Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC Vibration Footwell?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Sorry if this has been asked.

My AC seems to vibrate the passenger footwell, as well as the driver footwell and steering wheel (less so). The AC was set to "fresh air" (for kids, 3rd row seats), and when the fan goes to 10/11 (either manual or auto), there's a VERY noticeable vibration by the feet.

If I switch the AC to recirc (and it drops the fan speed to 8/9), the vibration goes away. If I turn the AC off, the vibration goes away. It's also not completely repeatable, has happened 3-4x in 3 days.

Is this normal or should I contact the SC?

Thanks Rockster.

If it always happened, I would assume it's normal, it's the intermittent behavior that makes me think something is wrong. O yeah, my AC was set to... 68 or 69.

I'll call the SC at some point... it's not urgent, and my car is only 3 days old, I'd rather drive it for now.

Thanks Rockster.

If it always happened, I would assume it's normal, it's the intermittent behavior that makes me think something is wrong. O yeah, my AC was set to... 68 or 69.

I'll call the SC at some point... it's not urgent, and my car is only 3 days old, I'd rather drive it for now.

The intermittent part may be related to outside temp vs inside temp or other load factors. Otherwise it matches the TSB on this problem and the fix is either a compressor blanket, new mount brackets, or both. Last year they planned the modification but ran out of parts before the appointment; I recently had the modification done this year and it seems to help.

Tesla is unbelievable, in a very good way. :biggrin:

I got a call today from my service center, scheduling an appointment to inspect/fix this issue. The guy was like "I heard you're having a problem with the AC vibrating in the passenger footwell?"

My VIN is/was not/never posted on TMC.

I got a call today from my service center, scheduling an appointment to inspect/fix this issue. The guy was like "I heard you're having a problem with the AC vibrating in the passenger footwell?"

I've gotten calls like that. They are very proactive on this especially for newer deliveries. As for your specific issue, I experienced it as well. When they checked my car, they found it had already had the TSB applied. It's only done this twice so far, but when its really, really hot out, I will get such vibration. Yesterday I got it, I had precooled my car for about 17 minutes, and even if I manually turned the fan down or switched fresh/recirc air, I could hear and feel the compressor. And sure enough, my power usage spiked. Absent turning off climate control, there was nothing I could do except wait it out while I drove. I really think it has to do with stagnant heat. The car sat in the sun (NOT charging) for about 3 hours, when I turned on precooling, interior temp (older style sensor in the steering column) read 124 degrees, and the still read 95 when I got to the car. I had it set for 68. However, just a mile down the road, the a/c began to seriously quiet down to be completely back to normal in about 5-6 miles. I think the first mile evacuated whatever stagnant hot air around the pack and that's what led to major cooling. When it does this, it is not unusual for my car to spike above 1,500 Wh/mi. Yesterday it was above 1,800 Wh/mi.

I've gotten calls like that. They are very proactive on this especially for newer deliveries. As for your specific issue, I experienced it as well. When they checked my car, they found it had already had the TSB applied. It's only done this twice so far, but when its really, really hot out, I will get such vibration. Yesterday I got it, I had precooled my car for about 17 minutes, and even if I manually turned the fan down or switched fresh/recirc air, I could hear and feel the compressor. And sure enough, my power usage spiked. Absent turning off climate control, there was nothing I could do except wait it out while I drove. I really think it has to do with stagnant heat. The car sat in the sun (NOT charging) for about 3 hours, when I turned on precooling, interior temp (older style sensor in the steering column) read 124 degrees, and the still read 95 when I got to the car. I had it set for 68. However, just a mile down the road, the a/c began to seriously quiet down to be completely back to normal in about 5-6 miles. I think the first mile evacuated whatever stagnant hot air around the pack and that's what led to major cooling. When it does this, it is not unusual for my car to spike above 1,500 Wh/mi. Yesterday it was above 1,800 Wh/mi.

See if that were it, I wouldn't even ask my question here. When the vibration starts (and it's been at least 6-8 times in a week so far), I can turn off the AC and instantly turn it back on and the vibration is gone (yet the AC is still blowing cold air).

And for me it didn't seem to be a stagnant heat issue, while it is hot here -- it's happened mid-day, it's happened in the morning (low 70s?), it's happened on my drive home from work (car is garage kept at work), etc.

And the worst wh/mi that I've seen was in bumper to bumper traffic, it hit 600 I think. My display cuts off at 900 Wh/mi (I think), does it adjust if it needs to go higher?

I'll update the thread in ~2 weeks if I don't forget.

See if that were it, I wouldn't even ask my question here. When the vibration starts (and it's been at least 6-8 times in a week so far), I can turn off the AC and instantly turn it back on and the vibration is gone (yet the AC is still blowing cold air).

And for me it didn't seem to be a stagnant heat issue, while it is hot here -- it's happened mid-day, it's happened in the morning (low 70s?), it's happened on my drive home from work (car is garage kept at work), etc.

And the worst wh/mi that I've seen was in bumper to bumper traffic, it hit 600 I think. My display cuts off at 900 Wh/mi (I think), does it adjust if it needs to go higher?

I'll update the thread in ~2 weeks if I don't forget.

To help distinguish the various components, the next time it happens, listen carefully as you lower the fan speed. At least in my car, I can now distinguish the speed of the fan running fast vs. the compressor doing heavy-duty work. Hopefully over the next two weeks you can further narrow down what is making the sound.

To help distinguish the various components, the next time it happens, listen carefully as you lower the fan speed. At least in my car, I can now distinguish the speed of the fan running fast vs. the compressor doing heavy-duty work. Hopefully over the next two weeks you can further narrow down what is making the sound.

Thanks, I'll look out for that.

While you're here... (unrelated to the AC) I think it was you, but maybe not. Did you have a buffeting sound in the car (as if one of the windows is open and the air pressure is not equalized)? Something about the rear hatch not being secured? (If it wasn't you, nevermind)

Thanks, I'll look out for that.

While you're here... (unrelated to the AC) I think it was you, but maybe not. Did you have a buffeting sound in the car (as if one of the windows is open and the air pressure is not equalized)? Something about the rear hatch not being secured? (If it wasn't you, nevermind)

It wasn't me, but I know what you are referring to. There are posts about it here. It's about 4 posts (two on the hatch lid, two on the deck where it closes) that can be screwed in or further out. What you should do is put a sheet of paper over them and close the trunk and see if you can pull it out. Check all four and screw in/out to adjust.

It wasn't me, but I know what you are referring to. There are posts about it here. It's about 4 posts (two on the hatch lid, two on the deck where it closes) that can be screwed in or further out. What you should do is put a sheet of paper over them and close the trunk and see if you can pull it out. Check all four and screw in/out to adjust.

Awesome, thanks again!

Yes, Tesla is awesomely proactive that way.

Not that hard to find without a VIN. Probably not that many 70D's delivered with 3rd row seating in the NoVA area on 6/12 to people possibly named Max. :)

Tesla looked at my car. They compared my car to other 2015 models, and determined my vibration/noise is consistent (aka normal).

They also fixed a broken door handle, and my left scroll wheel.

Last edited:
Tesla looked at my car. They compared my car to other 2015 models, and determined my vibration/noise is consistent (aka normal).

They also fixed a broken door handle, and my left scroll wheel.

I missed what was wrong with the scroll wheel. Did it just ignore inputs? Or are you the owner whose pressing of the scroll wheel didn't allow for switching apps?

I missed what was wrong with the scroll wheel. Did it just ignore inputs? Or are you the owner whose pressing of the scroll wheel didn't allow for switching apps?

I don't think I complained about it here. The volume would occasionally do nothing. I'd need to turn it a few clicks before it reacted. It was intermittent. They said some screw was loose, and they replaced the wheel.