Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does your dash display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to keep in mind is that the left panel will be replaced any time you are using the navigation system. The advantage of having the media on the right is that you can always see it. Temporarily not seeing the Trips display while navigating isn't really a problem.

Cooling the car works a bit better if you set the temperature lower than you really need it to be (67) and control the temperature via the fan. If you are using that method, you'll be tweaking the fan speed a lot, making the fan an obvious choice for the right scroll wheel.

I keep the bottom panel permanently on Media since I change what I am listening to a lot. The top panel changes depending on what I'm doing. It might be navigation, web displaying Waze, Energy, etc.

1. Energy Graph (L), Trip Meters (R)
2. Sunroof
3. Navigation full screen unless:
  • in traffic I may use the camera for lane changes
  • on long trips I may use the energy display on trip tab to monitor range and progress
  • most of the time though it is on navigation as I like to monitor traffic and progress

One thing to keep in mind is that the left panel will be replaced any time you are using the navigation system. The advantage of having the media on the right is that you can always see it. Temporarily not seeing the Trips display while navigating isn't really a problem.

Also keep in mind that if you don't like or need the navigation directions on the left side pane of the dash you can still press and hold the left scroll wheel and go back to whatever else you might want while still navigating. You will still get little navigation popups when turns are required but you don't have to look at the navigation pane the whole time you are navigating. I find this useful when on long trips and I don't need the navigation information up on the left pane while traversing hundreds of miles of straight forward interstate.

Mike

What am I missing? How come I can't get my left scroll wheel to do anything except turn the media system on and off and adjust the volume? When I hold it down, I just get a symbol indicating the media option and I believe it says "blank" where the song would normally be, no scrolling possible. I need to get a pic when I get out to the car and post it unless somebody here knows.

I think you are doing it correctly. As you say, you should just hold it down and when the media symbol appears you should be able to scroll through the options. My only suggestion is to scroll up and down as maybe you are already at the top (or bottom.)

I think you are doing it correctly. As you say, you should just hold it down and when the media symbol appears you should be able to scroll through the options. My only suggestion is to scroll up and down as maybe you are already at the top (or bottom.)
I reset the dash and the touchscreen at lunch and was able to get it to work even though at first it still seemed to not be working right (choices not appearing). It took some fiddling, but all is good now. Thanks for the post.

And now that I have it working: :)

Left Dash - Energy Graph (last 15 miles)
Right Dash - Media Player
Touchscreen Top: Rear Camera
Touchscreen Bottom: Browser (almost always set to WAZE when driving)

1. Left side - trip meters; Right side - energy graph
2. Climate Control Temperature
3. Top - Navigation; Bottom - Media
Exact same for me except I have the Climate Control Fan Speed on the scroll wheel, not the Temp.
This is my standard setup, except #2 is on "choose your own adventure" default (I basically almost never use the right scroll).

The left is "generally educational" while the right is "critical" when stretching the range a bit.

1) energy (L), trips (R)
2) like brianman, I think it defaults to cabin temp but I've had it set to others before - basically I don't use it
3) map/nav (T), media (B)