Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Charging cable by being tripped over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
I was suprised that I couldnt find any other posts on this, but this past week while charging at the Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg one of their maintence guys tripped over the UMC and broke the plug that goes into the car clean in two. Happily the guy reported it and the hotel had a new charging cable overnighted in. I'm a bit shocked that the cable was broken this easily but due to the lack of posts it appears to not be a common occurance. I was also suprised that the wires for the high power lines are just crimped onto the connectors. It appears that they jsut pulled out when he tripped on it.
Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with the broken cable?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 954
jag

You should have called me immediately as I am only 5 min away from G-W Lodge and I would have gladly taken that damaged and v e r r y dangerous :wink: :wink: UMC off your hands for no fee while you charged on my HPWC.:biggrin:

btw, quickchargepower is a fantastic company

Last edited:
I would send it in to quickchargepower.com and them put a j1772 on it. They could do a Tesla head on it too, but the J1772 is universal, so that would be my thought.

I don't see the point in doing a J1772, we've got an adapter for it in the car.

Thanks for the link though, I'll get a replacement Tesla connector from them and then I can use it as a spare cable.

I don't see the point in doing a J1772, we've got an adapter for it in the car.

Thanks for the link though, I'll get a replacement Tesla connector from them and then I can use it as a spare cable.

Because a UMC with adapters is worth several hundreds of dollars used to those of us with non Tesla EVs.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Tesla UMC with a J1772 for $400 for use with a Nissan Leaf or a Kia Soul EV or any other EV you can think of that has a crummy 120v stock evse. If you toss in a 14-50 or 5-15 adapter I could use it right away, give me both and I'd pay more. If not I'd order the adapters from the Tesla site for $45 ea.

Fine if you repair it with the Tesla or j1772 connector and it sees use. Just so long as you don't toss it or let it collect dust. :)

With the quickchargepower J1772 route you can add one of their very slick J1772 extensions (when you can't quite reach the cabin/beach house/relatives dryer outlet) or have them extend your UMC up to 50' (as I did). I will stop by The G-W lodge again (I set up charging with their maintainance manager in '13 for another S owner) to educate them on the install of a 14-50 since a few of y'all have been patronizing them as they may now see the value of this inexpensive upgrade.

Good on the maintenace guy for reporting it. It would sure be a bummer to find it in that condition without anyone taking responsibility. However, GWL likely has cameras everywhere so nowadays we never know if people do the right thing because it's the right thing, or because cameras are always watching. I'd also be interesting in hearing if it was plugged in at the time since it probably would wrench the socket a bit to cause that type of damage. Also, if the maintenance guy had to pay for it, as opposed to GWL, I'd be concerned about keeping the salvage since he should be entitled to it.

Because a UMC with adapters is worth several hundreds of dollars used to those of us with non Tesla EVs.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Tesla UMC with a J1772 for $400 for use with a Nissan Leaf or a Kia Soul EV or any other EV you can think of that has a crummy 120v stock evse. If you toss in a 14-50 or 5-15 adapter I could use it right away, give me both and I'd pay more. If not I'd order the adapters from the Tesla site for $45 ea.

Fine if you repair it with the Tesla or j1772 connector and it sees use. Just so long as you don't toss it or let it collect dust. :)

I use a Jesla on a B class Mercedes and it's a fine dandy EVSE. You can probably mail them the UMC and get back the converted Jesla just fine or as previously suggested a Tesla connector with a longer cable..

The charge port on the car seems fine, which surprised me a bit too. I'll have the service center take a look at it the next time we bring it in, but that won't be for a few months.

Glad to hear it. To be honest, I worry about this a bit myself because when I'm parked in my garage, I frequently have to squeeze by the car with the cable sticking out the side, and I'm always worried I'm going to catch it with my hip and snap it off. It probably makes sense that the cable end is the weaker link and breaks first so that your car is still operable.

With the quickchargepower J1772 route you can add one of their very slick J1772 extensions (when you can't quite reach the cabin/beach house/relatives dryer outlet) or have them extend your UMC up to 50' (as I did). I will stop by The G-W lodge again (I set up charging with their maintainance manager in '13 for another S owner) to educate them on the install of a 14-50 since a few of y'all have been patronizing them as they may now see the value of this inexpensive upgrade.

+1 Link :wink: