Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huge Delivery Fee on Inventory Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought an inventory P85D - I was told the car was in Florida but it turns out its in Maryland. I am moving to Colorado so I want to ship it there, but Tesla is saying they can't do that for some reason, or there will be some huge delivery fee? I'm not sure what to think, but isn't Tesla supposed to ship the car to where you want?

u can only purchase inventory cars within your region.

A better way to put it is that they prefer you purchase cars within your own region. They were more than willing to ship inventory cars from Texas and Florida to NC for me, but I ended up with a CPO instead. They can make the move happen, but I do believe it is over $1k to transport it. For CPO cars, they charge $500/$1k/$1.5k depending on how far it needs to go. I have to imagine they got that pricing from the carrier agreements they likely already had in place for inventory and factory ship cars.

They are not charging me at all to ship my inventory car from Chicago to Mpls. However, my store's SM would not share any cars from outside the region with me when I was looking. This is probably one reason why, the cost and logistics of shipping. I know they ship CPO cars between regions, for a price. How much is "huge"? Is it more than they charge to deliver CPO cars?

Whatever you do don't let them put in on a train you won't see it for months.

Id pay for private transport to get it wherever you want it go in an expeditious manner rather than leaving it up to a really slow bureaucratic process. It's worth it.

A better way to put it is that they prefer you purchase cars within your own region. They were more than willing to ship inventory cars from Texas and Florida to NC for me, but I ended up with a CPO instead. They can make the move happen, but I do believe it is over $1k to transport it. For CPO cars, they charge $500/$1k/$1.5k depending on how far it needs to go. I have to imagine they got that pricing from the carrier agreements they likely already had in place for inventory and factory ship cars.

I don't believe there are any shipping charges for inventory vehicles purchased within the same region. I would not have a used vehicle shipped to me because I may have to accept the condition of the car as being used. Which means there could be stains on the seats, internal wear and tear. I would go inspect the vehicle and if possible pick it up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not charging me at all to ship my inventory car from Chicago to Mpls. However, my store's SM would not share any cars from outside the region with me when I was looking. This is probably one reason why, the cost and logistics of shipping. I know they ship CPO cars between regions, for a price. How much is "huge"? Is it more than they charge to deliver CPO cars?

You will have to call a store at that region, fly up there and drive it back. However if you have already paid a deposit, then your deposit is stuck with you DS to get within the same region. I offered to drive up to a store within the same region to view the vehicle and my DS did not let me.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you do don't let them put in on a train you won't see it for months.

Id pay for private transport to get it wherever you want it go in an expeditious manner rather than leaving it up to a really slow bureaucratic process. It's worth it.

Yes, it could take a month for the vehicle to be shipped.

I don't believe there are any shipping charges for inventory vehicles purchased within the same region. I would not have a used vehicle shipped to me because I may have to accept the condition of the car as being used. Which means there could be stains on the seats, internal wear and tear. I would go inspect the vehicle and if possible pick it up from there.

Well, I went back to my notes. The Texas and Florida cars both would carry a $750 delivery fee for me to get the car shipped to NC. Note, Texas is not in the same region. Florida was, but it was coming from Dania Beach, so distance wise, it was essentially going cross region even though it officially wasn't. That said, these were in March and Tesla has been more than willing to change their mind. On the CPO side, a week before I ordered my DC -> NC car, @lolgas ordered his Atlanta -> DC car with $0 for transport/shipping.

If it were me & that was my perfect car, I'd fly out and drive it back myself. Nothing like a road trip to spend some quality time with a new car.
Unless you're picking it up in a state with high sales tax and taking it to a state with low sales tax. A number of years ago I bought a rare ICE in CA because it was the only way to get one. Paying the CA tax instead of that of my own state made picking it up in person very unattractive. I ended up just having it shipped and saved a good bit of money.

Unless you're picking it up in a state with high sales tax and taking it to a state with low sales tax. A number of years ago I bought a rare ICE in CA because it was the only way to get one. Paying the CA tax instead of that of my own state made picking it up in person very unattractive. I ended up just having it shipped and saved a good bit of money.

While I completely agree with this, it also depends on the state. I flew to VA (DC area) and drove my Model S to NC. I did not pay VA tax. In fact, they even had a NC temp tag and registration on the car and collected NC tax (3%) on my MVPA and had NC title and registration paperwork for me to sign. The only thing they hadn't done/couldn't do was the NC state safety inspection of my car.

While I completely agree with this, it also depends on the state. I flew to VA (DC area) and drove my Model S to NC. I did not pay VA tax. In fact, they even had a NC temp tag and registration on the car and collected NC tax (3%) on my MVPA and had NC title and registration paperwork for me to sign. The only thing they hadn't done/couldn't do was the NC state safety inspection of my car.
Indeed, that's exactly correct. It does vary by state. Sometimes states near each other have taxation reciprocity for vehicle sales, such as what you aparently found between NC and VA. So while that's definitely good to point out, it's pretty unlikely that FL and CO have such an agreement and probably doesn't apply in this case.

Indeed, that's exactly correct. It does vary by state. Sometimes states near each other have taxation reciprocity for vehicle sales, such as what you aparently found between NC and VA. So while that's definitely good to point out, it's pretty unlikely that FL and CO have such an agreement and probably doesn't apply in this case.

True, but in this case, if the Op has a higher than 6% tax rate in Colorado, they will get a credit for the 6% paid in Florida. Florida requires the 6% to give a temporary transit plate with is valid with out-of-state insurance (so no need for special insurance). This quote is from Mesa County, but I would imagine it would be the same in all counties/cities in Colorado...

http://clerk.mesacounty.us/mv/sales-tax.aspx
  • If you paid sales tax in another state, please bring your proof of sales tax paid. We will give you credit for the tax collected and collect any remaining tax.
  • If the taxes were "over collected" in another state, we cannot offer a refund or credit for taxes paid in another state.

According to the same page, the City of Grand Junction has a total of 7.65% tax for car purchases:
- 2.9% CO State
- 2% Mesa County
- 2.75% City of Grand Junction

Chances are good that the Op would be over 6%.

But I totally agree with you Giz, the devil is in the details and each buyer should take into their personal considerations and tax rates. Plus a Florida -> Colorado drive would not be a single-day affair like my DC -> NC drive. The value of your own time should be taken into account as well.

I just bought an inventory P85D - I was told the car was in Florida but it turns out its in Maryland. I am moving to Colorado so I want to ship it there, but Tesla is saying they can't do that for some reason, or there will be some huge delivery fee? I'm not sure what to think, but isn't Tesla supposed to ship the car to where you want?

You could easily save all that freight. There are any number of teen-aged boys just out of school who would gladly drive it to CO for you for free.
What could possibly go wrong? :)