Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S meets Porsche Macan Turbo at the drag strip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a friendly competition between two friends that had to see by themselves how fast the P85+ was on the drag strip. I couldn't find much videos of the P85+, so this one is one of the few and hopefully one that will be interesting to watch. The commentator at the race track is french but understand that all he had to say about the Tesla was praises.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol i had a reaction time like that when the wife and i took our two compliance cars to the drag, fit ev / fiat 500e. the whole time the announcer was making jokes about husband and wife ev drivers battling. on one run right as we were lining up he said something to the effect of "...and here's the husband and wife evs again, the looser is gona have to cook dinner for the week." and... my mind just hung on it as the tree went green. i was easily like 3 cars behind by the time i came too...

I wonder what camera they were using. The video quality looked really good on that.

I am pretty sure at least a camera on the P85 is a gopro, Hero3 or before.
(At 1:11, you can see the cover of one camera.)
It is possible to extract a good quality video from these camera, but it is not that easy.

Regarding the drag race itself, it is quite sad the Porsche driver was distracted, I find it hard to compare the two cars when they made such a different start.

Pretty good assumption. The camera on the Porsche is a Gopro HD Hero 2, the camera shooting backward on the Tesla is a Gopro 3 Black and the one shooting at the Porsche (the Porsche didn't stay aside for long) was a GoPro 3+ Black. Another one should arrive soon, a GoPro 4 Black this time. We can definately the difference in quality accross all camera. The colors on the camera shooting on the side are awesome and the one on the top of the Porsche is just awful. I am testing for different point of view combination, that one was not too bad. I was shooting at 1080p/60 narrow angle on the GoPro 3, 1080p/60 wide on the GoPro 3+ and a poor 1080p/30 on the HD Hero 2.

Now let me explained what happened to the Porsche. It was his first experience on a drag race and I beleive it was is first try with the launch control as well. He didn't know that the launch control would stop after 2-3 seconds. This is why the rev almost dies right at the second the light turns green. You can see at his second attempt that he did a bit better. The third attempt that I didn't bother filming was similar but he did it the good old way, manual launch. At the end, it's all about having fun.

I am pretty sure at least a camera on the P85 is a gopro, Hero3 or before.
(At 1:11, you can see the cover of one camera.)
It is possible to extract a good quality video from these camera, but it is not that easy.

Regarding the drag race itself, it is quite sad the Porsche driver was distracted, I find it hard to compare the two cars when they made such a different start.

Pretty good assumption. The camera on the Porsche is a Gopro HD Hero 2, the camera shooting backward on the Tesla is a Gopro 3 Black and the one shooting at the Porsche (the Porsche didn't stay aside for long) was a GoPro 3+ Black. Another one should arrive soon, a GoPro 4 Black this time. We can definately the difference in quality accross all camera. The colors on the camera shooting on the side are awesome and the one on the top of the Porsche is just awful. I am testing for different point of view combination, that one was not too bad. I was shooting at 1080p/60 narrow angle on the GoPro 3, 1080p/60 wide on the GoPro 3+ and a poor 1080p/30 on the HD Hero 2.

Now let me explained what happened to the Porsche. It was his first experience on a drag race and I beleive it was is first try with the launch control as well. He didn't know that the launch control would stop after 2-3 seconds. This is why the rev almost dies right at the second the light turns green. You can see at his second attempt that he did a bit better. The third attempt that I didn't bother filming was similar but he did it the good old way, manual launch. At the end, it's all about having fun.

Thanks !

Okay, I see why the Porsche had a bad start. Is is more important to have fun than to get a good video back.

I am curious, as a driver, how do you know when it is time to start ? Is there a greenlight somewhere ? I never seem to see it on videos. (Dragraces are not common where I live.)

There is a light tree the two top lights are for alignment. When the two are on it means that your wheels are on the spot and you are ready. The the countdown will start with three yellow lights. They are lit one after the other in a sequence. Once the third is lit, a green light will go on to tell you that you are good to go. If you star on time nothing else happen if you start before the green light is lit then a red light gets lit to tell you that you have a fault.

My trick is tobstart right after the last yellow light turn off. My reaction time makes that the car start moving only a fraction of time after the green light. I'm sure we can see that at the beginning of the video since I was filming the camaro racing before us.

There is a light tree the two top lights are for alignment. When the two are on it means that your wheels are on the spot and you are ready. The the countdown will start with three yellow lights. They are lit one after the other in a sequence. Once the third is lit, a green light will go on to tell you that you are good to go. If you star on time nothing else happen if you start before the green light is lit then a red light gets lit to tell you that you have a fault.

My trick is tobstart right after the last yellow light turn off. My reaction time makes that the car start moving only a fraction of time after the green light. I'm sure we can see that at the beginning of the video since I was filming the camaro racing before us.

Now I feel stupid… It was indeed visible right before the first run in your video !
Thanks for the detailed explanation.