looks sexier. 7 series looks like a dowdy old mans car.

What do you think of the 7 series vs Model S?

Last edited:
Interesting video -
NEW 2016 BMW 7 Series Review - YouTube

Other than the obvious ICE vs EV debate, few things,

1. Tesla I still feel is more hitech. If you like technology, Tesla still wins. The gesture thing I feel is gimmicky.
2. Headlights on BMW are better.
3. The interiors of BMW are FAR better.
4. Tesla is more practical (more carrying capacity).
5. BMW is more $ than Tesla.

What do you think of the 7 series vs Model S?

Why do you think the Model S is more hitech?

Curious what u mean by better headlights. Better looling, better output? Never have I seen any headlight create such a perfect line that will cut any pedestrian right at the knees.

The laser headlights offer much better visibility and don't blind the oncoming drivers. Model S xenon auto headlights aren't bad, but laser headlights are awesome. I've tried them in an Audi. Though I think they are still not legal in the U.S. (At least they weren't last year. Which is why the i8 in the U.S. has xenon). The LED headlights on Acura are crappy btw.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think the Model S is more hitech?

Bigger screen, always connected, slacker radio, autopilot, updating over air, remote diagnostics etc. tech toys.

Heads up display
Top and side view camera
Ventilated seats
Soft close doors
Rear entertainment systems
Night vision with pedestrian detection

I know this is a Tesla forum, but you're completely discounting BMW.

Ventilated seats and soft close doors are under better interior.
But yes, the rest are technology.

Its a a toss up really. But for my money I prefer the tech in Tesla.

One more thing. The BMW dealer close to me is a dickhead. I went there to test drive an m6. My usual style, stained shorts, unshaven. They didn't bother attending to me. LOL.

The tesla guys, they chatted with me tirelessly for 2 hours on a Saturday evening telling me everything about the car at the tyco center location.

My question was not meant in a snotty way. I love my Tesla and I am not a fan of BMW in any way but I do not feel that the Model S is more hitech than the 7 series. I feel exact opposite. Tesla is getting there but they are years behind other high end cars in techy stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

My usual style, stained shorts, unshaven.LOL.

Nice!

I am surprised that an M guy bought a yawnfest of a 70D.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the BMW video, is anyone really impressed that you can back your car out of the garage with the remote?........whupity friggin do. Even when Tesla's are able to this I will not use it.....I love driving my Tesla and these driverless features do not impress me at all.

Douglas, I didn't think you were being snotty :)

m6 vs 70d, I'm weird that way. I do a shipload of research before making big purchases. I was pretty sure I wanted an eco friendly car, and 0-60 in hella fast was not important to me. Ride quality, tech toys, and reliability were my top concerns. I drove everything I could practically speaking, even if it was just to cross it off the list. The M6 was nice, but the dealer attitude and gas guzzler part pretty much killed it for me. I didn't even bother test driving it when 10 mins at the bmw dealership they just thought it was cool to see me wait.

My top two picks were a 2 year old sl550 or a new tesla. Tesla won on eco stuff. I like being nice to our planet. I will miss those massaging seats though

High tech?

Sure, in line with:
roush_horse_trainer.jpg

hummer_h2_horse_carriage_image_3.jpg

Nice video. If you want to watch the original version from BMW, which has noticeably superior picture and sound quality (and not the hijacked, recompressed and reposted version posted above), here it is -
The all-new BMW 7 Series. All you need to know. - YouTube

The BMW 7 series is obviously aiming itself at a different market. BMW knows their car can't beat the Model S at what the Model S does, so they gotta find some other features to differentiate it. They have to find buyers who will say "well... I'm going to do without the Tesla for now, I really want this other feature that the BMW has." In this video they basically skip over the conventional/traditional engine & drivetrain, compared to the time they spend on interior luxury features, which no doubt beat the Model S.

Headlights was never a reason to select one car over another.

The display and controlling the car seems just as behind the lead as it has been before, even with "gesturing." How may drivers or front-seat passengers will accidentally trigger car controls while talking with their hands? I talk with my hands. Fortunately my Model S doesn't accidentally open its sunroof during a rainstorm just 'cos of something I was saying. If BMW owners disable these gesturing controls... the designers have failed, and research and development was all a waste of time - but the owners still paid for it anyway. BMW doesn't know how to convey its technology to customers. The Tesla just has "software" running the car. BMW bombards you with technological monikers like Traffic Jam Assistant, Executive Drive Pro and so on. Talk about useless bells and whistles.

The reason you choose Tesla Model S over other cars is that it is a massive technological change over conventional cars. It also has zero CO2 emissions (not 49g/km like their most economical variant), and it's still fast, quiet, comfortable and capacious. I mean, look at the things they're saying are unique about the 7-series - it automatically drives itself into the garage or tight spaces? What percentage of the purchasers of this $90K+ car are putting it into a tight space on a regular basis and have always been looking forward to that feature? This car is an incremental improvement over the previous year's model.

Oh, and the final reason I wouldn't buy this? I live in Texas, and I can't be bothered importing it directly from BMW in Germany. State Law says I have to buy it from a member of the Texas Auto Dealers Association, which has a State-sanctioned monopoly.