Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioned \ Ventilated Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just was wondering if anyone had any information in regards to why Tesla doesn't offer air conditioned\ventilated seats? I have them in my truck and LOVE them. My guess would be weight more than anything but I doubt I'm the first person to ask about this so maybe there is something else, some other reason, why Tesla doesn't offer this.

Jeff

I asked this question 2 1/2 years ago and all I got back was that "Tesla is prioritizing other things right now". Well, they've had some time to prioritize, and have even introduced the Next Gen seats, but they are still lacking this feature. I had it in a few previous cars and really do miss it with the weather warming up again.

Cooled seats are the only major thing I really miss with my Model S. I've had that feature in the last four cars I've owned and it makes a huge difference on hot days. Considering Tesla is sourcing its seats from outside suppliers, this could probably be incorporated into the car in a weekend. A major misstep by Tesla in $125k+ car.

Interesting. I just assumed it was always an energy usage and weight issue but maybe there is more to it than that...

It won't stop me from buying one but it is a bit odd that my Chevy Silverado (which the Model S will replace), has that feature and the Tesla doesn't...

Jeff

Interesting. I just assumed it was always an energy usage and weight issue but maybe there is more to it than that...
I've pondered this as well. My thinking is, the passengers are what need to be kept warm or cool, not the general interior of the car. If you cooled the seats (already have heating available in the cold weather package), you would get away with less cooling from the AC vents I suspect. That might mean less energy consumed to keep passengers comfortable.

Having a heated steering wheel and seats really forgives a general lack of heat in the cabin - this would be the summer equivalent.

When I asked at the Tesla Gallery about cooled seats, they said I could use the phone app to enable heat or A/C in advance. That's not the answer I wanted to hear.

In the same conversation, I asked what was different about the Next Gen seats and she showed me a picture of them on the website. <sigh>

When I asked at the Tesla Gallery about cooled seats, they said I could use the phone app to enable heat or A/C in advance. That's not the answer I wanted to hear.

Yeah that's what I got, I don't fault the gentleman who was helping us with our test drive, he was just doing his job to point out strengths. In fairness, on my Silverado, when I remote start it the seats will pre-heat or pre-cool depending on cabin temp vs ambient external temp.

Jeff

Because The Tesla has a flat floor and no tunnel, it is more complicated to duct cool air to the seats.

I'm going to have to go back and look, but aren't there already floor ducts under the front seats for rear seat heat (in addition to the vents on the back of the center armrest? Somehow they've already got ducting running to the center armrest, so it should be a simple matter to get under the seats from there.

I'm going to have to go back and look, but aren't there already floor ducts under the front seats for rear seat heat (in addition to the vents on the back of the center armrest? Somehow they've already got ducting running to the center armrest, so it should be a simple matter to get under the seats from there.

The rear ventilation is ducted underneath the center console/armrest. It then branches to one vent under each seat as well as the vent at the back of the center armrest. There is no other floor ducts

I had thought the ducts under the front seats were intake for recirc and the only vents sending air to the rear are the ones in the center armrest. Is that not correct?
The rear ventilation is ducted underneath the center console/armrest. It then branches to one vent under each seat as well as the vent at the back of the center armrest. There is no other floor ducts

I had thought the ducts under the front seats were intake for recirc and the only vents sending air to the rear are the ones in the center armrest. Is that not correct?

No, I don't think so. Recirculate air usually comes from under the dash near the blower assembly. The under seat ducts are to blow warm air at the feet of rear passengers. The rear vents on the back of the armrest are for cool air conditioned air.

Because The Tesla has a flat floor and no tunnel, it is more complicated to duct cool air to the seats.

Only, at least as far as I can tell in my Silverado, the AC is built into the seat itself. On the back of the seat I have an exhaust opening that's blowing out hot air when the seat is one sort of like the air coming out of an evaporator. So I just assumed each seat had it's own small, self contained A\C unit...

Jeff

The vent is very narrow. I can't even get my fingers in there. I think that's a good thing. I've lost a few things before in my old car's vents. I woul be happy with vented seats. Just being able to use the cold air from the cabin would be enough. That's what my portable seat cooler does and it does a great job.
image.jpg

I agree that it seems to be an energy saver and only seems to needs duct work, newly designed seats, and a vent flange that is controlled on the interface. I'm sure it will come with time. When you think that this car never even existed a few years ago, it might not be fair to make the comparisons to established brands. They've done pretty damn good with the current product. It will be really interesting to see where they are at 10 years from now. You couldn't entice me into an ICE with ventilated seats over my sweaty seats Tesla! But good to hold their feet to the flame (or ice) to get onto this! It does seem pretty simple.

I agree that it seems to be an energy saver and only seems to needs duct work, newly designed seats, and a vent flange that is controlled on the interface. I'm sure it will come with time. When you think that this car never even existed a few years ago, it might not be fair to make the comparisons to established brands. They've done pretty damn good with the current product. It will be really interesting to see where they are at 10 years from now. You couldn't entice me into an ICE with ventilated seats over my sweaty seats Tesla! But good to hold their feet to the flame (or ice) to get onto this! It does seem pretty simple.

It is amazing what the S has accomplished. I bet we see some new features on the S when the X rolls out.