Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 to be sedan AND crossover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not very surprising, given that the X is built on the same platform as the S.

What I'm really hoping for (after the Model 3) is a C-segment sized hatchback with a dual motor Tesla powertrain, to compete with the likes of the VW Golf GTx. I reckon that would sell really well in Europe if it was priced right.

I posted this in the Model 3 subforum, but thought this would be good in the News section:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brookec...t-model-3-lineup-to-include-crossover-report/

I wonder if the crossover variant is a response to the Chevy Bolt.

Yes, the cross over is a response to the Chevy Bolt, here is how it went down. When Musk learned of the Bolt, he got into his time machine and went back in time.

Gen III Crossover

attachment.php?attachmentid=6635&d=1339155745.png

There's a 'Hatchback problem" for american companies designing world cars. Americans prefer small cars as sedans, with hatchbacks being reserved for vehicles considered to be an SUV (and crossover). Most of the rest of the world prefers small cars to be hatchback. This preference is handled by established car companies building a lot of model variants. Tesla can't currently build a lot of model variants.

So with the M3, where does Tesla begin? With a model that best fits its largest single market, or the best world car? I think they start with a sedan followed by a crossover (hatchback), which is why these stories exist.

I wouldn't expect the crossover to be overly tall. Just a model that americans can claim as a small SUV, while satisfying the rest of the world's desire for a flexible four door hatchback.

There's a 'Hatchback problem" for american companies designing world cars. Americans prefer small cars as sedans, with hatchbacks being reserved for vehicles considered to be an SUV (and crossover). Most of the rest of the world prefers small cars to be hatchback. This preference is handled by established car companies building a lot of model variants. Tesla can't currently build a lot of model variants.

So with the M3, where does Tesla begin? With a model that best fits its largest single market, or the best world car? I think they start with a sedan followed by a crossover (hatchback), which is why these stories exist.

I wouldn't expect the crossover to be overly tall. Just a model that americans can claim as a small SUV, while satisfying the rest of the world's desire for a flexible four door hatchback.
I'm thinking the Model 3 will first come as a hatchback/sedan version like the Model S, and then the crossover. The crossover doesn't try to replace the hatchback/sedan, instead it covers those who need a station wagon/van/crossover. I think this is the best way to attract as many customers as possible.

I'm hoping that the hatchback/sedan and crossover are launched within months of each other, but knowing exactly how JB Straubel worded his statement would have helped. :/

Hatchbacks used to be widespread in North America, if you go back to the 70's. I don't think the hatchbacks on the market had much style going for them. When the minivan craze started in the mid 80's, I think most practicality-oriented people who used to drive hatchbacks switched to minivans, and everyone else went to sedans and coupes.

I'm thinking the Model 3 will first come as a hatchback/sedan version like the Model S, and then the crossover. The crossover doesn't try to replace the hatchback/sedan, instead it covers those who need a station wagon/van/crossover. I think this is the best way to attract as many customers as possible.

I'm hoping that the hatchback/sedan and crossover are launched within months of each other, but knowing exactly how JB Straubel worded his statement would have helped. :/

Look at the top cars sold in america. Not hatchback. By sedan I'm referring to a car with a trunk, not a hatchback.

I'm not arguing what is subjectively best, just the market's clear preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Minivans went to SUV/Crossover, especially for more upscale buyers. Every generation in the U.S. has a station wagon. Every generation rejects their parents version of a station wagon.